12.5' by 10.5' room - Big enough for Poly's?
GuitarRuss
23rd October 2011
Old 23rd October 2011
Lives for gear

12.5' by 10.5' room - Big enough for Poly's?

Hey Guys, I'm treating my room right now. I'll have bass traps in all the corners and on the rear wall. I'm considering putting two large poly diffusers on the side walls. I would have traps for the direct reflections for my mixing position.

The room is 12.5' x 10.5' with an 8.5' ceiling. Is this too small for polys? I would also put rockwool inside them. I mostly track acoustic music in my room as I rent a bigger room to do bed tracks with bands. The floor is tile and the ceiling is suspended plywood with the real ceiling higher than that. For acoustic music, I like a live sounding room that sounds natural without any flutter echoes which am particularly sensitive to.

It's also a rental, so I don't want to do much that I can't move to the next studio.

Thanks for you help.
24th October 2011
Old 24th October 2011
Gear Guru

I guess you could but with a room that size I can't see wanting to keep much of any of the room tone itself. If it was my room I would focus more on absorption over diffusion/scattering.
GuitarRuss
25th October 2011
Old 25th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
I guess you could but with a room that size I can't see wanting to keep much of any of the room tone itself. If it was my room I would focus more on absorption over diffusion/scattering.
Thanks! I'll go for an absorption approach. The good news is that bass traps are a lot less work and materials cost than most diffusers. You're right, the basic sound of the room isn't that useful. I'm thinking I can buy a few sheets of fairly thin plywood to place against the walls when tracking acoustic instruments where I want some more reflection and it's pretty inexpensive.
25th October 2011
Old 25th October 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarRuss View Post
Thanks! I'll go for an absorption approach. The good news is that bass traps are a lot less work and materials cost than most diffusers. You're right, the basic sound of the room isn't that useful. I'm thinking I can buy a few sheets of fairly thin plywood to place against the walls when tracking acoustic instruments where I want some more reflection and it's pretty inexpensive.
Actually if buy plywood you could bend it and place next to the wall if you need too.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search