Vytis
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

Fibrolite

I'm getting slightly paranoid about being surrounded with fiberglass and rock wool all day every day - so I thought now's the time to look into building some eco-friendly itch-free absorbers for my new room. I've found a local dealer selling hemp batts (which apparently have acoustic properties similar to rockwool), however they highly recommend I also try out their fibrolite panels which they say are much better for acoustics purposes.

I'm attaching Fibrolite acoustics measurement tables that I've received this morning. According to the tables, their absorption coefficients are lower than 705/703, but similar to the type of rockwool I have in my current studio. I'm about to order a pack of 50mm panels (Sample No. 5) - just to try it out and see how it works.

I would highly appreciate any thoughts on the product.

What do you guys think? Anybody used these?

Thanks.
Attached Files
Vytis
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

Any thoughts on absorption figures?
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear addict

Fibrolite is relatively inefficient as an acoustic absorption material. If you want dust-free, see if you can get polyester absorption batts - similar to these:

Acoustic Insulation
Polymax - Office & Retail
Autex - Acoustic Insulation, Wall, Ceiling, Reverberation Control, Reduction, Acoustic Fabric

The Tontine Acoustisorb and the Martini Polymax Absorb have finer denier fibres (edit: finer than other polyester products such as pillow and furniture filling) so have reasonable flow resistivity.

Cotton-based products will still produce dust. I don't know about the Hemp products but acoustically I expect it would be better than the Fibrolite.
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

A coefficient of ~.10 until 1.5k is next to NO absorption. This stuff looks un-useable for ANY sort of bass trapping. I doubt 10 of these would do anything in your room other than act like carpet. I assume your local dealer is thinking that acoustic properties for broadband absorbers are similar to those used to reduce STC when implemented inside wall cavities, which is honestly hardly similar at all. I would recommend against it, unless you have some odd problem frequency at 1.5k which I don't really see possible if you have other traps. IMO, a better idea would be to wrap the traps in plastic.
Vytis
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks for your input, Sebg and kasmira! I truly appreciate it!
The dealer offered to send me a free sample sheet of 50mm thick Fibrolite along with my order for a pack of hemp insulation. If their hemp proves to be almost as good as my rockwool panels, I will replace everything with hemp to keep my studio clean.
Many thanks once again.
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vytis View Post
I will replace everything with hemp to keep my studio clean.
Many thanks once again.
Just don't tell any of the musicians the studio is filled with hemp...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search