RPG Skyline Diffuser Art Panel Idea
New Reply
Subscribe
bnova
31st December 2011
Old 31st December 2011
Gear Head

RPG Skyline Diffuser Art Panel Project

I got a crazy idea from a video I saw on HGTV. Create an art diffuser using 4 RPG Skyline diffusers. After cutting out 624 squares(not really square which made it interesting) and applying three strips of double sided tape to each and sticking them on... 20 hrs later here is the result.
Attached Thumbnails
RPG Skyline Diffuser Art Panel Idea-104_5431.jpg   RPG Skyline Diffuser Art Panel Idea-104_5429.jpg   RPG Skyline Diffuser Art Panel Idea-104_5420.jpg   RPG Skyline Diffuser Art Panel Idea-104_5436.jpg   RPG Skyline Diffuser Art Panel Idea-104_5342.jpg  

RPG Skyline Diffuser Art Panel Idea-104_5458.jpg  

Last edited by bnova; 1st January 2012 at 02:17 AM.. Reason: mispelling
1st January 2012
Old 1st January 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnova View Post
I got a crazy idea from a video I saw on HGTV. Create a art diffuser using 4 RPG Skyline diffusers. After cutting out 624 squares(not really square which made it interesting) and applying three strips of double sided tape to each and sticking them one....20 hrs later here is the result.
That is gorgeous! I'm inspired
3rd January 2012
Old 3rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Very nice!
3rd January 2012
Old 3rd January 2012
Gear nut

I can't even imagine the kind of patience you must have lol
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Gear nut

I don't think this thread got the attention it deserves. Great work!
19th May 2012
Old 19th May 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnova View Post
I got a crazy idea from a video I saw on HGTV. Create an art diffuser using 4 RPG Skyline diffusers. After cutting out 624 squares(not really square which made it interesting) and applying three strips of double sided tape to each and sticking them on... 20 hrs later here is the result.
Can you tell us in more detail how you made this ?
bnova
19th May 2012
Old 19th May 2012
Gear Head

RPG Skyline Art Panel

Hi,

I put the 4 Skylines together and measured the outside dimension of the Skylines measured from the outside edge of the outside cubes. There is a small flange or lip on the skylines that create the small gap you see when you put them side by side(I subtracted this dimension so the pic would fit exactly to the size of the cubes). I found the pic on ShutterStock.com and paid @ $2 to download the highest res I could get. Took the file to a local place here in Atlanta that can print large poster size pics in high res. The poster was around $50- 60.00. I then took the measurements of the cubes(they are not square which makes it a pain in the butt). I flipped the poster over face down and made the lines with a straight edge. Each Skyline has 156 cubes so that is quite a few lines to make on the poster. I then labelled each square(1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, etc.... 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, etc, 3-1, 3-2, etc. Have to do this so you know what order to put the small sqaures on the Skylines in the right order. I then bought about 20 rolls of scotch double sided tape and proceeded to tape each square one by one on the cubes in order to recreate the picture. Oh, I forgot that I had to paint the skylines black first. Not a easy task unless you have access to a decent sprayer. I tried spraying first, but did not work so well. Ended up getting a triangualr sponge brush to get down inside the cubes. I think I spend at least 2 14 hours days to complete including the painting. If you have a decent spray gun and know what you are doing, that would save some time.Please send me some pics when you are done . It looks really cool in the end. I am getting ready to put some led lights inside the edges to add a background lighting effect. I will post pics when I get it done. Thanks for all of the compliments!
10th June 2013
Old 10th June 2013
Gear Guru

Where is that LED photo?

Amazing work here ... patience and craft.
13th June 2013
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

The best part is you only need to do it once. That looks amazing.

You could have made the process much faster by printing on smaller sheets and then using a paper shear to cut out the grid. Also, remember to paint the wood BEFORE you assemble the diffuser
27th July 2013
Old 27th July 2013
Gear Head

I plan on making some of these diffusers. I love the poster idea and may do that. But I do plan on dip staining each different length a different color or shade. That should add some visual interest to it. I'm not a fan of plain ol' black. And dip staining will be way easier than painting.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search