Subscribe
Tomer1
18th December 2009
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

Decorative solution to Slap echo.

I have a well treated smallish room which is sized
4.2X3.8X2.9m.
10 cm thick 10 cm air gap absorbers above my mix possition and rear of the room recording area.
Mega trapazoid Broadband absorbers in all 4 corners,base is around 35-40cm.
10cm Absorbers behind monitors no air gap.
5cm absorbers at side first reflection points no air gap.

Mix wise the room is satisfactory, recording wise the slap echo is mudding up my recordings and introduces unwanted reasonance.
Since my room is already packed with absrobers I want to come up with a decorative solution, not more absorbers because then I will end up with over 70% coverage.
I reckon I only need to treat one of the parallel walls.
Right now im thinking of going the difusser route but covering 2.5X2.9m of wall with this will not look that nice.
Also thinking about using cinder brick look-a-like matirial which can be glued to the wall in a skyline design ,but instead of 2X2 these bricks are sized at D:2.5cm L:15cm W:5 So I need to come up with an appropriate calculator.

Now I dont want to go over 10-15cm of well depth since again, I dont want the room to feel smaller then it already is.

2 questions:
How do I measure the frequency responce of the slap echo to determine the needed bandwidth of diffusion for the design? Im guessing in some frequencies the reverberation length will be much longer?
Should I run a pecussive "snap" or a sine sweep?

Anyone got other nice looking solutions for slap echo ?

Thanks,
Tomer.
18th December 2009
Old 18th December 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

18th December 2009
Old 18th December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
FYI

Quote:
# On Mac OS X platforms it may be necessary to download Java 2 SE V5.0 to get the V5.0 JRE. At the time of writing Release 6 was the latest available, but check Apple - Support - Downloads for the latest J2SE release. Release 6 can be downloaded at Java for Mac OS X 10.4, Release 6. It may also be necessary to change the default Java application JRE version from 1.4.2 to 5.0
To change the default JRE version:

1. Open the Java Preferences application in /Applications/Utilities/Java/J2SE 5.0/
2. In the "Java Application Runtime Settings" panel, drag J2SE 5.0 to the top of the list (above J2SE 1.4.2)
3. Click Save

# REW has been written and tested under Windows XP, most features should work correctly on other platforms that support Sun's Java Runtime Environment, except for RS232 serial communications (only used to communicate with TAG McLaren Audio AV32R DP and AV192R AV Procesors) which only function on Windows platforms. It has also been tested under Windows Vista and Mac OS X 10.4 & 10.5 (OS X 10.5 Leopard recommended).
Tomer1
18th December 2009
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

I have used Room EQ before, great app.
As I said im not interested in any more absorption.
21st December 2009
Old 21st December 2009
Gear maniac

I just picked up a box of this stuff, just for the fun of it.

PaperForms Acoustic Weave (12 Tile Pack) - Wallpaper - MIO

I'm using them in my home theater, where I have a noticeable slap echo between my 14.5' side walls, right where my rear-side surround speakers are. Just talking in that spot (where the seats are!) would result in a reverb like slap echo.

I'm really surprised to say, the slap echo almost completely gone after pinning up this 3d Wallpaper! And the surround sound speakers sound much more defined now.

Since it's just recycled cardboard and paper, you could stain it or paint it. I'm also considering packing the back side with rockwool for a little absorption.

Other then that, you'd have to consider some (proper) diffusers.

If you use them, report back on if they actually work for you. I like them enough, that I'm probably going to buy another box or two for my guitar room. At very least, they sure look neat.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search