Login / Register

Basement- low ceilings- What's my next move?
New Reply
Subscribe
maxlor314
26th October 2010
Old 26th October 2010
Gear interested

Unhappy Basement- low ceilings- What's my next move?

Thanks to all of you I have learned a lot reading this forum, but I don't know what to do next. This is a basement studio with very low ceilings (6'4"), fortunately it's pretty long (24'9") and the width is 12'6".

I added 6" of rockwool at each of the side reflection points and a 4" ceiling cloud. Also, I filled the front two corners with rockwool- the diagonal is 22". There are 3 6" thick bass traps hanging off the wall behind the speakers (the speakers are 4' from the back wall) and a 6" cloud behind the speakers. There are also 4 6" bass traps hanging on the ceiling sides (tan color in the pictures) around the mix position. I don't have much treatment in the back of the room aside from some auralex (which also covers the whole ceiling), and the floor is tile.

I also attached some Fuzzmeasure graphs, one from 20 hz to 20khz and one from 20hz to 1000hz. Is there anything I can do about that huge null at 500hz? I think it's a result of my low ceiling.

What would you do to improve this room? Diffusers? More bass traps? EQ?

Thanks
Max
Attached Thumbnails
Basement- low ceilings- What's my next move?-acoustics1.jpg   Basement- low ceilings- What's my next move?-acoustics2.jpg   Basement- low ceilings- What's my next move?-acoustics3.jpg   Basement- low ceilings- What's my next move?-acoustics4.jpg   Basement- low ceilings- What's my next move?-fuzz1.jpg  

Basement- low ceilings- What's my next move?-fuzz2.jpg  
26th October 2010
Old 26th October 2010
Lives for gear

the rear wall looks awfully reflective
26th October 2010
Old 26th October 2010
cork sniffer

That glass and the floor have to be a big issue. Couple nice rugs would be a good idea to start...nice and thick ones.
26th October 2010
Old 26th October 2010
Gear Guru

I have seen a lot worse. For the back wall you could use diffusion for sure in a room that size.
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
maxlor314
28th October 2010
Old 28th October 2010
Gear interested

Thanks for the responses. I need that window to see into the session room. Would it help to put diffusers around the window (about 1 foot wide) and on the door? How about that back ceiling?

I have a 1/4" thick rug I can lay down covering most of the floor, but that is pretty thin. Do you think it would have an effect? The problem is a thick rug would be a big hassle with all these rolling chairs!

Any Ideas about that 500 Hz null?
15th December 2010
Old 15th December 2010
Gear maniac

Bumping this thread because I have a similar situation I'm moving into in a few weeks. My new place will have a ceiling height of 7'4" - a bummer after having a 10 ft ceiling for almost 8 years. However, the room width is 14 ft and the length is almost 30 ft.

In order to have any decent head room (literally) it seems I will need to mount my 4" thick cloud panels directly to the ceiling without a gap. I work with a couple of collaborators that are both 6'6" tall and I don't want them bumping their heads all the time. Anyway I'm just curious about what issues/problems I might expect from this? The floor is tile but the area from the monitors to about 16 ft back will be covered with large area rugs. The rest of the room will be well treated with corner chucks and plenty of bass trapping and broadband panels.

Thanks!
maxlor314
25th February 2011
Old 25th February 2011
Gear interested

Bump... Anybody else? Thanks for your thoughts so far!
25th February 2011
Old 25th February 2011
Lives for gear

Its funny my new room is almost EXACTLY the same... 25ft x 11ft x 6ft 4"

For better or worse the ceiling had to come out.

There was space for 6" of treatment between the bottom of the floor beams and the wood flooring above and that height was crucial.

If possible i know its a pain but i would try to remove that ceiling and treat it completely to gain a little height.

I am going roxul everywhere with some large traps removing the corners at the mixing end of the room. The entire ceiling will be full of roxul S&S.

I'm very curious how it will all turn out but i'm about halfway through the construction right now. All gear is still in boxes.

I'm used to having just a cloud of GIK panels above my mix station and various GIK panels standing around my old basement, which was about 7ft, so this should be significantly better.

I've never done a room plot but i may well do it this time. I'd be a bit scared to actually. I've had a fair amount of satisfaction learning the rooms i have worked in by taking the material elsewhere and learning to mix in the room, rather than fixing everything.

It is an interesting question though. If there is a huge and very specific NULL what do you do? Its easier if its a peak correct because you can just make a frequency specific absorber. Is that true?

Russell
SAC
25th February 2011
Old 25th February 2011
SAC

Wow...if that frequency response is accurate, we're worried about how to treat a back wall, that even if it is totally reflective would create an ISD out so ~37 ms?

You need to figure out the nulls and treat them.

But first, WTF is it with the 3 stereo pairs of speakers on the console bridge???? And why are what appear to be identical vertically mounted speakers set on an incorrectly horizontally mounted speaker positioned SO high where the tweeter almost couples with the ceiling????

You aren't running both vertically mounted pair simultaneously are you???

So before you do anything else, you may as well actively resolve a few problems and anticipate a few solutions.

You have the space, so pull the console out from the wall and PROPERLY mount a single pair of the speakers on stands located ~3 foot behind the console to put them on axis with the listening position and to minimize work surface reflections!

AFTER you do the, generate a waterfall plot from 0-300 Hz and a left/right ETC (or better yet, first mark the position of the center of your head in the listening position with a small string and washer acting as a plumb tacked to the ceiling. This is where you will place the capsule of your omni mic for ALL measurements, now or in the future. Then just generate the frequency response and impulse responses and post the 'raw' source files - allowing us to import and massage them in REW for various views.)

And from the various test results identify the source of your nulls and treat them appropriately. But first things first.

Also, noting you have what looks like one LENRD on the floor in each front corner and only very small corner traps in the front and nothing in the back corners, before you worry about a back wall, you are going to want to address room modes most likely with substantially beefed up corner traps such as superchunks with 2' wall exposure and an ~34 inch wide front face.

But one can tell much more with the test results.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshorephatty View Post
There was space for 6" of treatment between the bottom of the floor beams and the wood flooring above and that height was crucial.

If possible i know its a pain but i would try to remove that ceiling and treat it completely to gain a little height.
Did this give you any isolation at all, or just absorbtion? My ceiling is the same height and I want to do this to make the room sound better, but my family is above that floor and I fear divorce when drums start cooking.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

It did not give me much isolation. I actually don't want much. I'm not worried about divorce because my wife likes the way I produce her records The more sound I try to keep in the space the more trouble I would have with reflections of course. You could always make a compromise and shove drywall up under the flooring in the gaps and still do the inslulation cloud thing.. Not sure where that might get you.

Russell
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search