New Reply
Subscribe
muis12
28th September 2009
Old 28th September 2009
Gear interested

Small vocal booth 188hz question

Hi everyone,

I am a regular visitor of gearslutz, but not a poster.
I have a small problem and hope you are willing to help me out here. I know there have been similar threads, and I've read them. Still I'm having difficulties for my own room.
I have a small vocal booth, which is 3m L x 2.1m W x 2.4m H. In this room I am having trouble getting my recordings right. I just ran the Modecalculator from Ethan's site, which shows a problem at 188,33 Hz, 376,67 Hz and 282,50 Hz. Now I know I have to deal with these by adding basstraps (according to other posts). My question, what kind of bass traps and where do I place them. Is an actual treatment of the corners (f.e. superchunk) enough or should I treat the wall/ceiling corners also.

I must add to this that my room has one side wall which is angled to the ceiling. It is actually the roof. Also this is not a rectangular room. It has one 90 degr. corner which is 2,40m high, it has two 45 degr. corners of 2,40m high and is has two corners of aprox. 1,60m high (roofside)

I hope you'll help me out here.

Here a drawing of the layout

Small vocal booth 188hz question-layout.jpg
28th September 2009
Old 28th September 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

That's a decent size booth. I'd use conventional rigid fiberglass type bass traps four inches thick straddling the corners. Not only the wall-wall corners, but the wall-ceiling corners too if possible. A booth also needs more absorbers flat on the walls.

Understand that a mode calculator is not very useful for determining how to treat a room. It's really meant to help you design a new room. The preferred approach is broadband bass trapping, where all bass frequencies are absorbed. Not just those frequencies that resonate.

--Ethan
28th September 2009
Old 28th September 2009
Gear interested

Thank you Ethan,

I did some test recordings in it. I can hear there is a little boxyness in it, which I can EQ out, but nevertheless this is anoying me. therefore I choose to treat the room. By straddling the wall ceiling, do you mean all around? As you can see in the attached drawing there is an angled wall/ceiling.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search