New Reply
Subscribe
rez
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear addict

diy n-36 optimized diffusor

hello people at gearslutz,

we build ourself a nice diffusor for the back wall of our control room.
the layout was cox optimized n-36 and even if we managed to build it i would not reccommend our way of building that thing. there must be easier ways, but we started the build with relatively thin wood because i was afraid of the weight if we would use thicker wood for everything.
the stand under the diffusor will be filled with glasswool to be a big porous absorber.

peace, rez

here are some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
diy n-36 optimized diffusor-img_0586.jpg   diy n-36 optimized diffusor-img_0589.jpg   diy n-36 optimized diffusor-img_0590.jpg   diy n-36 optimized diffusor-img_0591.jpg   diy n-36 optimized diffusor-img_0592.jpg  

diy n-36 optimized diffusor-img_0593.jpg   diy n-36 optimized diffusor-img_0594.jpg   diy n-36 optimized diffusor-img_0595.jpg   diy n-36 optimized diffusor-img_0596.jpg  
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear addict

Looks great!

As far as I know, you're the first DIYer (and possibly the first person ever) to build this diffuser. For anyone wondering, this diffuser design is from Trevor J. Cox's 1994 paper titled "The Optimization of Profiled Diffusers".
rez
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear addict

thank you again, now i have a possible explanation why there were no reactions whatsoever to this tread...
being the first sounds nice, hopefully the diffusor manages to prove the theory...
what we immidiately noticed are far less reflections from the back wall and a clearer sound coming from the front. also to me the phantom stereo image got wider and the middle is standing out like you can grab the singer right in front of you.

peace, rez
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Looks nice.
Interesting method of construction. Was it wobbly/flexing until you built the outer shell?
rez
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear addict

yes, the inner parts were wobbly during construction, because they are only 5mm wood pinned together with very small nails with a nailgun.
we pretty much just figured out how to build it exactly while we were doing it.
that is why you see all those little woodblocks on the inside, they helped a lot in stabilizing the inner to the outer wood. one plan we ditched on the way was to make little cuts into the outer shell, so the inner wood could have been slid into this cuts and not slide around, but we didn´t have the right size of "carver?".
anyways if someone would like to build that design i´d recommend not to use to thin of a material but to use at least also 1cm for the inner construction. the diffusor would than be a little more heavy, but it will also be much easier to build. and it doesn´t matter that much if you need two or four persons to carry it, because that is mostly done only once.

peace, rez
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

http://www.onlineacoustics.com - Acoustics !

http://www.mel-music.com
- project of mine with a female singer

http://www.sonicflames.com - Indie Label & Audio/Music Services

http://www.spinousmusic.com
- my one man band project
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rez View Post
if someone would like to build that design i´d recommend not to use to thin of a material but to use at least also 1cm for the inner construction. the diffusor would than be a little more heavy, but it will also be much easier to build. and it doesn´t matter that much if you need two or four persons to carry it, because that is mostly done only once.

peace, rez
Thanks for the tip. Looks great, nice work
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search