Treating Studio Rooms - pictures added
12th July 2012
Old 12th July 2012
Gear interested

Hellos guys !
I am kind of new on Gearslutz but I would like to ask you 3 questions.
Can someone explain the principle of perforated panels and there role in acoustic treatment. Are they used for absortion ? I have saw some models on internet with regular holes and some that look more random. Also when I watched this video from soundpure : Electric Guitar Recording Techniques - Blending Ribbon Mics with Dynamic Microphones - YouTube
I thought that the acoustic treatment of the control room would may be of this kind.
I guess there is foam behind those wood pieces ( with apparently random shapes).
Can someone explain a little bit on that ? Is there a way to calculate it ?

Also I would have an other question.
What would be the best way to treat the front wall if you are using speakers on stands with bass reflex ? I thinking about the dynaudio bm6 mkII for instance. I am guessing bass traps isn't is ? Could someone dig a little bit on that ?

An other question :
How to determinate the early reflexions points ? On one video Ethan is mentioning the mirror trick but I didn't find out...

The last one :
In a pretty small space, what would be the best way to set up bass traps. If I put to best traps on a corner I have 2x more surface but if I break the right angle I guess I have less L F build up there ( a also a better distance from the wall to the absorber - wich would make it absorb more L F - I am right ?). What's the best ? In the case of breaking the angle, what distance should I take to determinate the distance with the Fiberglass, the diagonal ?

I know those are a lot of questions, that may be not well formulated ( I new to acoustics).

Thank you very much for your answer and help !! Acoustics thread a rocks lot more than vintage gear blabuy.

and for those who like reggae here one of my vids : Duke Salomon - Indiaan (Clip Officiel) - YouTube
12th July 2012
Old 12th July 2012
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

I got your email, thanks for posting this here.

Those slatted walls in the control room are probably "diffsorbers," meaning they diffuse by alternating reflecting and absorbing surfaces. This is not as effective as deep QRD diffusers, but it's a good type of treatment for the side walls. The front wall doesn't usually benefit much from treatment:

Front Wall Absorption

You can use a mirror or math calculations to find reflection points:

Early Reflections

In most situations the side-wall reflection points are about halfway between you and the speakers. For ceilings they're exactly halfway unless the ceiling is angled.

Your other questions about bass trap placement can be found all over this forum, or read this short article:

Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts
20th July 2012
Old 20th July 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
In most situations the side-wall reflection points are about halfway between you and the speakers. For ceilings they're exactly halfway unless the ceiling is angled.
Right.. And to add here is a video talking explaining early reflection points.
GIK Acoustics: Early / First Reflection Points
6th August 2012
Old 6th August 2012
Gear interested

If I use Roxul Safe n Sound for corner bass traps is it necessary to add a paper backing? I'm in Canada and 703 is not available here. Does the backing add to the effectiveness?
15th August 2012
Old 15th August 2012
Gear Head

Hello,

I was reading trough this threat, and was like, well it doesn't have to be expensive to treath your homestudio.
I used these, the small one on the pic, I got them from a friend who receives electronic parts in them at work.
He saved them for me and now I have some nice stuff on my wall.
I think It looks good too...

The larger one I've bought at a DIY store and we're quit expensive, and even have less relief on the panels.

Sorry for the blurry pics, I might change them for better ones,when I look to much at them, you can't see my gear, we want to see gear, or you are no slut...
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
This is me going low end. Worked pretty darn well too!
Attached Thumbnails
Treating Studio Rooms - pictures added-_1030201.jpg  
21st February 2013
Old 21st February 2013
Gear maniac

21st February 2013
Old 21st February 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordae View Post
Hee, why bother with esthetics eh? ehe
27th February 2013
Old 27th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordae View Post
LOL! You made my day
5th March 2013
Old 5th March 2013
Gear maniac

So here is what I have been up to the past couple months.
Moved to a new side of town and decided to get a rental home, I loved the idea of a fully converted 2 1/2 car gerage because of its size and when guests come to record they don't have to go through the house, they can just walk right in. Then I put some gear in. ...

It sounded terrible! The most obvious was the insane abount of flutter echo in the room, and don't even get me started on how bass sounded. So I started with corner traps and auralex foam pannels behind my monitors.

Sounded slightly tighter but the flutter from the 2 large parallel walls was still driving me crazy! I also want 100% confident in the 2 bass traps per cormer.

