Calexico recorded by PBS in an all brick, rectangular room
Old 28th March 2012
Gear maniac

Calexico recorded by PBS in an all brick, rectangular room

If you watch a video on the PBS website of the superb band, Calexico, hailing from Tuscon, Arizona, it really puts a wrinkle on our thinking about studio room treatment.

I was shocked to not see bass traps, diffusors, or in fact any treatment. All the walls were brick. The band was tracked as an ensemble ("live") with all of the amps in the room, as well. Besides the reflections there's the added leakage and reflected leakage. No gobos, drum shields, etc. No floor monitors, IEM, or headphones. Aesthetically, it's visual eye-candy; but from a tracking engineer/studio POV - yikes it's against all the paradigms put forth on this forum. Yet, it sounds delicious and is meets PBS' audio standards for putting on the World Wide Web for public consumption. I imagine that they must have high standards, as would the band, themselves -- wanting their best public PR.

I typically do tracking as an ensemble in my studio. However, it is well-treated following the principles outlined in this forum.

I'd appreciate anybody's insights here. (A question like from the guy who A/B'd two different A-D convertors with and everybody picked the less expensive ones!)

Jump to Chapter 4 ("Two Silver Trees").

Video: Calexico - Namoli Brennet - Leila Lopez | Watch In Tune Online | KUAT 6 Video
Old 28th March 2012
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

The sound quality is a bit too live for my tastes, which makes sense given all the bare walls. But the bass is probably recorded direct, or very close-mic'd, or both. And the guitar amps are also close-mic'd as is usual. Further the ceiling is very high, removing another source of strong "early" reflections. So there's really nothing new here.

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts
Old 28th March 2012
Gear maniac

Autographed book copy

As always, you're right on. I was thinking all of these things but wanted some feedback.

Do you sell autographed copies of your book?
If so, how are they obtained?

Thanks again for your reply.
Old 29th March 2012
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 the Max View Post
Do you sell autographed copies of your book?
If so, how are they obtained?
As a matter of fact, I just set up a web store to do that.

The store will not go live until April 1, because the books won't be ready until mid-April. (I was told they'll ship to me around April 13). So I don't want to take orders and charge people until the book is closer to shipping.

Please email me from the home page of my personal site:

Ethan Winer - Home Page

I'll save your email in a folder set aside for these requests, and email you in a week or so with a link to the store.

Thanks!

--Ethan
Old 29th March 2012
Lives for gear

In my experience it is possible to get usable results in rooms like these. Remember, the sound is distributed very uneven. Once I did half an hour of math, measured the room with a tape measure, marked spots on painters tape on the floor and walls and avoided certain spots in the room, had the musicians set up on certain spots and then it worked. You wouldn't want to do that all the time.
With room treatments, there's usually two kinds of opinions.
A) the people who understand the basics and act accordingly
B) the people who don't want to put up with the effort to do so and won't spend the money to help their room to evenly distribute sound
Old 1st April 2012
Gear maniac

Ethan Winer book

Old 1st April 2012
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Thanks very much. My book will begin shipping in about two weeks, and I just updated my Book web page this morning with more information:

Ethan's Audio Book

There are links to pre-order at Amazon, or you can buy it from me directly. All copies sold direct will be personally signed, and also include two bonus DVDs. No need to explain it here because it's all on my Book page above.

There's no "read inside" so far because the book isn't available yet. I have no idea when that will be added, but I assume it will be at some point. In the mean time, you can see the entire table of contents on my Book page, which also lists all the accompanying videos.

I'd love to offer a discount, but my margin is extremely small because I can't buy in the sort of quantities that Amazon does. If price is important for you, definitely buy from Amazon through the link on my Book page. You're near enough to me that you're welcome to visit in person some weekend and I'll sign it even if you buy from Amazon.

--Ethan
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear maniac

ETF versus REW for acoustical measurement

Based on recommendations, I purchased ETF last year from Acoustisoft.

Now, it appears from your website that you recommend REW.

What's the reason?

