New Reply
Subscribe
dangoudie
8th February 2010
Old 8th February 2010
Lives for gear

Need absorption for desk reflections

Hi all,

This seems an obvious problem but a search or two didn't show up anything.

I have an ITB mix setup and I've become increasingly aware of reflections off my desk (a big wooden flat surface) and would like to know if anyone has found a particular material to be good at clearing this up.

I guess I'd be possibly looking for a large, thin, fairly solid panel of some sort to attach to the top of the desk to eliminate these reflections. I've experimented with putting some regular acoustic foam in the way and the difference is astonishing but the foam is impractical and looks really untidy so if anyone had a good solution I would be very grateful.

Cheers, Dan
8th February 2010
Old 8th February 2010
Gear Guru

You could put regular panels make from OC or mineral wool, but it will be hard to write on top or what ever. I did see a picture of one guy on here who did it and it seemed to work pretty well for him.
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
8th February 2010
Old 8th February 2010
Gear Guru

Can you get rid of the desk? Or maybe replace the surface with a wire mesh?

-tINY

dangoudie
8th February 2010
Old 8th February 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah thanks for the input guys. I still need the surface to function as a desk though. I was thinking, would a pin-board have any acoustical benefits?

Perhaps there's a gap in the market...

As a side note, Glenn, I got my GIK 244 panels the other day and they made such an enormous difference it is unbelievable. I've got one directly behind and between my monitors and one straddling a problem corner. The sound I hear is more focussed and even all around the room, not just where the panels are. So thanks very much.
8th February 2010
Old 8th February 2010
Lives for gear

Check out this other thread. As the photo shows, the idea is to capture the tweeter reflection at the speaker rather than at the reflection points on the console.

Console reflection solution?

-R
9th February 2010
Old 9th February 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangoudie View Post

As a side note, Glenn, I got my GIK 244 panels the other day and they made such an enormous difference it is unbelievable. I've got one directly behind and between my monitors and one straddling a problem corner. The sound I hear is more focussed and even all around the room, not just where the panels are. So thanks very much.
Thanks man and glad things are working out for you!! If you have any questions please feel free to contact us in the future.
Hey if you have a moment, would love your comments here GIK Acoustics on our comments page.
9th February 2010
Old 9th February 2010
Lives for gear

Placement is most often the best first step. Avoid the desk reflections before treating them.
Attached Thumbnails
Need absorption for desk reflections-desk.jpg  
9th February 2010
Old 9th February 2010
Gear addict

That's the kind of arrangement I have moved towards myself - speakers positioned more to the front, in front of everything. Thought that would solve all.

Funny thing today - tried moving the computer screen forwards and backwards - big impact around 300-400Hz based on how far I brought the computer screen forward. Go figure.....Hah!

(I would have little clue about any of this without measurement software. Best time/money spent. Sanity might take a hit, but good training in persistence)
10th February 2010
Old 10th February 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhudson View Post
That's the kind of arrangement I have moved towards myself - speakers positioned more to the front, in front of everything. Thought that would solve all.

Funny thing today - tried moving the computer screen forwards and backwards - big impact around 300-400Hz based on how far I brought the computer screen forward. Go figure.....Hah!

(I would have little clue about any of this without measurement software. Best time/money spent. Sanity might take a hit, but good training in persistence)
There as always been a debate if the screen could effect the sound. Glad you proved it.
10th February 2010
Old 10th February 2010
Gear addict

I'll play around some more once I refresh my FM2 license, but I could clearly A/B a 300-400 Hz-ish null based on my iMac's position, forward/backward. Forward was worse on right speaker, back better. Could be a bizarre desk/screen/sideofspeaker reflection interaction perhaps. As well, I have about a 4' listening triangle, so the toein angle probably directs a little more sound deskwise than with a wider triangle. And, my desk has two tiers (one of those guitar center mix stations), so I'll test out how height plays into it.....
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangoudie View Post
Hi all,

This seems an obvious problem but a search or two didn't show up anything.

I have an ITB mix setup and I've become increasingly aware of reflections off my desk (a big wooden flat surface) and would like to know if anyone has found a particular material to be good at clearing this up.

I guess I'd be possibly looking for a large, thin, fairly solid panel of some sort to attach to the top of the desk to eliminate these reflections. I've experimented with putting some regular acoustic foam in the way and the difference is astonishing but the foam is impractical and looks really untidy so if anyone had a good solution I would be very grateful.

Cheers, Dan
I'm considering this very thing at the moment, with bits for the top of the speaker too.

How did you get on, 2 years later?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search