Trapping Traps
Old 21st July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by visa.the.dog View Post
Kasmira I was interested to hear any results you had with the EnGuard. You mentioned earlier that the company was sending you some. Have you checked it out yet?
Unfortunately I never got an e-mail from the rep and I do not have his contact info (should have grabbed it while on the phone - didn't really think about it)

I will probably try to contact him in the next week if I don't hear from him. When it comes down to it - I could care less if I got it for free or not, a pack of insulation isn't dreadfully expensive, I just want to get it to get the ball rolling in my friend's room!
Old 21st July 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by visa.the.dog View Post
Vince, thanks for the reply. What are you DIY people in the US using for an absorbent material? That stuff is hard to find!
While I've not found a North American source for any sort of polyester wool clone of Isobond, I've found two places I can purchase BASF Basotect G from. Sticking with one of the two materials used in the original product development seems a safer approach than experimenting with pieces of open cell sponge products as Audiothings (successfully) did. Basotect G ain't cheap at $154 per 4'x8'x4" slab but then neither is the comparably priced hot rolled galvanized steel sheets in the 12 gauge to 20 gauge thicknesses we require. So I've decided to stick with one of the original Freunhoffer recipes.

Happy Trails!
MTB Vince
Old 5th September 2012
Lives for gear

any news gernot?
Old 5th September 2012
Lives for gear

Recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVogi View Post
any news gernot?
No news regarding testing. At the moment I use the room for storing various acoustic elements and for recording (anything from vocals to drums) because most of the original acoustic elements I had for testing went to customers in the meantime.
Attached Thumbnails
Trapping Traps-tt0039_storage_recording.jpg  
Old 7th September 2012
Lives for gear

thanks for the reply!
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. E. View Post
No news regarding testing. At the moment I use the room for storing various acoustic elements and for recording (anything from vocals to drums) because most of the original acoustic elements I had for testing went to customers in the meantime.
I have to say that this is the most elaborate recording room design I have seen on GearSlutz thus far. Well done!
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTB Vince View Post
While I've not found a North American source for any sort of polyester wool clone of Isobond, I've found two places I can purchase BASF Basotect G from.
I've been trying to retrace your steps since I'm also in the US and am ready to purchase. Along the way, I ran into this page:

BASF PlasticsPortal - Foams - Basotect

The photo is interesting... It looks like a porous metal surround and I'm assuming Basotect G is behind it. I'm making lots of assumptions but considering that this thread discussed putting devices on the ceiling, I thought I'd further muddy the waters.

So if you're still watching this, MTB Vince, please post the contact info for the US suppliers for BasoG.

And, but also... While searching melamine foam, I found this material... Melamine foam laminated to MLV. With a metal plate face, this would be worth a look:

http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/fo...l_comp.htm?d=6
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Head

I've been following this thread and the related ones with keen interest, as I'm considering building my own plate absorber. This method appears quite potent.

Has anyone found a definite supplier for Basotect in the USA (or Canada)?

Thanks,
James
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasman View Post
I've been following this thread and the related ones with keen interest, as I'm considering building my own plate absorber. This method appears quite potent.

Has anyone found a definite supplier for Basotect in the USA (or Canada)?

Thanks,
James
Flat Faced Melamine Foam

Not sure if it is Basotect, but it should have the same characteristics. Compare the specs.
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
UPDATE: I've put 18 CIB modules sized 60cm x 40cm x 10cm [~2' x 1'4" x 4"] aside for direct comparison with more common mineral/glas wool sheets, propably Knauf Ecose type.
Old 10th January 2013
Gear interested

VPR

Quote:
UPDATE: I've put 18 CIB modules sized 60cm x 40cm x 10cm [~2' x 1'4" x 4"] aside for direct comparison with more common mineral/glas wool sheets, propably Knauf Ecose type.
GE.... forgive me if this seems redundant. Have you similar experience to Caruso when or if trying the Basotect G product in similar fashion ?
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Basotect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasar View Post
GE.... forgive me if this seems redundant. Have you similar experience to Caruso when or if trying the Basotect G product in similar fashion?
I haven't used any Basotect labeled product so far.
Old 11th January 2013
Gear interested

Thank you GE. Is the 1 X 1.5 m width/length relationship, critical ? That is, multiples of basically 40" X 60" as a benchmark ? I'm not sure this sizing was employed due to resonating properties, or merely a convenience based on available stock ?
Old 12th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you GE. Is the 1 X 1.5 m width/length relationship, critical ? That is, multiples of basically 40" X 60" as a benchmark ? I'm not sure this sizing was employed due to resonating properties, or merely a convenience based on available stock ?
As I understand this type of absorbers the smaller dimension of the plate is related to the minimum size for a given design frequency (and its wavelength), the actual sizing we see "employs quite some convenience", and a single absorber won't save your day :-)
Old 12th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
As I understand this type of absorbers the smaller dimension of the plate is related to the minimum size for a given design frequency (and its wavelength), the actual sizing we see "employs quite some convenience", and a single absorber won't save your day :-)
Hello G.E. I'm in the process of building some to get rid of the modes in my room. Can I ask you how many do you recommend to see a real improvement? I was thinking to build at least 2 panels 2mx1m. Thanks.
Old 12th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizt View Post
Hello G.E. I'm in the process of building some to get rid of the modes in my room. Can I ask you how many do you recommend to see a real improvement? I was thinking to build at least 2 panels 2mx1m. Thanks.
Thank you for your kind request but I'm sorry: I don't give this kind of advice on this forum.
Old 13th January 2013
Gear interested

