Console reflection solution?
New Reply
Subscribe
RKrizman
1st February 2010
Old 1st February 2010
Lives for gear

Console reflection solution?

Here is my rube goldberg way of reducing console reflections. (yes that's a pencil propping up the foam) I put the damping beneath the tweeters instead of at the console reflection points. It passes the mirror test. There must be a more elegant way to do this.

Thoughts?

-R
Attached Thumbnails
Console reflection solution?-tweeter-reflection.jpg  
1st February 2010
Old 1st February 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Weasel9992
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
Here is my rube goldberg way of reducing console reflections. (yes that's a pencil propping up the foam) I put the damping beneath the tweeters instead of at the console reflection points. It passes the mirror test. There must be a more elegant way to do this.
Use a nicer pencil?

Frank
RKrizman
1st February 2010
Old 1st February 2010
Lives for gear

Did you study privately?

-R
1st February 2010
Old 1st February 2010
Lives for gear

Hahaha...I'm sorry. I couldn't resist.

I don't know of a commercial product that does the job better, really. Mostly what I see are guys doing just what you're doing...cobbling something together out of desperation because the comb filtering off their desks is killing them. I've seen towels, rock wool, foam, duvets...you name it.

Frank
2nd February 2010
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah I've always tried to drape stuff over the console at critical times. It just occurred to me that putting something under the tweeter at the speaker itself was way more efficient. Maybe Primacoustic should design their recoil stabilizers with a little apron on the front that could hold some foam.

-R
2nd February 2010
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thoughts?

-R
Okay.. Never thought I'd say this..: More foam!

A 2kHz wave is nearly 7", 3kHz is 4.5". Hard to tell the size in the pic, but you should make sure it's at least that size and then you want it to hit exactly in the middle of the reflection path. Doubling or tripling the foam depth will also help a lot.
RKrizman
2nd February 2010
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupo View Post
Okay.. Never thought I'd say this..: More foam!

A 2kHz wave is nearly 7", 3kHz is 4.5". Hard to tell the size in the pic, but you should make sure it's at least that size and then you want it to hit exactly in the middle of the reflection path. Doubling or tripling the foam depth will also help a lot.
Point taken. I'd probably do better with 2 or 3" of fabric wrapped 705 or something. You do realize I'm not hitting the reflection at all, but the direct sound before it gets to the console. Maybe it should be 705 with the backing on the bottom side.

I could probably have some long finish nails protruding horizontally from the wood rim at the top of the desk and then just impale the 705 there so it forms a little freestanding shelf.

-R
RKrizman
2nd February 2010
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel9992 View Post
Hahaha...I'm sorry. I couldn't resist.
It was a funny comment, and my response was meant to be as well

-R
2nd February 2010
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Point taken. I'd probably do better with 2 or 3" of fabric wrapped 705 or something. You do realize I'm not hitting the reflection at all, but the direct sound before it gets to the console. Maybe it should be 705 with the backing on the bottom side.
It doesn't matter where the trap is, as long as the trap is somewhere in the reflection path it'll damp the sound. Given that velocity is nill and pressure max exactly at the reflection point, you'll get better performance as is now by having the absorber at some distance from the surface. Foam is a bit iffy but it should work fine for the purpose if you can make it 4-6". Measurements would help confirm if it's good enough as is, or if you need better absorbers like glass fiber. Or you can play some swooshing sound and listen for comb filtering. Add and remove the absorber and get used to difference in sound. Without absorber, there'll be a flanger and it'll move up and down in frequency as you move your head closer or farther away. With absorber in place, the flanger should ideally be totally inaudible. Measurements are better but it's possible to use the ear for a coarse indication.

Quote:
I could probably have some long finish nails protruding horizontally from the wood rim at the top of the desk and then just impale the 705 there so it forms a little freestanding shelf.
Seems like a fine idea!
2nd February 2010
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

why not sandwich a thin stick or two (like paint stir sticks) between your bridge and monitor and have that hold the absorption in place?

Here's what I do. Free if you like, pay if you REALLY like:

http://midwestdeathrattle.bandcamp.com/
RKrizman
2nd February 2010
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykstraster@gmai View Post
why not sandwich a thin stick or two (like paint stir sticks) between your bridge and monitor and have that hold the absorption in place?
I thought about that, but having the monitor rest on something like that would probably change its sound for the worse. Now it is held firmly against the console top, weighed down by an LSR28 on top of it, so any front to back motion is held to a minimum.

