Login / Register

What to do with a 7 x 9 x 8 room in a basement?
New Reply
Subscribe
4ever21
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear interested

What to do with a 7 x 9 x 8 room in a basement?

In before: move out of your room, don't mix there, buy >24 bass traps, etc.

My room is very small (about 7 x 9 x 8 - although I forget what's height, depth, width) and placed in a basement. My Yamaha nearfields and subwoofer are about 3/4 ' away from a wall, slightly off center in the room. This is probably the worst environment from a mixing perspective, so I'm obviously trying to treat the room as best as I can. Unfortunately my budget is around $300.

I'm trying to decide if I should buy the Auralex designer room kit, with 32 square feet of foam wedges and make my own 2' x 4' x 2" bass traps, or just go with making bass traps and forget the auralex. I'm not too sure where the overlap would be if I obtain both and if it would result in a dead room, or if the bass traps would be enough on their own.

Any other suggestions are welcome-

thanks!
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear Guru

The problem with this room is going to be near by walls causing a lot of comb filtering and low end build up. I would recommend thick fiberglass panels no less then 4" (I prefer even thicker). Thin foam is not going to fix the problem.
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever21 View Post
In before: move out of your room, don't mix there, buy >24 bass traps, etc.
Damn 4ever21 you beat us to it

Seriously though, you just can't overdo the bass treatment on this type of room. Do not even think about 2" porous treatment. 4" treatment straddled across all corners wall/wall and wall/ceiling as minimum. I recommend you sit dead centre in the room, set up your equilateral with your monitors and adjust the monitor position for best response (ideally using measurement software but by ear if necessary) Use broadband absorption at the first reflection point on side walls and ceiling. If still not getting a usable response check the axial modes and maybe use pressure traps (MLV or panel) on the wall space still available.
4ever21
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear interested

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. I took a look at what's available at home depot today, and it looks like I'll possibly be making 2' x 4 ' x 6" traps out of Roxul- if I can't find a decent vendor for the 703 stuff. I guess I'm forgetting about the auralex too.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever21 View Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. I took a look at what's available at home depot today, and it looks like I'll possibly be making 2' x 4 ' x 6" traps out of Roxul- if I can't find a decent vendor for the 703 stuff. I guess I'm forgetting about the auralex too.
+1

Remember, the thicker you go above 6", the less density porous material starts to work better at low frequencies. You can make comparisons with this:-

Porous Absorber Calculator

Rgds
4ever21
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear interested

Is there a downside to using both OC703 and Roxul? I'm probably going to spend the money and make four 6" traps out of 703, but if I can cut costs somewhere I would.

Also, if making 4 a good idea? I thought I read somewhere that the amount of surface area you can cover is one of the more important features of good bass trapping. So if I went down to 3" of 703 and made 8 traps...I'm on the edge of thinking that might be a better idea.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Also, if making 4 a good idea? I thought I read somewhere that the amount of surface area you can cover is one of the more important features of good bass trapping. So if I went down to 3" of 703 and made 8 traps...I'm on the edge of thinking that might be a better idea.
Yes covering more area is key but I would go with 4".
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search