Logun
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear interested

Wet Rockwool...

I've recently had a basement flood in which my DIY Rockwool Acoustic treatment has gotten a little wet. They're not soaked, mostly just damp.

I plan on replacing the wood/fabric, but don't want to part with the rockwool because it could get expensive to replace it all.

I've read place that because it's chemically treated mold growth shouldn't be an issue. If this is the case, I'm assuming I can just allow it to dry and replace the wood/fabric and I should be good to go.

I'm coming here for a second opinion or maybe for some advice from someone with experience on this specifically.

Thankfully nothing else was damaged because they were in storage, not in the studio.

Thanks ahead of time!

-Logun
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

I have had rockwool get wet before and I had to throw it away. Not good. It gets very sponge-ey and I am sure it looses some of its effectiveness.

If anything the fabric is the most expensive part. I am sure you can find a better source for insulation.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

You should run a dehumidifier in the room for a few days.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear Guru

I would let it dry out in a outside area (garage) for a few days then check it. It is hard to say without seeing it or touching it if it is beyond use.
Logun
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear interested

Thanks fellas,

I'll keep your advice in mind. I'm looking into replacing it now.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search