Login / Register

Room within a room - has anybody seen this working?
New Reply
Subscribe
Dissdnt_penguin
7th October 2011
Old 7th October 2011
Gear nut

Send a message via MSN to Dissdnt_penguin Send a message via Skype™ to Dissdnt_penguin
Room within a room - has anybody seen this working?

Hello,

I am trying to get the best solution to treat a concrete room 8 x 11 x 10 feet approx for recording classical instruments (... I know), and stumbled upon something very interesting. Has anyone here heard about or used one of this things or something similar?

Studiobox acoustic booth

EDIT: Just for the record, I talked to them and they sent me their data sheets.... far from impressive.

The concept is a modular recording booth with acoustic treatment and if I understand correctly, the air trapped in between the room walls and the booth would help to control bass frequencies in a similar fashion to a sheet-rock double wall.

I somehow suspect I would be better killing the room reflections an resonances to make it as dead as possible, but this idea doesn't sound so crazy.

So what would you recommend,

a. Basstrapping+acoustic foam+diffusers?
b. Sheet-rock walls a few inches away from concrete walls+acoustic foam+diffusers?
c. Room within a room or similar approach?

I was talking to an orchestra recording engineer, but my German is really bad so I am not sure I managed to explain myself.

He suggested I build a cabin inside my room with rocksheet internal and external walls filled with a mineral fiber. My guess is he is more concerned about external noise isolation, while my biggest concern is comb filtering

Thanks!!

D.P.

Last edited by Dissdnt_penguin; 10th October 2011 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: Caustic sense of humor... not tha funny after all
Dissdnt_penguin
9th October 2011
Old 9th October 2011
Gear nut

Send a message via MSN to Dissdnt_penguin Send a message via Skype™ to Dissdnt_penguin
Here is the plan I have, seen from above.

I'm sorry it's in metric system, but if anyone can help me I'd be happy to translate the measures to English system.

I am planning to design the floor with a wooden frame, thin wooden board on top and mineral wool under it. I am considering mounting it over a neoprene or rubber layer to avoid picking up vibrations from the floor. I was suggested to support it only on four or 5 legs, but I'm not so good at structure design (I can do it if I have to...)

For the walls I was suggested 2 sheetrock layers with mineral wool panels in between them, although I would prefer to use wooden panels also because I think they will do a better job at dampening low frequencies and will also be less reflective than sheetrock, but any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I was also recommended to avoid parallel walls if possible, but I also suspect I would be better with diffusers to avoid standing waves in the mid and high range, and seriously doubt a small angle difference would affect low frequency standing waves.

I will fine tune the booth once its built, but my main concern is getting the best possible starting point.

I have access to some Neumann and Gefell mics, but the room I have to use for the recordings is terrible, so I am in desperate need of help. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help!
DP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cabin.jpg (46.6 KB, 256 views)
14th October 2011
Old 14th October 2011
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissdnt_penguin View Post
My guess is he is more concerned about external noise isolation, while my biggest concern is comb filtering
I got your visitor message. For some reason Gearslutz doesn't email me when I get those, only when I get PMs. So in the future use PM or email if you want to be sure I see it.

Sound isolation and acoustic treatment are totally different. Anything you do to improve isolation in your small room will only make it even smaller. So I'd forget about building an enclosed booth with double walls and just focus on treating the room as well you can.

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts
Dissdnt_penguin
20th October 2011
Old 20th October 2011
Gear nut

Thanks Ethan!

I'm glad I didn't go with the room within a room approach. I'm currently trying to build broadband absorbers, but getting Pete Corning's fiberglass has proven to be very complicated in Germany. Although they seem to have distribution here, their contact information is nowhere to be found.

My second option (by the Austrian company Knauf insulation) DP-5 (50 kg/m3 - 3 lb/ft3 rigid rockwool boards) or similar are also incredibly difficult to find here, and haven't been able to get their acoustic absorption data sheets. I'll post the info here if I manage to find something useful.

Thank you very much for your reply and for all the guidance you offer to your fans and followers. I wish you all the best with your book, and I'm really looking forward to buying it!

DP
20th October 2011
Old 20th October 2011
Gear maniac

Rockwool's™ Sonorock™ line as well as their Marine products should be readily available. Also check out Isover™ which is comparable to Corning™ and even more readily available in Germany.
Also you might want to look into Fermacell™ for your isolation walls, as this is extremely dense wall board (16mm = 18Kg/m³) - much heavier and rigid than normal Sheetrock™ and much more versatile.
8th November 2011
Old 8th November 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriHar View Post
Rockwool's™ Sonorock™ line as well as their Marine products should be readily available. Also check out Isover™ which is comparable to Corning™ and even more readily available in Germany.
Also you might want to look into Fermacell™ for your isolation walls, as this is extremely dense wall board (16mm = 18Kg/m³) - much heavier and rigid than normal Sheetrock™ and much more versatile.
Thanks BriHar,

I finally found a supplier for DP-5 and DP-9 rigid rocksheet pannels. They have the same densities as Pete Corning 103 and 105 respectively. There are two lines, one for thermal inslualtion and the other for acosutic absoprtion.

I got it at Baustoff+Metal near Frankfurt, but they have offices all around Germany. They took about a week to get it for me, but no extra charge for the shipping.

Hope this helps anyone looking for it in Germany.
DP
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search