Attached Thumbnails
Treating Studio Rooms - pictures added-side2.jpg  
Jason Poulin
26th April 2006
Old 26th April 2006
Lives for gear

best shot of the room!!!

Hope you enjoyed the thread.

I have noticed a HUGE different in both rooms when listening and playing music.

I'll have to tell you, I am now hearing bass tones that I have never ever heard before. Honestly it's so much more accurate now with the treated rooms (at least more treated than before)

Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Treating Studio Rooms - pictures added-gsmug.jpg  
26th April 2006
Old 26th April 2006
Lives for gear

Beautiful work Jason

now do mine
26th April 2006
Old 26th April 2006
Lives for gear

Wow!

I must say, they looking really good! And with that many it would be a shame if you didn't hear a different to the better!

Great work! thumbsup
26th April 2006
Old 26th April 2006
500 series nutjob

Send a message via Skype™ to pan60
very nice jason!
26th April 2006
Old 26th April 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to djui5
Looks really nice Jason

The hard work paid off. Congrats.
26th April 2006
Old 26th April 2006
Lives for gear

Jason,
Where did you get those racks for your gear or did you build them yourself? Great job on the traps!!! I just order a whole bunch from GIK. I can't wait to install them and see what I have been missing.
Sean
Jason Poulin
26th April 2006
Old 26th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegenh5
Jason,
Where did you get those racks for your gear or did you build them yourself? Great job on the traps!!! I just order a whole bunch from GIK. I can't wait to install them and see what I have been missing.
Sean

home made by an old co-worker of ours

thanks for replies.... yes this was a lot of work and gladly it made a big difference in how we now hear things.

Jason
26th April 2006
Old 26th April 2006
Gear maniac

Great work they look Marvelous. I know what you mean by being able to hear so many things you've missed before. I have a question on where you positioned your cloud. Is it right over your chair in the mix position or over the desk? I don't know where to hang mine. thanks for the great pics.
26th April 2006
Old 26th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkeman
Great work they look Marvelous. I know what you mean by being able to hear so many things you've missed before. I have a question on where you positioned your cloud. Is it right over your chair in the mix position or over the desk? I don't know where to hang mine. thanks for the great pics.

in front of me, above me and behind me.

Good luck!!

Jason
Jason Poulin
28th April 2006
Old 28th April 2006
Lives for gear

We're recording drums as we speak in a little room of 10X10 with low ceilings.

After hearing the set in the treated room, I'd have to say that the bass response from the kick and toms is absolutely incredible how much tighter it is.

The snare and cymbals have tamed highs and we now gained confidence that our little room will actually work for us.

Thank you to everyone on Gearslutz and especially Ethan Winer for the advice on this forum. I'm sure Ethan's traps work very well (realtraps.com). I must say that the DIY route is cheaper but IT IS A LOT OF WORK! It wasn't easy, and if we charged 20$ for the work we did, we could have easily racked up a huge bill including material and be way over budget compared to buying them.

Bass traps and broadband absorbtion works!!!!!

Jason
29th April 2006
Old 29th April 2006
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Jason,

> Bass traps and broadband absorbtion works!!!!! <

Testify, brother.

--Ethan
29th April 2006
Old 29th April 2006
Gear Guru

Hey Ethan I guess we can add to our on going list of "people that get it"!!

Glenn
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
Reg
29th April 2006
Old 29th April 2006
Reg
Gear maniac

11th May 2006
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

I got some 2inch rigid fiberglass boards and have them covered with a fabric but...

I am trying to mount them to my ceiling above the drums. I wanted to use wire or string strapped at 2 anchor points on each side of the ceiling where the 2x4 703 would go. Reaon is i want to be able to remove them later maybe. Also I didn't want to perforate the 703 in any way and have it hang loose 2 inches off the ceiling.

They are not in any rigid framing. Just mostly covered in a loose weave cloth.

I've seen the method where you use screws through the 703 with washers to hang them. That is my next option but ut means piercing the 703. Does this method hurt the absorbtion factor in a significant way/

Because of the ceiling shape i have to hang some pieces at aproximately 45 degrees where there is a corner (if this isn't clear I can try and make a drawing).

How is everyone hanging these from ceiling (horizontal and angled)?

Jim
11th May 2006
Old 11th May 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluzzi
I got some 2inch rigid fiberglass boards and have them covered with a fabric but...

I am trying to mount them to my ceiling above the drums. I wanted to use wire or string strapped at 2 anchor points on each side of the ceiling where the 2x4 703 would go. Reaon is i want to be able to remove them later maybe. Also I didn't want to perforate the 703 in any way and have it hang loose 2 inches off the ceiling.

They are not in any rigid framing. Just mostly covered in a loose weave cloth.

I've seen the method where you use screws through the 703 with washers to hang them. That is my next option but ut means piercing the 703. Does this method hurt the absorbtion factor in a significant way/

Because of the ceiling shape i have to hang some pieces at aproximately 45 degrees where there is a corner (if this isn't clear I can try and make a drawing).

How is everyone hanging these from ceiling (horizontal and angled)?

