Tim's Corner Slat 2 Helmholtz resonator
Tim Farrant
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012

Tim's Corner Slat 2 Helmholtz resonator

Here is a design for a low frequency slat Helmholtz resonator designed to mount into the corners of a room. As drawn, it should absorb low frequencies from about 100Hz upwards, although this is only calculated. It also has a diffusive surface as a bonus. The timber sizes are based on a range of profiles available here in New Zealand, so some modification might be required to suit what is available to you. The Autex AAB material is 50mm thick polyestor blanket. The finish is up to you, you can leave it timber or paint it in which case the vanes will need to be painted before assembly. Alternatively you can assemble it and then dip the whole front face.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Tim's Corner Slat 2 Helmholtz resonator-cornerslat2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cornerslat2.pdf (446.5 KB, 918 views)
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

Thank you. Very nice!
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

You use wood to seal the sides, but it would be interesting to put absorbent there, or leave it open.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

Thank you Tim!

Andre
Tim Farrant
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusOfTrolls View Post
You use wood to seal the sides, but it would be interesting to put absorbent there, or leave it open.

If you are referring to the 18x135 vertical panels, they are needed to attach the 10mm vanes and 18mm blocks so they have to be there.
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Gear maniac
Thank you Tim. I'm in a studio construction process and this comes at the right time!!
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant View Post
Here is a design for a low frequency slat Helmholtz resonator designed to mount into the corners of a room. As drawn, it should absorb low frequencies from about 100Hz upwards, although this is only calculated. It also has a diffusive surface as a bonus. The timber sizes are based on a range of profiles available here in New Zealand, so some modification might be required to suit what is available to you. The Autex AAB material is 50mm thick polyestor blanket. The finish is up to you, you can leave it timber or paint it in which case the vanes will need to be painted before assembly. Alternatively you can assemble it and then dip the whole front face.

Enjoy!
Great Tim!
Don't you have a url to see Autex specification.?
Maybe another similar component can be used...
And, can be smaller than 1800 mm tall?
Tim Farrant
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012

The dampening material is not critical, but needs to be reasonably dense, ie, dacron type material is too light. Building insulation is fine. If you cannot find black you can hang a peice of black material inside behind the slats to hide insulation colour. Height is not critical at all but the bigger it is the more effective it will be in the room.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
...If you cannot find black you can hang a peice of black material inside behind the slats to hide insulation colour...
Colour isn't my nightmare. I'm just looking for an alternative material, since Autex seems to be unavailable in my country (as it seems at my first sight)
Tim Farrant
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012

Autex is a brand, AAB 35-50 is a 50mm thick polyestor blanket. You could use fibre glass blanket, it's not critical, just need to dampen the interior
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Autex is a brand, AAB 35-50 is a 50mm thick polyestor blanket. You could use fibre glass blanket, it's not critical, just need to dampen the interior
Thank you. Here in my country I think it's called "Guata", It's used to make anorak, pillows & cushions, isn't it?
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear maniac

Could it be build with Rockwool instead of dacron?
Tim Farrant
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013

Dacron for pillows is too light. Yes, you can use fibre glass but because the unit has openings the fibre glass particles will be exposed to the room, if this does bother you then fine.

Tim
28th March 2013
Old 28th March 2013
Gear interested

Hi Tim,
Should this also work if used not in the corner, but built square for in the middle of the wall behind the loudspeakers? I am thinking of building it for my music room, from floor to ceiling, width is about 60cm, height about 2,25m.
Thanks
Tim Farrant
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demsy View Post
Hi Tim,
Should this also work if used not in the corner, but built square for in the middle of the wall behind the loudspeakers? I am thinking of building it for my music room, from floor to ceiling, width is about 60cm, height about 2,25m.
Thanks
The idea with this unit is to "kill" the corner, ie, make it so acoustically the corner does not exist. I do not think it will be effective as a bass absorber in the middle of a wall and it will need to be made quite deep, 400mm at least. If you just wish it to absorb mid freq and act as a bit of a diffusor, make it about 200mm deep
13th April 2013
Old 13th April 2013
Hi tim! thanks for sharing this traps!

I have a question, can you still make them with thiner wood for body? In the plans says 18mm, what would be a resonable lower limit? 15mm wolud be ok?
5th May 2013
Old 5th May 2013
Gear interested

In your opinion, would these corner traps work better, worse, or as well as super-chunks?
7th May 2013
Old 7th May 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyT View Post
In your opinion, would these corner traps work better, worse, or as well as super-chunks?
and what happens if you put one of these over a superchunk ? Will it improve or damage the overall performance ?
28th June 2014
Old 28th June 2014
Gear Head

I think these were meant to replace super chunks. From my understanding hemholtz are suppose to be more effecient then insulation super chunks. Correct me If im wrong.

I was wondering if a slat and slot hemoltz would work in corners, Im happpy to see it exist.

Would it be ok to put the fabric in front of the slats instead of behind?
8th July 2014
Old 8th July 2014
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatelliteSP View Post
I think these were meant to replace super chunks. From my understanding hemholtz are suppose to be more effecient then insulation super chunks. Correct me If im wrong.

I was wondering if a slat and slot hemoltz would work in corners, Im happpy to see it exist.

Would it be ok to put the fabric in front of the slats instead of behind?

Classic HH are usually tuned to one frequency and do not cover whole range of "bass frequencies", while anything like super chunks do cover wide range of them.
8th July 2014
Old 8th July 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwprom View Post
Classic HH are usually tuned to one frequency and do not cover whole range of "bass frequencies", while anything like super chunks do cover wide range of them.
Your right "Classic HH" dont cover a range, but this is not a classic HH. The space in the back is of varying depth so its covers a wider range. From 100hz and up according to TIM
Tim Farrant
16th July 2014
Old 16th July 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatelliteSP View Post
Your right "Classic HH" dont cover a range, but this is not a classic HH. The space in the back is of varying depth so its covers a wider range. From 100hz and up according to TIM
Exactly. The calculated frequency range would begin at around 100Hz. I did not suggest this as a replacement for super chunks which would absorb a greater range, it is merely a "nice" acoustic object that I have used in control rooms with good results.

Tim
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search