Help to treat my room !!!
Negm
22nd February 2010
Old 22nd February 2010
Gear interested

Help to treat my room !!!

Hey guys,

I just started to treat my room recently, and for the reference; my room is 3.5m x3.5m . It's totally squared room . At the beginning I had carpets on the walls , just to make any difference to the sound, and it made little subtle differences actually, but the room just sounds bad.. it's resonating everywhere. some unprofessional guy told me that he could fix my room with only acoustic foams, and he told me to keep the carpets along with the acoustic foam , for the budget sake.
This really helped removing much resonance that occurred before, specially on high frequencies, but still the bass sounds bad. There are much too room tone to the low end frequencies. I uploaded my home studio pics.. and there you can see the placement of the acoustic foam and carpets. maybe you guys could advice if I would replace some foams or maybe add more, where to put the bass traps, and if I should remove the carpets or not , or what should I do to make the room sounds better.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Help to treat my room !!!-celing-above-mixing-position.jpg   Help to treat my room !!!-front-wall.jpg   Help to treat my room !!!-left-side-wall.jpg   Help to treat my room !!!-outside-room-view.jpg   Help to treat my room !!!-rear-wall-infront-speakers.jpg  

Help to treat my room !!!-right-side-wall.jpg  
22nd February 2010
Old 22nd February 2010
Gear Head

Start bass trapping corners first-prefarbly wall to ceiling, then move to wall/ceiling edges. That's for the start
22nd February 2010
Old 22nd February 2010
Gear Guru

Negm
22nd February 2010
Old 22nd February 2010
Gear interested

Thanks guys.

but hey Glenn, How could I face the shortest wall? I don't understand. the room is 3.5x3.5m squared? and what about the carpets, should I leave them , remove them, replace them with foams ? what do you recommend.
thanks again...
23rd February 2010
Old 23rd February 2010
Gear Head

Replace carpets with thick absorption panels on the back wall. You have enough foam already in your room. You can build absoprtive panels yourself or buy them, plenty of threads just use search.
it doesn't matter then which direction you seat, find 38% lenght or width of your room as a listening spot.

Read what Glen posted for you: GIK Room setup
Negm
23rd February 2010
Old 23rd February 2010
Gear interested

Thanks so much . I have read what Glenn posted, and It was really helpful. Thanks Glenn, and thanks pkarpiozo .

The rear wall, the one infront of the speakers does not have any carpets. just foam and a window, look at the photo that has 2 chairs and a window, that's what the speakers are facing. The other picture that has piano and another carpet on the wall is the left wall, facing the wall which has a balcony door and foam as well on both sides. So should I get 2 bass traps for the corners in front of the speakers and some other absorptive panels on the sides dealing with early reflection point as Glenn mentioned ? will this be enough? and what do you think about the front wall, the wall I m facing? I think there is a problem cuz the right corner is not much similar to the left one, and the door is at the left wall very close to the corner, but I guess the main problem would be the beam in the left side of the wall, so they make 2 corners on the left side . What do you think about that? please take a look the photo of the Wall that contains the gear, there you can see the beam I am talking about.. any suggestions?

Thanks again .
23rd February 2010
Old 23rd February 2010
Gear Head

Negm
24th February 2010
Old 24th February 2010
Gear interested

Thanks again I guess I knew what I should do thanks guys
24th February 2010
Old 24th February 2010
Gear addict

Yep...bass traps in at least a couple of the corners. And you could also put some Auralex style corner wedges at the ceiling/wall seam in front and behind your mixing station.
here's another trick I used once in a square mixing room;
Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get some 1/4 inch sheetrock and some 2 x 4's, and dry wall screws. Frame out a convexed false wall in one or two of the corners. Doesn't have to be insulated or wired for electricity, just a false wall framed for a convex wall board. It can be as wide as you want but one sheet of sheetrock will bend to make a nice corner radius. use a utility knife to score the back of the sheetrock vertically, for bending, (you can find examples of this on google) and build a false convex wall in one or two of the corners. You can then cover the curved corner wall(s) with batting and fabric, each available at a fabric store (staple it on) and trim it out on the side seams with some stained or painted 1 x 2 wood planks.

As an option, you can also build the corner wall structures outside of the room, put some footings on them for stability, and just carry them in and stand them in the corners if you don't want a semi-permanent structure. If they are mobile you can then also use them as go-bo panels for an iso-booth area when needed, and put a mic behind the wall panel. (you'd need to treat the backside of course)

The end result looks good and will take the square out of the room. Just an idea if you have the time and know how.
Negm
1st March 2010
Old 1st March 2010
Gear interested

thank you mbvoxx. I got your idea. now I knew what I should do for my room. but the problem I am still getting is, if you took a look at my front wall, the wall that I am facing, you will find a beam at the left side, plus the very left corner is adjacent with the door, so I cannot put a bass trap in this corner, so It won't let the door to be opened. This makes 2 corners on the left side of the wall, where should I trap the bass here in this case, both sides arent symmetrical.. any suggestions?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search