Login / Register
 
superchunks - the lowdown?
New Reply
Subscribe
infinitedreams84
Thread Starter
#1
16th June 2009
Old 16th June 2009
  #1
Gear interested
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 22

Thread Starter
infinitedreams84 is offline
superchunks - the lowdown?

Hi all you gearslutz out there! I have a quick question regarding superchunks. I have 1 panel per wall to wall corner, 2x4 4" OC703 straddling those corners. However, these obviously don't cover that whole wall to wall corner, as my ceiling is around 7.5 feet high. I am thinking of using superchunks for the top and bottom of these wall to wall corners, with a straddling panel in between.... what do you all think about this idea?

The breakdown for each wall-to-wall:

2 superchunks, 1 top 1 bottom. Each would be 16" high, so 8 triangles of 2" OC703 stacked up.
1 straddling panel in between the two superchunks.

Is there a better way to get good bass trapping that I have overlooked? Thanks for all your help guys/gals!
#2
16th June 2009
Old 16th June 2009
  #2
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 16,206

Glenn Kuras is offline
I think it is a great idea. The chunks will help much more then the 4" from 60hz down.

thumbsupthumbsup
__________________
Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics USA
GIK Acoustics Europe
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
infinitedreams84
Thread Starter
#3
16th June 2009
Old 16th June 2009
  #3
Gear interested
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 22

Thread Starter
infinitedreams84 is offline
Thanks a lot Glenn! Its good to get a second opinion from someone who knows much more than I, its so tough wading through the plethora of information on the good ol' internet.

One more question: How would ya'll recommend hanging them from the ceiling corners? I have velcro but that doesn't hold on the burlap, and hooks i would assume would leave too much of an air gap. Also, I live in an apt, so adhesive on the walls is probably out... any thoughts? And thank you again!
jwl
#4
17th June 2009
Old 17th June 2009
  #4
jwl
Lives for gear
 
jwl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: southern Maine
Posts: 1,790

Send a message via AIM to jwl Send a message via Yahoo to jwl
jwl is offline
Superchunks are great, but it's not the most cost-effective use of absorbent material.

Coverage area is just as important, so using 4" panels covering every single corner of the room will yield better results than the same amount of material made into superchunks (which would have much less coverage area).

If you've got the budget to superchunk everything, then go for it.

As far as ceiling mounting, you'll probably need to build some sort of frame into or onto the walls to house the chunks.
#5
17th June 2009
Old 17th June 2009
  #5
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 16,206

Glenn Kuras is offline
Quote:
Coverage area is just as important, so using 4" panels covering every single corner of the room will yield better results than the same amount of material made into superchunks (which would have much less coverage area).
JWL sorry but I can't totally agree with that. Mixing up both ways will give a much better result. Yes it may cost a bit more but nothing close to what a pre amp, mic or what ever cost.
#6
17th June 2009
Old 17th June 2009
  #6
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 16,206

Glenn Kuras is offline
Quote:
One more question: How would ya'll recommend hanging them from the ceiling corners? I have velcro but that doesn't hold on the burlap, and hooks i would assume would leave too much of an air gap. Also, I live in an apt, so adhesive on the walls is probably out... any thoughts? And thank you again!
I think you would have to build some kind of frame for the chunks to fill up the area. If you had something like our Tri Trap I guess having something like a shelf to hold the top trap would work.
jwl
#7
17th June 2009
Old 17th June 2009
  #7
jwl
Lives for gear
 
jwl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: southern Maine
Posts: 1,790

Send a message via AIM to jwl Send a message via Yahoo to jwl
jwl is offline
Well of course mixing it up both ways will give better results, but that's not what I said.

I said that given a fixed amount of material, you are better off maximizing your coverage area with 4" panels, rather than only covering a few corners with superchunks.

You should read my posts a bit more carefully. And, you might find this article edifying.
#8
17th June 2009
Old 17th June 2009
  #8
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 16,206

Glenn Kuras is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwl View Post

You should read my posts a bit more carefully. And, you might find this article edifying.

Cheese dog dude, you got your undees out of whack today?

The guy was asking:

Quote:
Hi all you gearslutz out there! I have a quick question regarding superchunks. I have 1 panel per wall to wall corner, 2x4 4" OC703 straddling those corners. However, these obviously don't cover that whole wall to wall corner, as my ceiling is around 7.5 feet high. I am thinking of using superchunks for the top and bottom of these wall to wall corners, with a straddling panel in between.... what do you all think about this idea?

The breakdown for each wall-to-wall:

2 superchunks, 1 top 1 bottom. Each would be 16" high, so 8 triangles of 2" OC703 stacked up.
1 straddling panel in between the two superchunks.

Is there a better way to get good bass trapping that I have overlooked? Thanks for all your help guys/gals!
Which had nothing to do with "cost". He wanted to know which one works best.
jwl
#9
18th June 2009
Old 18th June 2009
  #9
jwl
Lives for gear
 
jwl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: southern Maine
Posts: 1,790

Send a message via AIM to jwl Send a message via Yahoo to jwl
jwl is offline
Nah, don't eat cheese dogs. Or hot dogs. Too phallic for me.

Actually, he asked for the best approach. If he's gonna buy enough material to build a few superchunks, he's better off covering more surface area in the room with 4" panels across all the corners of the room. Enough material to chunk the areas he's talking about chunking should provide that.

Once all the corners are covered, then start thickening the existing panels, possibly doing up chunks.

But now I'm repeating myself. I'll stop before I tell you again to read posts more carefully.
#10
18th June 2009
Old 18th June 2009
  #10
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 16,206

Glenn Kuras is offline
Quote:
But now I'm repeating myself.
#11
18th June 2009
Old 18th June 2009
  #11
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 16,206

Glenn Kuras is offline
Quote:
Actually, he asked for the best approach. If he's gonna buy enough material to build a few superchunks, he's better off covering more surface area in the room with 4" panels across all the corners of the room. Enough material to chunk the areas he's talking about chunking should provide that.
lol.. This is getting silly.

infinitedreams84,
Bottom line, your plan is solid so go for it. thumbsup
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
greenears / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
6
Rednose / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
51
nevegeek / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
9
Messiah / Chuck Ainlay, Ed Cherney, Frank Filipetti, George Massenburg, Elliot Scheiner, Al Schmitt
3
JB3 / So much gear, so little time!
8

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.