So after getting some trippy tapestrys I made 6 4' traps for my first reflection points and 8 more 8' corner bass traps.
Oh my god! Not to sound cliche but this was the biggest improvement I have made in my studio. Soo tight and full sounding. I love it!
Go treat you rooms!
5th March 2013
Old 5th March 2013
Gear maniac

Dub post. ...
5th March 2013
Old 5th March 2013
Gear nut

Wait until you install a cloud at your first reflection point..then you will be in heaven
5th March 2013
Old 5th March 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spare Monkey View Post
Wait until you install a cloud at your first reflection point..then you will be in heaven
Glad you mentioned this. I was thinking about a large cloud but will not be able to mount on ceiling. Owners of this home bought us about 20 adhesive hooks for hanging pictures/ect on walls, because they said there is not to be a single nail hammerd into the walls

I would absolutely love a drum cloud or cloud over monitors, even have 2 more 10packs of insulation.
6th March 2013
Old 6th March 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHerdeSouth View Post
Glad you mentioned this. I was thinking about a large cloud but will not be able to mount on ceiling. Owners of this home bought us about 20 adhesive hooks for hanging pictures/ect on walls, because they said there is not to be a single nail hammerd into the walls

I would absolutely love a drum cloud or cloud over monitors, even have 2 more 10packs of insulation.
I hear ya. I went all out and bought a bunch of GIK 242 w/scatter plates, 244's and Monster Bass Traps w/scatter plates. They are all hung by nails but the 244 cloud is suspended(4") with wire from 1"x2"x2' boards crossing studs in the ceiling.. Anyways, before i had the guts to hang a 244, i was gonna order from a different place that sold 2"x2'x4' auralex type panels that were mostly fabric and core insulation. They are rigid and sturdy, but most importantly they are lightweight due to no wood frame. I suspect you could use super sticky double sided tape or velcro(so you can try different setups). You won't have the space, but maybe you could get creative with some solid foam strips and make a hollow frame to suspend/make an air pocket and just use tape for it all..I know you said that you already have materials, but this would probably be a neater solution. i think the place was called Acoustimac?
6th March 2013
Old 6th March 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
I was thinking about a large cloud but will not be able to mount on ceiling. Owners of this home bought us about 20 adhesive hooks for hanging pictures/ect on walls, because they said there is not to be a single nail hammerd into the walls
Might be a bit crazy but you could build a sort of wooden structure that would hold the cloud in place, a structure based on the floor and about as high as your ceiling. Or adapt your cloud onto 2 tall mic stands somehow.

6th March 2013
Old 6th March 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spare Monkey View Post
I hear ya. I went all out and bought a bunch of GIK 242 w/scatter plates, 244's and Monster Bass Traps w/scatter plates. They are all hung by nails but the 244 cloud is suspended(4") with wire from 1"x2"x2' boards crossing studs in the ceiling.. Anyways, before i had the guts to hang a 244, i was gonna order from a different place that sold 2"x2'x4' auralex type panels that were mostly fabric and core insulation. They are rigid and sturdy, but most importantly they are lightweight due to no wood frame. I suspect you could use super sticky double sided tape or velcro(so you can try different setups). You won't have the space, but maybe you could get creative with some solid foam strips and make a hollow frame to suspend/make an air pocket and just use tape for it all..I know you said that you already have materials, but this would probably be a neater solution. i think the place was called Acoustimac?
I'm jealous of your GIK treatment! I would love to have ordered from them but could not wait to save up for the good stuff, And at about 200$ for 10 traps its just hard to pass up. I like this idea about the foam strips to make it lighter, maybe that will be my next project. Kinda nervous about suspending a cloud on my ceiling with tape though, probably just put a couple hangers in the studs above and take them down when the renter stops by. ("Come onn whats a couple ceiling holes for a bad ass cloud?")
So if I plan on making these, would I want just 2 jumbos over the monitors? I'd love one over the kit.
Also you think it will be a noticeable difference for mixing?
Thanks
8th March 2013
Old 8th March 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
I'm jealous of your GIK treatment! I would love to have ordered from them but could not wait to save up for the good stuff, And at about 200$ for 10 traps its just hard to pass up. I like this idea about the foam strips to make it lighter, maybe that will be my next project. Kinda nervous about suspending a cloud on my ceiling with tape though, probably just put a couple hangers in the studs above and take them down when the renter stops by. ("Come onn whats a couple ceiling holes for a bad ass cloud?")
So if I plan on making these, would I want just 2 jumbos over the monitors? I'd love one over the kit.
Also you think it will be a noticeable difference for mixing?
Thanks
When the managers come by to check the Apt, i take my cloud down always. I used the boards only because i had double layered ceiling panels and couldn't find long enough threaded hooks so i used 2 1/2" cabinet screws to put in the boards. Then used cup holders(works remarkably well) for each of 4 corners of the trap.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search