OC703 "straddling" corner question
Old 18th December 2012
Gear addict

OC703 "straddling" corner question

I have some OC703 type material (compressed duct board) that I will be using to build some bass traps.

I've researched that I should leave the foil backing on one side, and face that towards the room. Each duct board sheet is 1" thick. I will be stacking these to at least 4", to build bass traps for straddling the corners.

Will a stack of 6" be that much better than 4" when straddling corners?

Thanks,
Marc
Old 18th December 2012
Gear Guru

It depends. If you have only a limited amount of OC then make them 4". Covering more corner area of 4" will be more effective then less area covering with 6" thick panels. It is about thickness but also about over all coverage.
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
It depends. If you have only a limited amount of OC then make them 4". Covering more corner area of 4" will be more effective then less area covering with 6" thick panels. It is about thickness but also about over all coverage.
You are somewhat modest with your post. 703 is considered to be at best when 4" thick. For thicker absorbers, an air gap is used for the balance.

Like always, you do great posts Glenn.

Andre
Old 18th December 2012
Gear Guru

Well we don't use 703 but still implore a air gap with all panels that can be straddled. But if you use 703 and make it a solid 6" and straddle the corner it does work better then a solid 4". So I guess we agree!
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Get a room you two!

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search