please help me with bass trap and gobo questions
gamba
2nd December 2012
Old 2nd December 2012
Gear interested

please help me with bass trap and gobo questions

hi, i have some questions about bass traps and gobos. first off i will start with the gobo questions. my room is 27' in length, about 12' in width, and i have 2 ceiling hights because of a/c ducts. the ceiling hight for the lower part is 6' 9" and the hight for the the highest part is 7'5".
i would like to start recording vocals and an someone told me that i would first have to build a wall of portable gobos two separate the long room.
my questions are.

1: can these gobos be made with say a 6" gap on top or would that effect the results too much?

2: i plan on making these out of owens corning 703 2". would i have to go to 4" or would 2" be fine for what i'm using them for?

my bass trap questions are these.

1: i was told to pt tri corner traps in my front corners from floor to ceiling. my workstation is not that far off the wall in front of me,about a foot but it is centered. how would the distance from the wall in front of me and my workstation effect these traps?

2: would the tri corner traps have to be from floor to ceiling? i have a mantle on one of the corners, that is why i ask this question.

because of money issues everything would have to be a diy project.
i also want to say that on at least one wall, there would be an acoustic panel for behind the singer and a vocal guard in front of him to sing in.
everything would be using oc 703
thank you for treading this and i really hope that someone out the can help me. i have attached some pictures to give you a better idea. oh and the gobos would be going al little over 10' from the wall in front of me.
Attached Thumbnails
please help me with bass trap and gobo questions-img_0369.jpg   please help me with bass trap and gobo questions-img_0370.jpg   please help me with bass trap and gobo questions-img_0371.jpg   please help me with bass trap and gobo questions-img_0372.jpg  
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear
I'm going off on a tangent here, so bear with me. Start by making sure you have your mix position symmetrically placed side to side and that your ~equilateral triangle is lined up right. Now get a baseline set of measurements for the room. Search out threads here about REW. Read this too:

Before posting your measurement results

For room treatment in general, such as corner traps, just get some of the 6" thick unfaced attic insulation - fluffy pink insulation - and use that. You'll save $ compared to 703. I'd recommend doing a first level optimization of your mix position acoustics, then worry about the vocal recording treatments next.

So treat the front corners - and avoid the heat register on the right - with superchunks, put first reflection treatments behind your monitors and on the sidewall mirror points, then make a minimal cloud to treat the ceiling first reflection points. OK, now re-measure. Now go superchunk the back corners and measure again. What are those measurements telling you? How do you perceive the changes at the mix position?

For a vocal "booth", I'd make six gobos 24" wide x 78" tall filled with 6" thick pink fluffy insulation and put slats at ~50% coverage on one side and over 75% on the other. You could also go with 4" 703 on these if you want to. Put a 4x4' ceiling treatment above the vocal position and arrange the gobos Stonehenge-like around the mic and try different spacings and orientation. Singing is so weird for many people, to the point that if you can set up a comfortable space that has decent acoustics, the comfort part overshadows the rest of the equation. When you are not recording vocals, I'd use the gobos as a pseudo back wall with symmetrical air gaps.

If you want to go beyond the above, you could look at treatments such as polycylindrical diffusers or going after the remaining major modal issues with tuned pressure based traps.
gamba
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Gear interested

how do i do a first level optimization of my mix position acoustics? and can i scratch the corner idea and go with superchunks from floor to ceiling or at least just half way up to ceiling? and can you tell me why i would need 4" oc 703 as opposed to 2"? and last how thick do the first reflection points have to be ? i was going to use 703's on those too.
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear
You can search here for threads on the 38% starting point position, which puts the listener's head 38% back from the front wall. That's a common starting point, nothing more. Many people measure the dimensions of an equilateral triangle from that listening position that includes the closest fit of the monitors to the front wall with a 4" panel between the back of the monitor and the wall - leave breathing space if your monitors generate heat on their back side.

Once you have that starting setup, translate the whole setup a little bit towards the back wall. Finding the sweet spot is not trivial. I takes time to move, listen, measure, repeat. You should also do a bit of side to side variaiton, sliding the 3 corner positions in unison to leave the triangle fixed.

You can take this to obsessively compulsive degrees of overkill. I've witnessed seemingly intelligent, adult males that never stop tweaking their monitor positions. I'm talking about people that think adding a new potted plant next to the sofa in back means that he has to start over from scratch. No matter how much audiophile paranoia you apply to monitor positioning, some fool out there has done more.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search