Login / Register

Treating Studio Rooms - pictures added
New Reply
Subscribe
24th January 2007
Old 24th January 2007
Gear nut

I love the design and the drum sound. I have an extra box of 2' Auralex Mineral Fiber insulation. Will this work just as well in place of the 703?

I have a 11X15 drum room. Right now I have 4 small Auralex LENRD bass traps in the top of each corner, a few flat foam WEDGE absorbers on the walls, and a couple panels of the MiniFusor diffusers. It tightened the room ever so slightly, but I've heard people pretty much bash this overpriced stuff.
Jason Poulin
24th January 2007
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehe555 View Post
im a bit new at this stuff, and i've got a quick question:

how does one strike that balance between over-deadening a room with treatment and having no treatment at all?

after looking at the photos, the first thing that came to mind was, "i wonder if the room is now really dead-sounding." of course, after hearing that little drum jam, i'm convinced that it sounds great. but if i were to undertake a similar project, i wouldn't want overkill.

would appreciate any response to this. btw, i'm not in any way bashing ur work jason. it looks fantastic and i'm very happy for u!

I'd have to say in my case, with such a small room... There was absolutely nothing what so ever good about it.

Every sound and reflection was complete crap.... very tinny and springy (if you have a small room, low ceiling, you know the sound I'm talking about when you clap your hands)

I found by killing the room sound completely (as far as any reflections go), I can get tighter and more detailed recordings of the source and yes I do need to use artificial reverbs to widen things or ambient drum samples to augment the track. But hey, I can live with this... And I understand our limitations

Is this the best way to work? No... but for us it's the only way since a room is a room and we cannot make it bigger unfortunately... Although we are building a new studio now so I look forward to working in there.

I do have to say... when mixing, it is a lot tighter... I hear what the bass is doing and I can really tell the difference between instruments and their frequency ranges.

I'd say... if it aint good to begin with, kill it! (To a certain extent as well... You don't want to kill all of your highs or make it completely lifeless)

just my opinion... this was a very small room for tracking

This project was one small step in the budget and ONE LARGE STEP for the studio!!!!

Good luck!!!

Jason
Jason Poulin
24th January 2007
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

25th January 2007
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorl View Post
I have an extra box of 2' Auralex Mineral Fiber insulation. Will this work just as well in place of the 703?
Yes, but for bass traps you want four inches thick. So assuming you meant 2" and not 2', hopefully you have enough to double them up and get at least four 4" traps.

Quote:
Right now I have 4 small Auralex LENRD bass traps in the top of each corner, a few flat foam WEDGE absorbers on the walls, and a couple panels of the MiniFusor diffusers. It tightened the room ever so slightly, but I've heard people pretty much bash this overpriced stuff.
Right, "ever so slightly" is the key with stuff like LENRDs and thin foam generally. If you were to buy or make some real bass traps you'll get much more improvement.

--Ethan
25th January 2007
Old 25th January 2007
Baz
Lives for gear

Great job on all that work and very cool that your Dad was able to help ya out.

The drum clip sounds great, man
Jason Poulin
26th January 2007
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Great job on all that work and very cool that your Dad was able to help ya out.

The drum clip sounds great, man
Thanks man!

We had a great time building them, even though we froze in the sub 30 celcius temperature when cutting the wood... and the opolstery (spelling?) was a real pain! But still... it was fun!

Jason
24th January 2008
Old 24th January 2008
Gear Head

Bass traps with slats between

I couple weeks ago I read some posts about building bass traps with slats placed between and held together with bolts and washers. In searching I'm not finding that thread again. The pictures and how-to were very informative. Anyone know what thread that was?
Thank you,
Gary Gordon
29th January 2008
Old 29th January 2008
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcconnell View Post
3) Do not under any circumstances overdamp the room. It just sounds dead.

My recordings are WAY beter since the treatment,.

Diffusors + bass traps = gold
10th May 2008
Old 10th May 2008
Gear Head

hey jason, nice work man! i also own a studio with small tracking and control rooms with low ceiling... now im workin on some corner basstraps for the tracking room... and latter work on the control room, with traps, diffusers,.. a lot of work, but your traps and the result you got give me some hope!!! cheers
10th May 2008
Old 10th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno5150 View Post
hey jason, nice work man! i also own a studio with small tracking and control rooms with low ceiling... now im workin on some corner basstraps for the tracking room... and latter work on the control room, with traps, diffusers,.. a lot of work, but your traps and the result you got give me some hope!!! cheers
Have hope man... it's the best thing you can do for your sound. If I had to start from scratch, I'd invest in the room before the gear.

good luck!
8th January 2009
Old 8th January 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Poulin View Post
Have hope man... it's the best thing you can do for your sound. If I had to start from scratch, I'd invest in the room before the gear.

good luck!
Hey jason, thanks for the pics! How did you suspend your panels?
13th January 2009
Old 13th January 2009
Gear Head

