Isolation / Treatment for Tracking Room
Kman
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear interested

Isolation / Treatment for Tracking Room

There are so many posts about control rooms, but not much about tracking rooms. I have two tracking rooms that share a wall (the control room is seperate) in a basement studio. I have been forced to update the room due to the ravages of time on the carpet and the foam.

The room I'm working on has 7 foot ceilings and measures 14 feet 7 inches by 10 feet 3 inches (150 sq feet). The room was carpeted and had 4 inch foam along the shared wall. The shared wall also has the door and a window (into the other tracking room). Both are sealed very tight and there is very very little leakage. I mean like almost none. The door is about 6 inches thick. I recently pulled up the carpet and put in a pergo floor (a plank laminate that looks like wood) and I have removed the foam which was glued to the wall (with lots and lots of glue!). The wall is mighty chewed up after I went after the glue with a putty knife. It's a secondary room but it gets a lot of use. The main room is where the kit goes and where I do a lot of the overdubs.

If possible I would like to avoid replacing the foam.

I've read in these forums that isolation is all about density. Could I avoid using studio foam by simply putting up another layer (or two) of sheetrock on the shared wall? Are there options other than foam that I should consider? My goal would be to keep the level of isolation about the same.

The room is significantly brighter now (which is great) but it sounds "smaller" to me. Would some diffusors help on the opposite wall (provided I don't put up the wall o' foam)? The opposite wall is just wall - no windows, no doors, just a smooth hard surface.

In general, what are the acoustical ramifications of having 7 foot ceilings?

You folks are a tremendous resource. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman View Post
I've read in these forums that isolation is all about density.
Well, mass anyways.

Isolation is difficult, expensive and it requires space. I'd recommend getting Rod Gervais's home studio construction book. Go through it carefully before you pick up a hammer.

Quote:
Could I avoid using studio foam by simply putting up another layer (or two) of sheetrock on the shared wall? Are there options other than foam that I should consider? My goal would be to keep the level of isolation about the same.
I'd steer clear of foam for isolation or room treatment. DIY with drywall, rock wool, green glue, etc. Remove flanking paths, etc.

Quote:
In general, what are the acoustical ramifications of having 7 foot ceilings?
Height is part of the geometry that defines room modal response. It also defines reflection time, comb filtering, etc. 7' is a bummer.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search