-R
RKrizman
2nd February 2010
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
IFoam is a bit iffy but it should work fine for the purpose if you can make it 4-6". Measurements would help confirm if it's good enough as is, or if you need better absorbers like glass fiber. Or you can play some swooshing sound and listen for comb filtering. Add and remove the absorber and get used to difference in sound. Without absorber, there'll be a flanger and it'll move up and down in frequency as you move your head closer or farther away. With absorber in place, the flanger should ideally be totally inaudible. Measurements are better but it's possible to use the ear for a coarse indication.
)
I'll try the flanger test today. Glass fiber is certainly the way to go. I just grabbed the foam because it was lying around.

-R
2nd February 2010
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll try the flanger test today. Glass fiber is certainly the way to go. I just grabbed the foam because it was lying around.
I don't think you want glass fibers raining down on your equipment.

Paul P
RKrizman
2nd February 2010
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulP View Post
I don't think you want glass fibers raining down on your equipment.

Paul P
Fabric wrapped of course.

-R
RKrizman
2nd February 2010
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Add and remove the absorber and get used to difference in sound. Without absorber, there'll be a flanger and it'll move up and down in frequency as you move your head closer or farther away. With absorber in place, the flanger should ideally be totally inaudible. Measurements are better but it's possible to use the ear for a coarse indication.
Hey, the flanger test worked great. Without the foam, lots of high frequency comb filtering/flanging as I moved my head. When I put the foam back up, the overall flanging effect diminished by about 70%, and resided mostly in lower frequencies. The ultra high end was completely cool.

So this tells me that the concept is good, but to go with a denser absorber, like 2" 703 or 705 and make it a little larger.

What's astounding is how extreme the comb filtering is without any treatment.
Thanks again for this most excellent suggestion, which I should have tried years ago.

Now I have to go test some different pencils.

-R
2nd February 2010
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Console reflection solution?-ifoam.png
Ouch. Turns out IFoam is a strongly guarded top secret big income generating future trademark. They are not happy about this name leakage. They came so fast that it's no doubt they're serious. It was all a bit confusing. As far I could gather, they're planning to mass market acoustic foam. Especially as a way to tame first order reflections from some sort of overgrown cell phone like device. Dunno why they revealed that in the first place. Wonder even more why they revealed the even bigger secret than the primary application. Perhaps because I laughed so hard? Laughing stopped immediately when they revealed the really big news. Was stupified. Froze up and just stood there staring at them with utter incomprehension. Totally awestruck. Took a long minute for the brain to adjust to this mindbendingly great idea. It was overpowering. So simple, yet so geniusly grandiosely splendidly excellently famously cool! Only a man of Jöbs caliber could come up with something like that. White. White foam! The little touch that changes everything. Along with the most catchy foam name in history. The two secrets to more sales!

Seemed most mad at me for writing it here using a hidden letter. Not happy at all. They mentioned that you're up for something as well for revealing it through ultraquoting. It isn't going to be as harsh though. Something easy like debt for life. Hopefully. The term "iffy" softened up my kneecaps and I'm typing this in the 5 minute break from the 23.55 hour shifts in the mines.

Quote:
Hey, the flanger test worked great. Without the foam, lots of high frequency comb filtering/flanging as I moved my head. When I put the foam back up, the overall flanging effect diminished by about 70%, and resided mostly in lower frequencies. The ultra high end was completely cool.
Excellent!

Quote:
What's astounding is how extreme the comb filtering is without any treatment.
Thanks again for this most excellent suggestion, which I should have tried years ago.
Scary, huh?

Listening for reflections is a fun habit that can be exercised just about anywhere anytime. Especially easy in man made surroundings with hard flat surfaces just about everywhere. Helps keeping the ears up to scratch! Gives some useful listening skills too. Blind people can hear stupendously much compared to the average viewer. Luckily, we don't have to be blind to use the ears.

Quote:
Now I have to go test some different pencils.
Post some slutty pics! We want to see your gear!

Had a beer or two.. Cheers! :D

Andreas
2nd February 2010
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Is that at Lingo/SCS? It's funny because when I did a lot of work there I used to do something very similar, and it's the same setup as I see in your pic- Control 24 with the patchbay & some OB on the left, probably mounted in the exact same desk.

My very incomplete IMDB list

I'm all ears.
RKrizman
2nd February 2010
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Post some slutty pics! We want to see your gear!

