acoustical properties of soundboard/foam
New Reply
Subscribe
griffingerritsen
19th April 2012
Old 19th April 2012
Gear interested

acoustical properties of soundboard/foam

I have a room for tracking that is roughly 20x30 ft with vaulted cielings. I made some broadband absorbers that fit in the windows with roxul 80 5ftx4ftx4" with a 2" air space. And it has a couple 8' theater curtains. But still I am not happy with the room. I am going to build a poly or 2.

I started thinking...

1. I have a bunch of soundboard laying around.
2. I have a bunch of rigid foam foil faced insulation.
3. I have a couple foam matress covers that I researched and figured out they are open cell design. I was thinking about rolling them up and covering them in fabric for the corners.

I have not been able to find any info on the acoustical properties of soundboard or foam insulation. The coifficients have to be published somewhere right?

If I had more info I might be able to get the room to sound the way I want with what I already have rather than just buying more 703 making it too dead for my taste. Bass doesn't seem to be a problem at this point. The walls are 1/2" drywall and it absorbs/ let's the bass through.

Thanks for any help.
griffingerritsen
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Gear interested

No Ideas on this? I found this page that has a lot of coiffiecients Coefficient Chart
I think they might be refering to soundboard as fiberglass board? But I don't know.

I can accept it if this stuff is useless for me, but I'm not the type just to take that as the answer. I need to know why just so I can understand. To me everything has some acoustical property. Ever hear how the sound of your amp changes when a fat guy stands in front of it?

I assume I got no responses because maybe these products have no practical application at a reasonable thickness, but I'm still not sure since I can't find any specs.
griffingerritsen
27th April 2012
Old 27th April 2012
Gear interested

Since I'm still talking to myself... I am not an acoustician or something, but, I think my room is sounding pretty good with the improvements I have made. The main problem seems to be right under the beam. There is a parallel wall that happens only there and is part of the problem. I am able to get rid of about 70percent of the flutter echo or whatever it is by just leaning a piece of plywood or rigid foam insulation against the wall under the beam to break up reflections. Soundboard also has a good effect...
But what could be the other 30 percent of the problem? My theory is that since it is at the high point and in the middle of the room the sound is getting compressed going both directions.

I don;t know what to do to fix this if it is the problem. The only thing that makes sense to me it not to put any instruments or mics under the beam...
27th April 2012
Old 27th April 2012
Gear Head

It’s very possible you’re having problems with sound up in those vaulted ceilings, especially with the size of that room. You could possibly make framed and covered DIY treatment from the soundboard placed against the vaulted walls and ceiling, but of course, hanging anything on a vaulted ceiling is easier said than done and may be more work than it's worth, especially if you're uncertain about its properties.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search