In my studio, one large rectanglular-ish room, mix area towards one end, tracking area towards the other, Lanois -style. I built a varity of "sandboxes", similar to the ones built by the lad at the beginning of this thread, 1"x6"( 5/8x 5 inch in Canada)frame, in both 2x4 and 3x6 foot formats, plywood gussets for the corners, fairly dense green-death in the middle, stapled poly-sheeting on the back to keep the nasty stuff out of my lungs, and the visible parts covered in black stretchable speaker cloth. These are hung away from the wall by about two inches. The locations are specific where there were obvious problems and placed randomly throughout the rest of the room and at different heights. One short end wall is untreated, for a little liveness. Opposite wall has moveable curtains for some variability. Works great. Probably only 20-30% total wall coverage. Sounds nice and neutral, with just a bit of ambience off the untreated wall which is useful depending on mic position. Too much treatment just kills a room, IMHO. I have heard so many people suck the life out of a room, by overdoing this. That's quiet but, makes it crappy to play or sing in. This entire exercise cost about 150-200$ and took a day and a bit. It sorta looks like an "no-art" gallery full of recording gear.
27th January 2009
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

closet treatment

whats the best way to treat a five by six closet? it has no door and opens to a ten by ten room.

this would be only treated for vocals not monitoring.

do i want to treat the ceiling above me in the closet and all the exposed walls ? then in front of the door is where I would have the SERF?
12th February 2009
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

whats recommended for my studio room, foam padding, 1 inch, 2 inch, 3 inch all the way around?

or just foam in the corners, and bass traps?

the room is 8' x 8' x 6.5'

thanks
14th February 2009
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
If your looking for best of the best then work with a company that can guide you though it. If doing yourself then learn how to shoot the room and do a bunch of reading up on it. Over all though the key (like you said) is the balance. If building them yourself start with broad band bass traps with FRK to the front of them. This will keep from killing the highs then treat first reflections with thinner panels (no FRK on these).

Glenn
Hi Glenn, not sure if you'll see this or not,
I know i'm quoting you from 2007, but I figure acoustics haven't changed much since then ;-)

Just wondering if you sell corner traps that deal with this issue...
I have space auralex on all 4 walls in my small room, 2 inches off the wall to increase efficiency.... but i'm affraid if I do floor to ceiling corner bass traps like the ones you sell, i'm scared of really killing the room so to speak...
Do you make panels that have FRK to deal with Corner bass trapping?, what do you suggest.

regards
Laddie.
16th October 2009
Old 16th October 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddie.music2 View Post
Hi Glenn, not sure if you'll see this or not,
I know i'm quoting you from 2007, but I figure acoustics haven't changed much since then ;-)

Just wondering if you sell corner traps that deal with this issue...
I have space auralex on all 4 walls in my small room, 2 inches off the wall to increase efficiency.... but i'm affraid if I do floor to ceiling corner bass traps like the ones you sell, i'm scared of really killing the room so to speak...
Do you make panels that have FRK to deal with Corner bass trapping?, what do you suggest.

regards
Laddie.

Talk about being MANY MONTHS off on responding but yes the 244 and the Monster start to fall off around 500 hz which will keep life in the high end.
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
4th February 2010
Old 4th February 2010
Gear nut

any idea where I can get the best deal on studio foam for treating a 12x24 room?
8th April 2010
Old 8th April 2010
Gear Head

Thumbs up

Great stuff Jason! Really great work and awesome drum sound!

Was wondering if you could tell me where you bought the speaker grill cloth... I'm having a hard time finding a good fabric for my traps and absorbers :(

Burlap is just so madusa!!!!

Beautiful from a far but far from beautiful lol
8th April 2010
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyfunker View Post
Was wondering if you could tell me where you bought the speaker grill cloth... I'm having a hard time finding a good fabric for my traps and absorbers :(

Burlap is just so madusa!!!!

Beautiful from a far but far from beautiful lol
Guilford of Maine - Guilford of Maine
11th May 2010
Old 11th May 2010
Gear maniac

Incremental

I mounted some, listened then mounted some more. lather, rinse, repeat till it sounds good. If you go too far, take a couple down. Mine are on hooks or magnets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehe555 View Post
im a bit new at this stuff, and i've got a quick question:

how does one strike that balance between over-deadening a room with treatment and having no treatment at all?

after looking at the photos, the first thing that came to mind was, "i wonder if the room is now really dead-sounding." of course, after hearing that little drum jam, i'm convinced that it sounds great. but if i were to undertake a similar project, i wouldn't want overkill.

would appreciate any response to this. btw, i'm not in any way bashing ur work jason. it looks fantastic and i'm very happy for u!

www.mytinycircus.com
14th February 2011
Old 14th February 2011
Gear interested

suuuuper useful thread btw!

a few questions:

