Auralex LENRD Vs. Arsenal Pro Audio Bass Trap
New Reply
Subscribe
A_Steetz
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Gear Head

Auralex LENRD Vs. Arsenal Pro Audio Bass Trap

Ok, I know theres tons of threads about the LENRDs and building your own bass traps etc etc. But i found another contender (at least in the Canadian Market) that i's like to consider. After countless hours of trying to find info about this product i've come up with nothing and am at a cross roads.

Now i know that the LENRDs aren't the BEST option out there.. but i only need 2-3 pieces, its affordable, and it'll work for my application. So i found this: Arsenal Pro Audio Bass Trap

The only links i could find were on this Toronto Retailers page (a reputable local reseller).

Arsenal Pro Audio -Small Diamond Bass Trap (Low Frequency Absorption) : PlayDeRecord.com

& Play De Record - Play De Academy, Music store, Production tools

They've got quite a few products. I ended up talking with the actual distributor/manufacturer of the product. It's a start up business hence the lack of availability at the moment from other resellers. Heres our conversation:

Me:
"Do you have a website?

Do you have NRC charts for your products? "

Him:
"Hi. I will check with the plant I get it made. As for density, I have three different grades, my entry level "econo grade" is like the cheap stuff sold at prosoundfoam.com,. My medium level "studio grade" has a density like auralex and my pro grade is like primacoustic - very firm. For all my many varieties of foam, (about 300 different producs), it would cost me about 30,000 dollars to test. unfortunately I never considered this when opening up my company. But I do guarantee they perform as good as the brands I listed (the equivalent grades) or you can return them for a refund. I might just test out the 2x4 wedges and some of my fabric wrapped acoustic panels. But a couple grand for testing is not loose change that my company has at the moment. If you want my opinion just go with acoustic panels made of owens corning 703 or 705 which are tested by owens and the fabric that goes on them is guilford of maine which is panel fabric. That's what they use in real studios. Not foam. I build these also."

The Cost is cheaper than the Auralex gear. I just spoke with a guy at Play De Record, he said "it's pretty much like the auralex product in terms of look and feel" but he didn't know anything about its NRC rating etc etc.

I wanted to get some outside feedback from some other slutz! Based on what i see, its sketchy. but for the price its almost worth trying 1-2 out and testing their actual effect on a room in key spots.

Any thoughts? Not sure how i feel about the panels being flat, if that in fact has anything to do with low frequencies (im making an assumption).
24th November 2012
Old 24th November 2012
Lives for gear

A) "only need a couple of pieces" What do you need them for? Do you have a specific issue you're trying to address? Two of these (or anything else) probably won't do much of anything at all.

B) these types of foam products DO NOT work on bass frequencies. i would call it a 'mid-trap' if that. That's assuming the 'other' 'new' product is even of the correct type of opencell foam if it will do ANYthing at all. I would be especially weary of someone selling acoustic product that "didn't know" he had to get things tested...
A_Steetz
24th November 2012
Old 24th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
A) "only need a couple of pieces" What do you need them for? Do you have a specific issue you're trying to address? Two of these (or anything else) probably won't do much of anything at all.

B) these types of foam products DO NOT work on bass frequencies. i would call it a 'mid-trap' if that. That's assuming the 'other' 'new' product is even of the correct type of opencell foam if it will do ANYthing at all. I would be especially weary of someone selling acoustic product that "didn't know" he had to get things tested...
I just need to treat a few corners behind my monitors. Looking for something to teat bass/mid-bass freq. I don't want to DIY it and I don't want to spend a lot of money, nor am I expecting any foam product to be the be all and end all of my solutions. More of just a quick fix for the time being until I can get the studio out of the house.

I'm definitely weary about these things but its an idea worth entertaining when the only other contender in that price range is the LENRDs. I don't mind spending my money on an auralex product, just wanted to grab an opinion
25th November 2012
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
I would be especially weary of someone selling acoustic product that "didn't know" he had to get things tested...
My reaction above was: "So you really don't want to tell me about the measurements YOU have made?" Because, in my tiny non-pro acoustical world, I see EVERYONE measure. And I always have. Trust the ears but measure to learn and get more efficient.
25th November 2012
Old 25th November 2012
Gear Guru

It does not cost 30K to have lab tests done. Just an FYI on that one.
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
A_Steetz
25th November 2012
Old 25th November 2012
Gear Head

So should would it be safe to say that the auralex path is the way to go? At least all the information i want to know is in front of me with Auralex. Or take a chance on this product?
26th November 2012
Old 26th November 2012
Lives for gear

Even if you don't want to DIY, you can still diy. Just get one of the ready made bags, get the correct insulation and plop it in. Done.
No guesswork on what the performance will be or shots in the dark.
26th November 2012
Old 26th November 2012
Gear Guru

Too Little

Small amounts of LF treatment will have no effect.
Something like ARC might be a 'quick fix'.
DD
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

Who makes the ready made bags
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search