In purchasing ETF, I also believed that Mr. Plumb would help me analyze the plots of my room and make recommendations as I've never done this before.

thanks
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear maniac

Does your consulting with the direct purchase include tuning my room, building bass traps, and diffusors for my studio?
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Based on recommendations, I purchased ETF last year from Acoustisoft. Now, it appears from your website that you recommend REW. What's the reason?
At the time, ETF was the best value in room measuring software. It still works very well, and so does the newer R+D software from the same company. But then REW came out. It's not only free, but better than ETF and R+D (mostly in ease of use). If you already have ETF and know how to use it, there's no need to bother installing and learning REW. ETF does everything you could possibly need to analyze a room.

Quote:
In purchasing ETF, I also believed that Mr. Plumb would help me analyze the plots of my room and make recommendations as I've never done this before.
Hopefully he will do that. Have you asked him for help?

Quote:
Does your consulting with the direct purchase include tuning my room, building bass traps, and diffusors for my studio?
Acoustic consulting through RealTraps can advise you on whatever you want help with. We advise people all the time on how to DIY when that's their preference.

--Ethan
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear maniac

write a book about bass traps and diffusers

Besides your Audio Expert book about gear, is it possible that you write a book about DIY bass traps and diffusers and room treatment, written for home project studios and musicians, written in the appropriate technical level for this group of people as opposed to a jargon-oriented, engineering-type of book for someone with a Ph.D. in physics and/or acoustics (i.e. "Bass traps, diffusers, and room treatment for dummies?"

This forum and your (and others') websites are very helpful, but it would be great to have all of it in one, in-depth book.

Thanks
Old 4th April 2012
Gear maniac

Hello Ethan,

From your online store (Cooltea) there is a note re:'USA Shipping ONLY; Please allow 7-10 business days..." , but will allow me to order the book from Switzerland anyway.

How am I to understand the note - do you not ship internationally, or is this only a note regarding the delivery time for US orders?
Old 4th April 2012
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Besides your Audio Expert book about gear, is it possible that you write a book about DIY bass traps and diffusers and room treatment, written for home project studios and musicians, written in the appropriate technical level for this group of people as opposed to a jargon-oriented, engineering-type of book for someone with a Ph.D. in physics and/or acoustics (i.e. "Bass traps, diffusers, and room treatment for dummies?"
The Acoustics section of my book encompasses four chapters spanning 122 pages, so that's my "acoustics" book too. It's a complete re-work of my existing articles - clearer, better organized in logical sequence - plus much new information.

--Ethan
Old 4th April 2012
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriHar View Post
From your online store (Cooltea) there is a note re:'USA Shipping ONLY; Please allow 7-10 business days..." , but will allow me to order the book from Switzerland anyway.

How am I to understand the note - do you not ship internationally, or is this only a note regarding the delivery time for US orders?
I'll tell my friend who runs the store that it seemed to accept your order. I don't know if I can ship to Europe affordably. So far when people have asked about buying from outside the US, I've sent them to Amazon which has distribution throughout Europe. If you really want to buy from me to get a signed copy and the bonus material, email me from my web site Ethan Winer - Home Page and I'll find out how much shipping costs. It shouldn't be too difficult to add that to the store.

--Ethan
Old 4th April 2012
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

I just checked and it looks like shipping to Europe costs $25 more than to the US. I'll have my friend add that to the store, and he'll add Canada too ($11 more). Look for that in a day or two.

--Ethan
Old 4th April 2012
Gear maniac

It must be good if it's from you.

I've read other studio books which have chapters devoted to diffusers and bass traps (F. Alton Everest, Rod Gervais, etc.) but wish for a book entirely devoted to DIY diffusers, bass traps, room treatment, and tuning the room complete with videos or photos for a step-by-step how to build it and for what reason.

Your past forum comments and websites have been extremely informative. I've always found that you are "straight-shooter." If it's from you, it must be good.

I look forward to purchasing the book from your website.
Old 5th April 2012
Gear maniac

Thanks for clearing that up Ethan. I'll probably put an order through over the easter weekend.
Old 20th April 2012
Gear maniac

Ethan Winer book arrival

A signed, Audio Expert arrived at my door today with an enclosed Tele DVD and online Realtraps video DVD. I can't wait to read it!

Thanks so much for your contributions to the community!

P.S. As per my thread, I tried to install REW which needed some Java download. However, the Java wouldn't install on Win XP Pro SP2.
Old 21st April 2012
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Thanks Max. Note that the DVD-R in a plain sleeve is all the online content for the book, and is unrelated to RealTraps.

--Ethan
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search