It will be quite interesting to see results of the 18CIB panels. It may put to rest the notion bigger is better, as opposed to spreading absorption thruout the room. GE should be applauded for continued permutations. The velocity/pressure/location based nuances may become clearer. I suspect multiple strategic placement may mirror Tim Farrant's work with MLV over on another thread. The empirical is endless.
Old 13th January 2013
Gear Guru

Success

+1 tasar, G.E.'s contributions are very welcome.
I have to differ on the mirror though. G.E.'s designs are tested and show very powerful behaviour.
DD
Old 28th January 2013
Gear interested

Looking further, I found cold roll steel is stocked in 5x12' sheets, so pretty apparent the testing made " best use", ie 3- 40" pcs 60" in length. Just too obvious. Does still beg the question, arr the width/length measures critical ? I have thought of cutting the sheet up differently. Standing a couple 2' x 7' panels in the corners would seem as logical as any other choice. I'm to try Basotech G, Enguard, and what I believe to be a Caruso equivalent here in the States. Please indicate any reservations you might have re random sizing. I appreciate all the input here at this forum.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

I have successfully tested a 48" x 28" panel and it works well down to 40hz. I can't really say what effect the aspect ratio has, except it will change the modal distribution.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Plate Dimensions

Quote:
Looking further, I found cold roll steel is stocked in 5x12' sheets, so pretty apparent the testing made " best use", ie 3- 40" pcs 60" in length. Just too obvious. Does still beg the question, arr the width/length measures critical ? I have thought of cutting the sheet up differently. Standing a couple 2' x 7' panels in the corners would seem as logical as any other choice. I'm to try Basotech G, Enguard, and what I believe to be a Caruso equivalent here in the States. Please indicate any reservations you might have re random sizing. I appreciate all the input here at this forum.
In theory the plate dimensions make a difference in the modal distribution of the plate itself, as shown in Resonating.
Old 4th February 2013
Gear interested

Can any of the followers here provide me with a small Caruso sample ? Say a 4x4" block shipped Stateside ?
Old 20th February 2013
Gear interested

Anyone? Please let me know so that I can check a US manufacturers capability. This could be a benefit to Many
Old 18th May 2013
Gear interested

Multiple EPAs

Quote:
Gernot, was wondering if you had time to measure multiple sized modules as proposed above ?
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear

Status

Quote:
Gernot, was wondering if you had time to measure multiple sized modules as proposed above ?
I've emptied the room recently (to do some measurements for clients) and the mentioned modules are still available but I don't want to "announce" specific tests (and dates).
Attached Thumbnails
Trapping Traps-tt0040_empty-room-again.jpg  
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

New Run

Quote:
I've built numerous porous absorbers, membrane absorbers, Helmholtz absorbers, and VPRs within the last years always wondering which bass trap type would be the most efficient at the "last octave" where music key tones (~40Hz-80Hz) happen to match dominant room modes of "small" acoustic spaces (control rooms) resulting in standing waves.

Now that I have an empty room with different types of bass traps (see above) and a ready-to-go test setup available I kindly take your suggestions until the end of the year 2011 to compare different configurations directly for further public reference.

How to "apply" if you are interested:
  1. Check if a similar idea to yours has already been suggested.
  2. Use the attached Google Sketchup 8 file to "build" your setup with what's available focusing on the corner opposite the microphone (see example).
  3. Disable unused layers.
  4. Save your file with a unique filename (with date and your Gearslutz user name in it).
  5. Upload your suggestion as a Google Sketchup file to this thread together with at least one image for visual reference.

Some "rules" to keep the process transparent:
  1. No PM in regard to suggestions.
  2. Testing can be attended (5 seats).
  3. Suggestions may be rejected.
  4. Test results of approved suggestions will be published.
  5. No publishing of test results for commercially available 3rd party bass traps.
Started a series of measurements with similar modules compared to the original plan some minutes ago.
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Started a series of measurements with similar modules compared to the original plan some minutes ago.
With porous absorbers, enhanced with steel plates, both wall mounted and straddling, plus a ceiling configuration.
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
With porous absorbers, enhanced with steel plates, both wall mounted and straddling, plus a ceiling configuration. Promising results ahead!
Old 12th November 2013
Gear Guru

Go Gernot

OK, I'm ready, sitting comfortably, popcorn cooking.....
DD
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

yep... fingers crossed....
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search