What fabric for curtains for sound dampening?
evillain
6th January 2010
Old 6th January 2010
Gear nut

What fabric for curtains for sound dampening?

I am turning my living room into a set for live musical performances. I will be recording 16 tracks audio and shooting 3 HD cameras....think: fromthebasement.tv

I want to cover 3 walls of the living room with curtains that will seriously dampen the room. I have bass traps from GIK in the 2 corners.....a large kitchen looks into the living room, and this will be where I am shooting from. I want the curtains to serve 2 purposes:

1. dampen sound dramatically

2. look good on camera....i am thinking a dark green velvet.

I have a friend that will make them for me. any particular fabric recommendations?

and....i have lots of other acoustic panels from GIK....if i put them behind the curtains, will they help make a difference?

thanks.
6th January 2010
Old 6th January 2010
Lives for gear

in a book i read on acoustics, the author recommened the material used in curtains for movie theaters or plays or whatever....you know what im talking about..i think they are usually red in color....velvety texture...really dense and heavy
SAC
6th January 2010
Old 6th January 2010
SAC

If I may, and please take this in the proper spirit it is intended before you spend lots of money; where, prey tell, did you get the idea that curtains are a good way to control reflections in a control room or studio - or a living room, for that matter?

Did the source also mention how effective tin foil hats are as well? ;-)

There are an infinite number of cheaper ways that are infinitely more effective.

(Please pardon me, as the emoticons do not properly display - I'm not sure why..., but the humor is dry - and definitely intended with a BIG grin! ;-)
evillain
7th January 2010
Old 7th January 2010
Gear nut

I want curtains as a backdrop for the set that I am building in my living room. I will have full bands performing live. So I need them to be functional as well as look good on camera. I can put acoustic panels behind them if necessary. Everything will be mic'd very close and direct, so I want to "deaden" the room as much as possible as I will also have a small PA going for a small audience. In my studio, i have GIK acoustic panels.

I will look into what movie theaters use.

and i'm not looking for advice on how curtains are not the best for controlling acoustics.....i get that!!!! I am using curtains for a specific look.... so they WILL BE CURTAINS!!

so what fabric should i use....anyone?
SAC
7th January 2010
Old 7th January 2010
SAC

I would source them through industrial theater supply houses (not the glitzy home theater sources as too easily found with Google searches).

And the material - whatever you like as you are using them for appearance only - assuming the material (including backing) is fire rated for use in such an environment.
7th January 2010
Old 7th January 2010
Lives for gear

7th January 2010
Old 7th January 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by evillain View Post
I want curtains as a backdrop for the set that I am building in my living room. I will have full bands performing live. So I need them to be functional as well as look good on camera. I can put acoustic panels behind them if necessary. Everything will be mic'd very close and direct, so I want to "deaden" the room as much as possible as I will also have a small PA going for a small audience. In my studio, i have GIK acoustic panels.

I will look into what movie theaters use.

and i'm not looking for advice on how curtains are not the best for controlling acoustics.....i get that!!!! I am using curtains for a specific look.... so they WILL BE CURTAINS!!

so what fabric should i use....anyone?
Google Dazian Fabrics. They specialize in theatrical fabrics. Call a rep and explain what you want. They even have used curtains from stage and expo that you can get at a great discount.

If you really want to damp the room, use lots of absorbers behind the curtains. In fact, if you use lots of absorbers, you can pick a light weight material that looks good on camera and let the absorbers do their thing. Keep it simple, the backdrop isn't the star of the show.
7th January 2010
Old 7th January 2010
Gear Head

18 oz/yd sq is usually what is recommended for acoustic treatment. Compared to 14 oz/yd sq there is a significant improvement in absorption, especially in the 500-1Khz region. In fact, anything lighter is really just for looks and a slight absorption above 2Khz.

The looser you drape it (meaning the more wrinkles) the more absorption you'll get too. Also, the more you can space it from the wall, the better.

Robby
7th January 2010
Old 7th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyho View Post
18 oz/yd sq is usually what is recommended for acoustic treatment. Compared to 14 oz/yd sq there is a significant improvement in absorption, especially in the 500-1Khz region. In fact, anything lighter is really just for looks and a slight absorption above 2Khz.

The looser you drape it (meaning the more wrinkles) the more absorption you'll get too. Also, the more you can space it from the wall, the better.

Robby
Good posts from SAC and Robby. 18oz theater velour is what you're after...at least 18oz., and 20 or 22oz. would be better...at 50% fullness. It's not going to be cheap though. You'll have to have them made if you're looking for a finished, box-pleat theater look.

Frank
evillain
7th January 2010
Old 7th January 2010
Gear nut

thank you all......great info!!!!!
7th January 2010
Old 7th January 2010
Gear Head

Around me, Jo Ann Fabric has some pretty great deals on fabric. Quality stuff too, they sell a really nice suede that goes on 1/2 off sale for $10/yd, which is way cheaper than anywhere else. You could probably find some heavy material for drapes.
8th January 2010
Old 8th January 2010
Gear Head

Duvetyne is pretty much the industry standard as far as theater cloth goes.
SAC
8th January 2010
Old 8th January 2010
SAC

I have to mention this again as folks are suggesting lots of fabric from various sources.

Before you go putting up lots of curtains, and depending exactly on the nature of the venue, you might want to perform your due diligence and check and verify that whatever material you use is CERTIFIED fire resistant per codes! And keep a file in writing on file!

Just recalling for a second what happened at the club in Connecticut with Great White, and a quick perusal of conflagrations in Russia, Bangkok, and a few more locations in the past several weeks, make sure what you do doesn't create more of a liability for you than no curtains. And that also applies to absorber coverings as well, if any. Whatever else you do. Please make sure you do your due diligence and make sure whatever you get meets fire codes. Because if you don't, the law will - and YOU will be help personally liable.
8th January 2010
Old 8th January 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAC View Post
I have to mention this again as folks are suggesting lots of fabric from various sources.

Before you go putting up lots of curtains, and depending exactly on the nature of the venue, you might want to perform your due diligence and check and verify that whatever material you use is CERTIFIED fire resistant per codes! And keep a file in writing on file!

Just recalling for a second what happened at the club in Connecticut with Great White, and a quick perusal of conflagrations in Russia, Bangkok, and a few more locations in the past several weeks, make sure what you do doesn't create more of a liability for you than no curtains. And that also applies to absorber coverings as well, if any. Whatever else you do. Please make sure you do your due diligence and make sure whatever you get meets fire codes. Because if you don't, the law will - and YOU will be help personally liable.
Very good point.

The Dazian fabrics I recommended, many are fire rated. I used Dazian Expo cloth on my broadband absorbers.
8th January 2010
Old 8th January 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAC View Post

Just recalling for a second what happened at the club in Connecticut with Great White....
Just to clarify, that was in rhode island. Nothing that extreme happened in CT.
SAC
8th January 2010
Old 8th January 2010
SAC

Geesh, OK, so it was in one of the bedrooms for politicians (and various brothers of Bernie Madoff) from New York... ;-)

That's a bit like complaining that "That's not in D.C, it"s in Fairfax" or "That's not in San Francisco, it's in Walnut Creek". Unless you are actually driving the distance and need MapQuest to find a particular house or street, to the rest of the world its New York City. ;-)
8th January 2010
Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

Theater velour can be order in IFR (inherently flame ******ant) fabrics at just about any weight. Even the cotton velours can be spray treated and periodically refreshed.

Frank
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search