Jim

Jim,

You can use any number of methods to secure your traps to a ceiling including cable ties, rope, or piercing the panel itself. If your traps are made of simple fabric and 703 as you’ve indicated, this is probably fairly easy to do, and securing them to the ceiling will be easier and a LOT safer as a result of their lighter weight. The likelihood of them falling is far less than if they were to have heavy framing thank goodness. Without a wooded or metal frame, (can severely damage equipment if they fall) your absorption should be greater too. Hanging your traps by piercing the fabric and the acoustical medium may not make a very GREAT impact on how they perform, but know that any change to an acoustic panel absorbers structure will alter how it performs in some way. In this case, piercing them with eye bolts or the like (if used very sparingly) may not hurt their performance to an audible extent. If the traps are light enough, you may try using wide Velcro to secure them. I think your idea of wire or string strapped at 2 (or 4) anchor points on each side of the ceiling is a good one too.

And if I visualize your point about the 45 degree angling correctly, I would say that spacing the traps off the ceiling a few or several inches (though perpendicular) may yield the best results and may be more aesthetically pleasing.

Good luck~
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for your reply Joel.

I decided to go with expanding anchors and elastic ribbon (sort of like the type in underwear). This will avoid piercing the 703 material and will also work in corner).

Jim
12th May 2006
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Really nice job on the traps, room looks awesome. I have a very similar shaped control room in the plans, so I'm probably going to go with a very similar type of treatment. I do have a question/observation. On the traps that go into the ceiling wall junction, I was going to angle the ends of mine at a 45 degree angle, so the traps fit into the corners better and will be flush against the ceiling along the top, and the wall along the bottom. Ive attached a pic to show what Im talking about. Does anyone see any problem with this type of trap?
Attached Thumbnails
Treating Studio Rooms - pictures added-angletrap.jpg  
Jason Poulin
13th May 2006
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWallStudio
Really nice job on the traps, room looks awesome. I have a very similar shaped control room in the plans, so I'm probably going to go with a very similar type of treatment. I do have a question/observation. On the traps that go into the ceiling wall junction, I was going to angle the ends of mine at a 45 degree angle, so the traps fit into the corners better and will be flush against the ceiling along the top, and the wall along the bottom. Ive attached a pic to show what Im talking about. Does anyone see any problem with this type of trap?

I think your idea is excellent brotha! All the power to you and please be aware that when you are done, you're going to be extremely surprised of the difference it made.

Make sure you really treat it well... for two rooms, we posted more than 40 traps but... It was so worth it. I never had a mix sound so good in my car after only 1 pass in the mixroom. I never had accurate bass monitoring until now (accurate enough to mix properly) And the tracking room made drums sound tight as hell. I thought that kick was going to pop out of my speakers. Cymbals were very calm too.

If I had to choose between a Massive Passive or room treatment, I wouldn't hesitate and get the room treatment first.

Then very shortely after, the Massive Passive

If you need any info, or details/closeup pics... let me know

Good luck buddy!
13th May 2006
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Good Deal! Thanks! And I think you have posted about every photo angle of your studio... so thanks for that. Served as massive inspiration. Now where is my mitre saw?!?!?
Jason Poulin
1st September 2006
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

after a few months of working in the studio...

I'd like to say it's been a blast hearing the difference between a non-treated room and one that is treated.

Everything is much better!

I can hear now

Jason
1st September 2006
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to bobx
thanks. this thread totally inspired me, and my next big upgrade is definitely going to be acoustics.
12th September 2006
Old 12th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxhopefield View Post
thanks. this thread totally inspired me, and my next big upgrade is definitely going to be acoustics.
13th September 2006
Old 13th September 2006
Gear nut

Jason, how much did this project run you in the end??

I'm looking to do the same thing, don't know if I need as much as you, but a rough estimate for each one.

Looks great man!

thumbsup
Jason Poulin
28th October 2006
Old 28th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdrummer View Post
Jason, how much did this project run you in the end??

I'm looking to do the same thing, don't know if I need as much as you, but a rough estimate for each one.

Looks great man!

thumbsup

roughly 3000$ canadian and worth every penny!

jason
24th January 2007
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Head

im a bit new at this stuff, and i've got a quick question:

how does one strike that balance between over-deadening a room with treatment and having no treatment at all?

after looking at the photos, the first thing that came to mind was, "i wonder if the room is now really dead-sounding." of course, after hearing that little drum jam, i'm convinced that it sounds great. but if i were to undertake a similar project, i wouldn't want overkill.

would appreciate any response to this. btw, i'm not in any way bashing ur work jason. it looks fantastic and i'm very happy for u!
24th January 2007
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehe555 View Post
im a bit new at this stuff, and i've got a quick question:

how does one strike that balance between over-deadening a room with treatment and having no treatment at all?

after looking at the photos, the first thing that came to mind was, "i wonder if the room is now really dead-sounding." of course, after hearing that little drum jam, i'm convinced that it sounds great. but if i were to undertake a similar project, i wouldn't want overkill.

would appreciate any response to this. btw, i'm not in any way bashing ur work jason. it looks fantastic and i'm very happy for u!
If your looking for best of the best then work with a company that can guide you though it. If doing yourself then learn how to shoot the room and do a bunch of reading up on it. Over all though the key (like you said) is the balance. If building them yourself start with broad band bass traps with FRK to the front of them. This will keep from killing the highs then treat first reflections with thinner panels (no FRK on these).

Glenn
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search