New Reply
Subscribe
Mambo
26th October 2009
Old 26th October 2009
Gear interested

A Question about absorbtion

Hello everyone out there,

After having read so many threads here about bass traps,especially placed in all corners of the room,I got that the the bass traps,for example, maden by mineral wool is ideal to control the low frequency response of our room.That is ok.

But What about mids and highs ? If mineral wool is more effective on lows than mids and highs,How can I control these range ?
26th October 2009
Old 26th October 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Rigid fiberglass and similar materials absorb mids and highs too. In fact, they absorb mids and highs better than they absorb bass.

--Ethan
26th October 2009
Old 26th October 2009
Gear interested

So unlike bass traps placed in corners,where do you generally prefer rigid fiberglass in room ? So far I see the most acoustic application (of course taking test measurements and results into account ) consist of diffuser at the back wall,bass traps in the corners,absorbers at the side walls for first reflections and additional absorbers as needed.
26th October 2009
Old 26th October 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
So unlike bass traps placed in corners,where do you generally prefer rigid fiberglass in room ? So far I see the most acoustic application (of course taking test measurements and results into account ) consist of diffuser at the back wall,bass traps in the corners,absorbers at the side walls for first reflections and additional absorbers as needed.
If a panel is made 4" or thicker from rigid fiberglass and placed straddling the corner it will not only absorb the low end but the high end. Products like ours, reals traps and DYI with FRK (on the fronts) are designed to make the fronts more reflective to not over absorb on the high end and also act as a membrane to help absorb a bit more low end. For the general decay and early reflection points (What Are Early Reflection Points. SPOTLIGHT:Bob Ebeling - Revolution Studio) you can use 2" panels which would not have a reflective front which would be used for the mid and upper range.
For the back wall it really depends on the size of the room. Most smaller rooms still need a good bit of THICK (I like 6") absorption with a mix of diffusion.

Hope that helps.
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
Mambo
26th October 2009
Old 26th October 2009
Gear interested

Definitely helpful man.I am thinking DIY treatment for my room and some questions were in my mind (in fact, always will be).These are one of my how ?

My room's walls and ceiling are concrete except for the floor (it is laminate parquet).I wonder What should I cover the walls with before I start to make my own absorbers,bass traps and maybe diffusers for the different points of room ? Or is placing my absorbers and other metarials such as bass traps on or in front of concrete walls without no treatment a good way to follow ?
26th October 2009
Old 26th October 2009
Gear Guru

I would put the bass traps and panels right on the wall.
Mambo
26th October 2009
Old 26th October 2009
Gear interested

Thanks for replies.I will share photos when I'm ready to go.

Helpfull ideas,people that love to share opinions,hope your approach will be a model to the whole world.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search