Had a beer or two.. Cheers! :D

Andreas
Okay, here is my slutty pencil collection and an example of my test methodology.

As for the beer, well this one will be ready in about 6 weeks. Should go nicely with lutefisk.

Cheers,
-R
Attached Thumbnails
Console reflection solution?-pencill-samples.jpg   Console reflection solution?-pencil-test-2.jpg   Console reflection solution?-homebrew-2.jpg  
2nd February 2010
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Lutfisk !?

Wow.

WT
RKrizman
2nd February 2010
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berolzheimer View Post
Is that at Lingo/SCS?
Nope, it's my personal use space in Venice. I haven't even implemented that patch bay yet.

-R
3rd February 2010
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Okay, here is my slutty pencil collection and an example of my test methodology.

As for the beer, well this one will be ready in about 6 weeks. Should go nicely with lutefisk.
That's frickin' hilarious. I grew up German Lutheran, so I'm quite familiar with lutefisk. I'd rather eat my own vomit, but I'm familiar with it. Lutefisk, not my vomit. Though, actually I'm familiar with that too. Okay, I'm done.

Frank
3rd February 2010
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can see that you're into modding as well. The second from the left is much cooler than the one on the left. Seems there's pens for any occasion there, with the Soundcraft pen being an obvious source of envy!

Quote:
Neat! Add some 'shrooms for the authentic Viking experience.

How do you serve your lutefisk? In norway, it's with bacon and mashed peas, in Sweden it's with white sauce. Probably more ways to do it as well. Would be interesting to hear how you do it!

Quote:
I grew up German Lutheran, so I'm quite familiar with lutefisk.
Now you lost me. Lutefisk is, AFAIK, a Scandinavian thing. Martin Luther was German. What's that to do with lyefish?
3rd February 2010
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now you lost me. Lutefisk is, AFAIK, a Scandinavian thing. Martin Luther was German. What's that to do with lyefish?
Right...I suppose it might. The congregation was primarily of Scandinavian descent, most of them from Minnesota. Lots and lots of Lutherans in that part of the country.

Frank
3rd February 2010
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
The congregation was primarily of Scandinavian descent, most of them from Minnesota. Lots and lots of Lutherans in that part of the country.
I C! About 1/3 of our country sailed west with lots of them ending up in the heartland area. Many religious refugees among them.

So lutefisk didn't fall in taste? Have you tried smalahove?
3rd February 2010
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I C! About 1/3 of our country sailed west with lots of them ending up in the heartland area. Many religious refugees among them.

So lutefisk didn't fall in taste? Have you tried smalahove?
Lupo, friend...is there simply *nothing* to eat in Norway?

Frank
4th February 2010
Old 4th February 2010
Lives for gear

Don't read the line below if you're easily offended:

Beautiful girls.
4th February 2010
Old 4th February 2010
Lives for gear

PRICELESS !!!!

best post of 2010 already...haha

Quote:
Don't read the line below if you're easily offended:

Beautiful girls.

testify brother!!!!!

.....when I got off the plane and went to oslo, we were really starving and had to go into the first McDonalds we found in the city......and right @ the desk was probably the most beautiful girl that EVER worked in a McD anywhere in the world !!!! not kidding
dropdeadgorgeous...... and the second most beautiful one stood right next to her at the other cash desk!!

this was followed by 2 weeks of total awe and about around 13-15 WTF???-moments of turning around your head in the streets, bars or cafe´s PER HOUR !!

norway...what´s your secret ??
picksail; 28th August 2008, 08:55 AM

"The best sounding sluttiest gear of all time... is a great song" --Greg Wells

http://www.hi-endgear.com

http://www.audio-import.de
RKrizman
4th February 2010
Old 4th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdarude View Post
Please don't let it be lutefisk.

-R
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdarude View Post
PRICELESS !!!!

best post of 2010 already...haha

testify brother!!!!!

.....when I got off the plane and went to oslo, we were really starving and had to go into the first McDonalds we found in the city......and right @ the desk was probably the most beautiful girl that EVER worked in a McD anywhere in the world !!!! not kidding
dropdeadgorgeous...... and the second most beautiful one stood right next to her at the other cash desk!!

this was followed by 2 weeks of total awe and about around 13-15 WTF???-moments of turning around your head in the streets, bars or cafe´s PER HOUR !!

We only hire beautiful peoples in norway. All the ugly ones are either out of work or a musician

https://www.facebook.com/lydspesialist1

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing....
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search