New Reply
Subscribe
eugenedent
13th May 2012
Old 13th May 2012
Gear interested

Help with recording space set up

Hi guys,
I have been reading this forum for quite long time, and I really wanna say thank you. There's a lot of great information!

I am pretty new to the art of recording, so I would like to ask experts.

What I have is a weird-shaped small room. I attached my drawing with measurements. Room is 8 ft high, has carpet floor, non-covered painted dry wall and "popcorn" ceiling. There is a built-in wall closet on the left by the entrance door (not a walk-in closet) with a sliding double door. There are two windows at 135 deg. angle to each other. I can move desk. Wall cabinets are attached to the wall, but it can be moved if necessary.

My main instruments are bamboo flute (approximately, same range as tenor recorder) and Native American flute. I don't plan to record drums or bass.

What I have in mind is to place 3-4 Roxul panels on the walls (purple color on the drawing), 4" Roxul gobo (green color), Roxul cloud right above the mic.

My questions:
1. Does it make any sense?
2. Do I need to place something between mic and entrance door?
3. Any suggestions in terms of set up?

I will do the room study, but it will take me some time to learn the software and how to use it properly…

Thank you
Eugene
Attached Thumbnails
Help with recording space set up-plan_4.jpg  
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Gear Guru

You are going to need to move around the room and figure out the best area where it sounds good to you. Don't forget that the ceiling is a also a source for reflections.
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
eugenedent
15th May 2012
Old 15th May 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
You are going to need to move around the room and figure out the best area where it sounds good to you. Don't forget that the ceiling is a also a source for reflections.
Thanks Glenn,
What sequence would you suggest?
Should I first do "standard" room treatment with absorbers and then move around or is it better to find the best sounding spot first and then figure out what I need to do to improve it?

Thanks!
eugenedent
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear interested

I've been reading A LOT of information on this forum about proper acoustic treatment. Very useful, and it eliminated quite a few unnecessary questions

But there's a main question: can room with this shape and size even work as a studio?

I guess I should start with orientation of my desk and speakers. Where can I place it? Can it face the corner?

Should I be considering RFZ panels or GIK Traps on stands or wall-mounted panels will do the job?

Thank you.
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenedent View Post
I've been reading A LOT of information on this forum about proper acoustic treatment. Very useful, and it eliminated quite a few unnecessary questions

But there's a main question: can room with this shape and size even work as a studio?

I guess I should start with orientation of my desk and speakers. Where can I place it? Can it face the corner?

Should I be considering RFZ panels or GIK Traps on stands or wall-mounted panels will do the job?

Thank you.
You are going to need bass trapping and panels for the reflection points for the most part. I would try facing the corner to the left of the mix spot now and measure (test the room).
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search