After 2 months it's finally finished (Pictures)
clank72
15th November 2009
Old 15th November 2009
Gear nut

After 2 months it's finally finished (Pictures)

Hey guys,

Well, after lots of stress, some money waisted, hard decisions and 1 year of comprastinating, my home studio is finally done. I have some clouds on order but I wanted to take some pictures while it's still pretty because I need to start using it.

You'll notice right away there's lots of treatment. This is because I do recordings and training videos inside the room. Before treatment it was terrible and sounded like you were recording in a tunnel.

The room is 12x13~ and has issues with lower end. I went with 5.5 inch cotton (UltraTouch) for traps. Cost was about $25 each. These were completely home-made and took my girlfriend and I 2 days to finish them. I video taped the whole thing. I have 8 traps now, will be 10 traps total when the clouds come in.

Just a few squares of treatment foam makes a HUGE difference. I filled the corners in with Auralex LENRD traps first and the room was already "deadened" quite a bit!

It's the quietest room in the house. Not only the most dead room, but it's almost as though the outside noise and house noise has decreased. Very interesting. The rest of the rooms in the house you hear traffic etc and noises. My girlfriend walks in the studio and goes …"whoe… it's so quite in here.." The best part is, you can hear everything so clear through the monitors.

I still have a peak at 80hz and 105~hz. So that part is still frustrating. I've thought about doubling all the traps to 10inches.

Don't paint your studio dark blue…lol. It's almost too dark for my liking and you need a lot of light to brighten it up a bit. It always feels like you are working at night.

I had a bad experience with Ralph Lauren paint. The one I got just plain stinks, big time. I got sick from the smell for a week. They say 3 days, but it took a week and a half (with the window wide open) for the smell to go away. Thought I was going to die.

The independent air vent for the closet (computer room) is not enough and the room still gets too hot. Luckily I can monitor the temperatures of my Macs with this nifty desktop widget. But not having the computers in the room makes a HUGE difference. Need to record vocals? No problem. I HIGHLY recommend everyone to get those computers outa there.

FYI for anyone wanting to extend your DVI cables. Using long HDMI extensions cables was a bad idea for me and the single is very poor. $140 bucks down the tubes. Instead I purchased some DVI extension cables (25 feet) and the signal is almost flawless. 3m DVI-D M/F Dual Link Digital Video Extension Cable - Cables To Go

OK USB… Those wondering about how I got the USB single to reach so far. Well it was lots of trial and error and $$$. First I wanted to go with something professional so I purchased the USB 2.0 Extender by Gefen. I was REALLY excited to try this baby out, especially considering paying almost $400 for it. Unfortunately neither device it came with powered up with the supplied power cables and tech support could not help me so I returned it back to Amazon.com and got a 100% refund. By the way, Amazon has a great 30 day return policy. Here's the one i tried: Gefen Inc. - USB 2.0 Extender

So what worked for USB? This cable: Amazon.com: USB Active 2.0 Extension Repeater Cable, 15 ft: Electronics

This thing rocked! Only $18 each. I linked 2 of them together for a total of 30 feet. Now you may be asking yourself. "What about latency?" Drum roll please….. answer is… there is none. Well there's nothing noticeably different then having a 3 foot USB compared to my 30 foot cable. I can get down to 2.3 ms (If i NEED to) but I work fine around 5 and 6ms. So yes, you can place your computer in the next room and still use your keys :-)

Thanks for everyones help here.

Hope I can be helpful in anyway.
-Clank
Attached Thumbnails
After 2 months it's finally finished (Pictures)-studio01.jpg   After 2 months it's finally finished (Pictures)-studio02.jpg   After 2 months it's finally finished (Pictures)-studio03.jpg   After 2 months it's finally finished (Pictures)-studio04.jpg   After 2 months it's finally finished (Pictures)-studio05.jpg  

After 2 months it's finally finished (Pictures)-studio06.jpg   After 2 months it's finally finished (Pictures)-studio07.jpg  
17th November 2009
Old 17th November 2009
Gear addict

WHOOAAAAAA AWESOME. looks like you almost went overboard :P

i just moved into my new place and i'm gonna go to town on the acoustics of the room soon :D

i have a question though.

i need to isolate my g5 to quiet this damn place up. any suggestions? also i need everything to reach my console desk too :D

that usb extender is a great find! (i have to thank you haha)
but i also have my computer monitor that needs to reach the computer haha. do you know any extensions for that?
17th November 2009
Old 17th November 2009
Gear addict

I'm jealous of your big knob
17th November 2009
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clank72 View Post
Hey guys,

Well, after lots of stress, some money waisted, hard decisions and 1 year of comprastinating, my home studio is finally done. I have some clouds on order but I wanted to take some pictures while it's still pretty because I need to start using it.

You'll notice right away there's lots of treatment. This is because I do recordings and training videos inside the room. Before treatment it was terrible and sounded like you were recording in a tunnel.

The room is 12x13~ and has issues with lower end. I went with 5.5 inch cotton (UltraTouch) for traps. Cost was about $25 each. These were completely home-made and took my girlfriend and I 2 days to finish them. I video taped the whole thing. I have 8 traps now, will be 10 traps total when the clouds come in.

