New Reply
Subscribe
hally
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear maniac

2D inverse N7 panel - confused again

Hi to all the diffusion experts, i need your help again

I have spent the last couple of weeks trying to get a basic understanding of diffusion and the various modules that can be built to achieve my difuusion goals. To date I have sucessfully designed and built 9 of the skyline type diffussors, an array of N31 1D diffussers, 3 standard and 1 inverse. I have turned my attention now to trying to build a clone of the FRG omnifussor from RPG which i understand to be a 2D inverse N7 panel. I am having a great deal of trouble trying to understand and design this panel using qrdude...I have read as much as i can find about these 2d panels but still i'm lost

Reading material...
QRDude design change disccussion
QRD diffusers: Technical Overview
Omniffusor dimensions

In qrdude i am trying to duplicate the dimentions of the RPG omni, working from the cutlist published here,
http://www.rpginc.com/ProductDocs%5C...usor%20FRG.pdf

I estimate the well widths to be approx 76mm and the fins approx 6mm. The 2d build is said to be 102mm (4"). When i input these figures into qrdude i am failing on the scorecard. I know there is shifting and optimizing and other advanced stuff going on which i just don't get.

Can somebody please hold my hand and help me get my head around designing and building this omni, thanks

hally
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear addict

Where is it "failing" on the scorecard?
hally
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear maniac

Hi Sebg,

here is a screen shot of the scorecard

thanks
hally
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear

it's not "failing"; it's an informational notice that there is only one true diffusion frequency due to HF cut-off limitation.
hally
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Gear maniac

Thanks localhost,

What does it mean
Quote:
that there is only one true diffusion frequency due to HF cut-off limitation
Does it mean that the omniffusor does not diffuse an octave above and below the design frequency?

thanks
hally
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hally View Post
Hi to all the diffusion experts, i need your help again

I have spent the last couple of weeks trying to get a basic understanding of diffusion and the various modules that can be built to achieve my difuusion goals. To date I have sucessfully designed and built 9 of the skyline type diffussors, an array of N31 1D diffussers, 3 standard and 1 inverse. I have turned my attention now to trying to build a clone of the FRG omnifussor from RPG which i understand to be a 2D inverse N7 panel. I am having a great deal of trouble trying to understand and design this panel using qrdude...I have read as much as i can find about these 2d panels but still i'm lost

Reading material...
QRDude design change disccussion
QRD diffusers: Technical Overview
Omniffusor dimensions

In qrdude i am trying to duplicate the dimentions of the RPG omni, working from the cutlist published here,
http://www.rpginc.com/ProductDocs%5C...usor%20FRG.pdf

I estimate the well widths to be approx 76mm and the fins approx 6mm. The 2d build is said to be 102mm (4"). When i input these figures into qrdude i am failing on the scorecard. I know there is shifting and optimizing and other advanced stuff going on which i just don't get.

Can somebody please hold my hand and help me get my head around designing and building this omni, thanks

hally
You're so close - If you click the "No Shift" button on the 2D screen the whole pattern will move so that the zero depth well is at the left front position on the graphic, becoming recognisable as the diffuser you're trying to copy.

As far as the bandwith caution goes, this is a consequence of the ratio of the well width to design depth. Since these are meant to drop into a false ceiling grid, the ratio is pretty much determined. For better coverage, you could make them deeper.

regards,
Collo
hally
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
Gear maniac

Thanks a million Collo, I was just a click away, here is the the panel shape with the no shift button on...

Let the carpentry begin...

I think I will increase the debth to 5" or 6" and decrease the well width a bit to increase the bandwidth a bit....

regards
hally
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
Gear maniac

Happy to help out mate! Good luck with the build.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search