- any thoughts on fabric used to cover my bass traps? i picked up some suede cause i found a killer deal, is this an ideal material?
obviously you want a light, airy, material to take full advantage of the insulation, but whats 'best' for the traps?

also, where is everyone buying their 703 insulation? (cheapest ive found is $70 for 6 - 2" panels)

thanks!
15th June 2011
Old 15th June 2011
Lives for gear

Jason Poulin
26th June 2011
Old 26th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegafreak View Post
Hey jason, thanks for the pics! How did you suspend your panels?
Just used some heavy duty anchors in the drywall and screwed in hooks to them... then I used eye hooks in the traps and linked them with small chain to the hooks in the drywall

Haven't fallen on me yet ; (

J.
Jason Poulin
26th June 2011
Old 26th June 2011
Lives for gear

17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

Sweet!
8th July 2012
Old 8th July 2012
Gear interested

Acoustic Foam for drum room? will it lower dB?

I am hoping someone can help with this...

I have constructed the drum room to be soundproof......double studded walls with clips, hat channel double 5/8ths drywall with green glue.

The ceiling is clips , hat channel with double 5/8ths drywall with green glue.

Windows are studio grade 5/8ths laminated on interior, next is a 1/4 laminate and the exterior is a dual pane.

I have measured the dB on the outside while playing drums and is an average of 45dB so you can still hear it on the outside

I think my ceiling is the weak area as it is not double framed and sound is transmitted to the outside via the attic. I am trying to reduce that by adding acoustic wall treatment. I do not record at all,,,,, my goal is to reduce sound vibrations and waves by adding the acoustic foam....bass traps in all corners and the 2" wedge foam on wall going up the wall about 3ft. On the ceiling I planned to use 2" foam in a checker board pattern. goal is to reduce vibration in the room thus quieting the room leading to less transmission thru walls

My room dimensions are 11 X 14. Will this help? Will it reduce the amount of resonance or vibration in the room thus lowering the dB on the outside? If I could get it to drop 3 - 5 dB that would be awesome

I am thinking of adding Lenard bass traps in all corners....walls will have 2" wedge foam 3 feet extending up from baseboards.....ceilings will have pyramid foam 2" in a checkerboard layout

Thanks!!!
9th July 2012
Old 9th July 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to kasmira
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnson View Post
Will this help? Will it reduce the amount of resonance or vibration in the room thus lowering the dB on the outside?
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but, no. Not at all. Welcome to isolation!
12th July 2012
Old 12th July 2012
Gear interested

Hellos guys !
I am kind of new on Gearslutz but I would like to ask you 3 questions.
Can someone explain the principle of perforated panels and there role in acoustic treatment. Are they used for absortion ? I have saw some models on internet with regular holes and some that look more random. Also when I watched this video from soundpure : Electric Guitar Recording Techniques - Blending Ribbon Mics with Dynamic Microphones - YouTube
I thought that the acoustic treatment of the control room would may be of this kind.
I guess there is foam behind those wood pieces ( with apparently random shapes).
Can someone explain a little bit on that ? Is there a way to calculate it ?

Also I would have an other question.
What would be the best way to treat the front wall if you are using speakers on stands with bass reflex ? I thinking about the dynaudio bm6 mkII for instance. I am guessing bass traps isn't is ? Could someone dig a little bit on that ?

An other question :
How to determinate the early reflexions points ? On one video Ethan is mentioning the mirror trick but I didn't find out...

The last one :
In a pretty small space, what would be the best way to set up bass traps. If I put to best traps on a corner I have 2x more surface but if I break the right angle I guess I have less L F build up there ( a also a better distance from the wall to the absorber - wich would make it absorb more L F - I am right ?). What's the best ? In the case of breaking the angle, what distance should I take to determinate the distance with the Fiberglass, the diagonal ?

I know those are a lot of questions, that may be not well formulated ( I new to acoustics).

Thank you very much for your answer and help !! Acoustics thread a rocks lot more than vintage gear blabuy.

and for those who like reggae here one of my vids : Duke Salomon - Indiaan (Clip Officiel) - YouTube
12th July 2012
Old 12th July 2012
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

I got your email, thanks for posting this here.

Those slatted walls in the control room are probably "diffsorbers," meaning they diffuse by alternating reflecting and absorbing surfaces. This is not as effective as deep QRD diffusers, but it's a good type of treatment for the side walls. The front wall doesn't usually benefit much from treatment:

Front Wall Absorption

You can use a mirror or math calculations to find reflection points:

Early Reflections

In most situations the side-wall reflection points are about halfway between you and the speakers. For ceilings they're exactly halfway unless the ceiling is angled.

Your other questions about bass trap placement can be found all over this forum, or read this short article:

Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts
20th July 2012
Old 20th July 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
In most situations the side-wall reflection points are about halfway between you and the speakers. For ceilings they're exactly halfway unless the ceiling is angled.
Right.. And to add here is a video talking explaining early reflection points.
GIK Acoustics: Early / First Reflection Points
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search