Just a few squares of treatment foam makes a HUGE difference. I filled the corners in with Auralex LENRD traps first and the room was already "deadened" quite a bit!

It's the quietest room in the house. Not only the most dead room, but it's almost as though the outside noise and house noise has decreased. Very interesting. The rest of the rooms in the house you hear traffic etc and noises. My girlfriend walks in the studio and goes …"whoe… it's so quite in here.." The best part is, you can hear everything so clear through the monitors.

I still have a peak at 80hz and 105~hz. So that part is still frustrating. I've thought about doubling all the traps to 10inches.

Don't paint your studio dark blue…lol. It's almost too dark for my liking and you need a lot of light to brighten it up a bit. It always feels like you are working at night.

I had a bad experience with Ralph Lauren paint. The one I got just plain stinks, big time. I got sick from the smell for a week. They say 3 days, but it took a week and a half (with the window wide open) for the smell to go away. Thought I was going to die.

The independent air vent for the closet (computer room) is not enough and the room still gets too hot. Luckily I can monitor the temperatures of my Macs with this nifty desktop widget. But not having the computers in the room makes a HUGE difference. Need to record vocals? No problem. I HIGHLY recommend everyone to get those computers outa there.

FYI for anyone wanting to extend your DVI cables. Using long HDMI extensions cables was a bad idea for me and the single is very poor. $140 bucks down the tubes. Instead I purchased some DVI extension cables (25 feet) and the signal is almost flawless. 3m DVI-D M/F Dual Link Digital Video Extension Cable - Cables To Go

OK USB… Those wondering about how I got the USB single to reach so far. Well it was lots of trial and error and $$$. First I wanted to go with something professional so I purchased the USB 2.0 Extender by Gefen. I was REALLY excited to try this baby out, especially considering paying almost $400 for it. Unfortunately neither device it came with powered up with the supplied power cables and tech support could not help me so I returned it back to Amazon.com and got a 100% refund. By the way, Amazon has a great 30 day return policy. Here's the one i tried: Gefen Inc. - USB 2.0 Extender

So what worked for USB? This cable: Amazon.com: USB Active 2.0 Extension Repeater Cable, 15 ft: Electronics

This thing rocked! Only $18 each. I linked 2 of them together for a total of 30 feet. Now you may be asking yourself. "What about latency?" Drum roll please….. answer is… there is none. Well there's nothing noticeably different then having a 3 foot USB compared to my 30 foot cable. I can get down to 2.3 ms (If i NEED to) but I work fine around 5 and 6ms. So yes, you can place your computer in the next room and still use your keys :-)

Thanks for everyones help here.

Hope I can be helpful in anyway.
-Clank
Nice job
clank72
17th November 2009
Old 17th November 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewenson View Post
WHOOAAAAAA AWESOME. looks like you almost went overboard :P

i just moved into my new place and i'm gonna go to town on the acoustics of the room soon :D

i have a question though.

i need to isolate my g5 to quiet this damn place up. any suggestions? also i need everything to reach my console desk too :D

that usb extender is a great find! (i have to thank you haha)
but i also have my computer monitor that needs to reach the computer haha. do you know any extensions for that?
Hi andrewenson,

Yes you'll need to make sure you have a Male to Female DVI cable. Most DVI cables are Male to Male. I'm assuming you have an Apple display because you have a G5?

Apple displays have the DVI cable attached to them already with a Male connector. If this is the case, you'll need this cable 5m DVI-D M/F Dual Link Digital Video Extension Cable - Cables To Go

3m is 9~feet and 5m is 16 feet.

If you are using a standard LCD monitor then you'll need the same cable but Male to Male instead. That website has all you need for that.

For the computer, you'll need an air conditioned closet or you can move the computer to the next room and maybe hire an electrician/handyman to make you a snake wall-hole going from one side to the other.

Hope this helps!
-Clank
17th November 2009
Old 17th November 2009
Gear addict

Clank, nice looking room. Must be nice to work in!
18th November 2009
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Looks great!

Frank
23rd November 2009
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Head
Nice Job. Where did you get the ultra touch?
25th November 2009
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Nice setup! Looks great. One thing I was wondering.. shouldnt the speakers be facing the other way with tweeter facing outside? Thats what Iv been told and seen everywhere that had them laying down.

I did 10 traps myself and they really do help and make the room sound amazing, and I am thinking about taking the computer and putting it in the closet and im sure that would make a huge difference too because it can get a little noisey.
25th November 2009
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharper23 View Post
Nice setup! Looks great. One thing I was wondering.. shouldnt the speakers be facing the other way with tweeter facing outside? Thats what Iv been told and seen everywhere that had them laying down.

I did 10 traps myself and they really do help and make the room sound amazing, and I am thinking about taking the computer and putting it in the closet and im sure that would make a huge difference too because it can get a little noisey.
You can also try by putting some panels around it. I did that and it seems to help out a lot. I would agree that just removing it is better though.
clank72
29th November 2009
Old 29th November 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeele View Post
Nice Job. Where did you get the ultra touch?
Hi, please contact Bryan at osCommerce
clank72
29th November 2009
Old 29th November 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharper23 View Post
I used to have them standing up for a long time, but my new Adam A7's are much taller then my other monitors. The tweeter placement depends on the equilateral triangle from your ears in the seating/mixing position.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search