Cheap Bass Traps for Home Studio - DIY
New Reply
Subscribe
ciperlone
30th November 2012
Old 30th November 2012
Gear nut

Cheap Bass Traps for Home Studio - DIY

With this topic, I wanted to share some tips about how I'm acoustically correcting my home studio, in the most cheaper and non-destructive way possible.

I also have some questions, and I would like any help you might give.

Although I don't have any "professional" studio treatment, I've manage to get a nice sounding room. Luckily it's not a small room (which would be acoustically harder to control) and I have extra space to put some stuff, and use it to control that awful "naked wall" sound - flutter echoes and crazy low frequencies.

I've study acoustics and room treatment in school years ago, and recently recycled all that knowledge (and also cleared some audio myths).

I don't want to ruin the walls or ceiling, unless I really have to. I didn't buy any "professional" studio treatment, because there are alternatives. I'm willing to buy some non-expensive stuff if REALLY needed. If it's too expensive, I prefer to study how it's done, and make a home-made version, adapted to my room.

I'm controlling the room with:
- 6 Mattresses (on top of seats)
- 3 shelves filled with books ("organized" in random order). On top of these shelves there are big boxes, near the ceiling, to cover the naked wall.
- 2 curtains.
- 1 big carpet on the floor. Needs more little ones, to cover the floor almost entirely.
- A big (painted and good looking) sheet covering the wall in front of me, behind the speakers, covering the wall from top to botom - TO DO
- The ceiling is naked.

I have Alesis M1 Active Mk2 monitors for many years, and I know them very well and listened then on very different environments.

As you can see in the first photo, I've covered one of the holes of the monitors, to remove some extra bass. With these close-field monitors well positioned, I can get a great sound know.

But, as you can see in the second photo, the upper corners of the room are naked.

Would it be better to treat the room corners and uncover the monitors holes?
Any suggestion on how to do it, and what to use?
Or it would be better to leave this as it is, and don't uncover the monitors holes?

I would like to enjoy the full bass of these monitors again, without them dancing around the room...

Thank you for all your time and help!
30th November 2012
Old 30th November 2012
Gear addict

I've tried covering bass ports on Genelecs with no real success. So I kept working on position and direction and it took care of alot of problems. I'm shooting monitor alignment with a laser and find they move slightly over time.

Sent from my Desire HD
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Lives for gear

Have you done any before/after measuring? I hate to say it, but everything I've read says that what you've been trying doesn't actually work (mattress "bass traps", book shelf "diffusor", etc.).
ciperlone
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Gear nut

What do you mean, it doesn't work?

Cheers
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciperlone View Post
What do you mean, it doesn't work?

Cheers
Like the man says......

Do some measurements and please do before and after. This is the only way to make sure if it improves or not. I don't believe that "bass trap mattres" will work under 100 Hz anyway where the biggest issue is.
ciperlone
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobecca View Post
Like the man says......

Do some measurements and please do before and after. This is the only way to make sure if it improves or not. I don't believe that "bass trap mattres" will work under 100 Hz anyway where the biggest issue is.
This home acoustic treatment worked very well for the uncontrolled reflections in the room. I don't know were did you get the "bass trap mattres", the matresses are mainly correcting the exceed of reflections.

I've done some listening measurements, but I didn't record them.

What do you advise to control the sound energy bellow 100 Hz?
ciperlone
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
...mattress "bass traps"...
Bobecca, gravyface wrote that. I didn't.

And yes, book shelves can be nice diffusers.

Of course this is not exactly the same as expensive audio treatment. But, considering the price, it does work very well.

Have you guyz tried it?
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Gear interested

It's easy to measure that bass traps are effective or not but diffusion is much harder. In my experience book shelves etc. are not effective diffusers compared to a correctly designed QRD for example, they diffuse a very narrow and random frequency range.

Ethan explains a bit here:

All About Diffusion - YouTube

Below 100Hz I use 6" OC703 panels with a 6" air gap but big corner traps would probably be even better.

I think the best is to measure properly, then get some scopus traps centered on the frequency you need. Or make something similar if you have the skill and patience to learn how.
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Lives for gear

Ciperlone. I think you can get much better results for cheap by building your own bass traps using fibreglass/rockwool. It will also look better. There is a lot of info about this on the forum.
9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
This home acoustic treatment worked very well for the uncontrolled reflections in the room. I don't know were did you get the "bass trap mattres", the matresses are mainly correcting the exceed of reflections.

I've done some listening measurements, but I didn't record them.

The title of your post is "cheap bass traps". Since the one picture shows the mattresses in (well near) the corner, I was assuming this was your "cheap bass trap"... or was the "bass trap" the part where you stuck rags in your bass ports on the monitors
9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:

Like you wrote, gravyface said it. That was the point.

For the advice, measure the room and check where the resonances are and attack it with proper tuned helmotz or pressure based absorbers. It's simple as that. I personally prefer Helmoltz and pressure based absorber if needed.

To use broadband as an absorber below 100 Hz is ineffective. To take 1/4 wavelength at 100 Hz it is needed about 0,86 meters of fiberglass.

I don't believe in bookshelfs as an diffusor as well.

So again, to measure before and after is what matters in the end to be able to see any improvement or not.

Last edited by Bobecca; 9th December 2012 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: Calculation error
9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkelby View Post

Below 100Hz I use 6" OC703 panels with a 6" air gap but big corner traps would probably be even better.
Would be intresting to see before and after measurements of yours. Is there any??
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobecca View Post
Would be intresting to see before and after measurements of yours. Is there any??
I agree it would be great to see measurements but I don't have any yet. I have a ECM8000 ordered though and will do tests when I can
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkelby View Post

I think the best is to measure properly, then get some scopus traps centered on the frequency you need. Or make something similar if you have the skill and patience to learn how.
The Scopus Traps are definitely cool and we use them in designs all day long, but for his budget and size of room I would recommend starting with something more on the lines of broadband bass trapping, like these. He can always add in something tuned though.
Broadband Bass Traps - GIK Acoustics

The following is a test we did and posted earlier in the year using both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
Bryan (our lead room designer) asked me to do a more realistic test (cost and room) that most of our customers would encounter. Basically a mix of broad band and Tuned so I did a quick test yesterday.

Empty room

Broad band (GIK 244) floor to ceiling in wall to wall corners (8) and 1 behind each monitor (2). I also put 2 242s on the floor as most people would have a desk or maybe a throw rug. Just want to take that into account.

As you can see it did clean up quite a bit but still has that ringing at 35hz. As everyone knows 40hz is not a easy task to deal with and 35hz is all that much harder!

The following is the Broad band with 8 2'x2' (so like having 4 2'x4') T40s Scopus Traps on the back wall.

Pretty much kicked the ringing to what you would want to see.

Here is the frequency response of all. Note with tuned it actually helped at 70hz, but we would only advertise this to around 60hz.

Here is the RT30 just to show the room is not over absorbed on the upper frequencies which we would treat from there.

Quote:
I agree it would be great to see measurements but I don't have any yet. I have a ECM8000 ordered though and will do tests when I can
This video can help you with the set up of program and running your tests.
Room EQ Wizard Tutorial - GIK Acoustics
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for all the graphs, info and link Glenn, will help me a lot
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search