Login / Register

Are LERND traps really, really crap?
New Reply
Subscribe
mikeynyuk
13th May 2009
Old 13th May 2009
Gear maniac

Unhappy Are LERND traps really, really crap?

Hi all,

just putting together a new room in Tenerife, Spain. I have always made my own bass traps in the past using 703, always worked great. Now I dont live in Canada anymore, I am living in Tenerife. I have a small little studio room, maybe 14 by 11 by 9ft. I went to the local music store to ask about acoustic products since I couldn't source any rigid fibreglass insulation on the Island.

Of course, Auralex was what was suggested. Never having used their stuff before, I thought , "well, it must work, they are really famous, " I ordered 8 Lernds and bought a bunch of their foam. I have put some of the foam up and am awaiting delivery of the LERNDS. Thought I'd hop on here...and sheesh...seems like nobody is diggin the foam.

I must say, the foam I have put up, (on first reflection points and a smathering on a wall for which to back vocalists in) sounds pretty ok to me. NOw I'm really worried after reading here for an hour that the LERNDS are just crap.

My only other local option is fluufy rolls of fibregalss that they sell here, Ive read a little about people compressing it, keeping it in plastic, using it as corner fill etc, Im not sure, its a bummer.

Shipping GIKs products from the UK is the next option, but Canary Islands is a zone 7 ...expensive. I know how much I used to pay for my homemade traps when I was in Canada with 703 and I'm finding it hard to justify paying 8 to 10 times more when all is said and done with shipping.

so, people, are the LERNDS really, really a waste of time?

thanks

Mike
13th May 2009
Old 13th May 2009
Lives for gear

Do they absorb some low frequencies?
Yes.

However, typically they cost more and are less effective than other porous absorbers (i.e. glass fiber products)

Pink stuff will work fine, you will just need to figure out a good way to mount (and probably compress) it.
mikeynyuk
13th May 2009
Old 13th May 2009
Gear maniac

Thanks for your answer. In this case they may actually cost less than homemade traps, crazy as it seems. So, maybe, your implying, LERNDS aren't totally crap? They might actually make the bass response in my room, even and useable (as their advertising suggests..)????

Re. the mineral wool.Its not actually the pink stuff, its the yellow stuff. It comes in a roll or a slab...but this isnt like an owens corning slab, you can pinch right into it with your thumb and forefinger and it doesnt really hold its shape. Has anyone had any luck working with this lightweight mineral wool, and if so , any tips?

I'm tearing my hair out and am going to lose sleep, seriously, this will wreck my head cause Im a gearslut.obsiesive thinker. agh!
mikeynyuk
13th May 2009
Old 13th May 2009
Gear maniac

officially losing sleep, this sucks
jwl
13th May 2009
Old 13th May 2009
jwl
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to jwl Send a message via Yahoo to jwl
The problem with LENRDs is that they are too small to have much effect below 200Hz or so.

I imagine you should be able to find rockwool in Spain, if you really want to DIY. If you don't want to DIY, then you'll have to pony up to get traps that are more effective where all the action is (under 100Hz).
mikeynyuk
13th May 2009
Old 13th May 2009
Gear maniac

Indeed, I think I will be going the DIY route with this lightweight rockwool, which Im assured is the only kind available on the islands. Anyone else have any experience using rolled, not very dense, rockwool. Tips on working with this stuff would be appreciated. Im considering just making big rolls out of it for the corners, and making a purely cosmetic frame to stretch material over, and hide thide the rolle dup rockwool behind it.

anyone got any brighter ideas?

thanks

Mike
13th May 2009
Old 13th May 2009
Gear maniac

You could always try jumping on it

Thats what I did to compress two normal rockwool slabs into the space of one and its been fine

Cheap DIY Bass Traps
13th May 2009
Old 13th May 2009
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to George Necola
yeah, try the DIY rockwool thing. the auralex foam is just too leightweight. it helps for absorbing some midrange stuff..

and it looks ugly.
---------------------------------------------
www.georgenecola.com produce & mix itm/gear & fun

blog.georgenecola.com reviews & gear
13th May 2009
Old 13th May 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeynyuk View Post
So, maybe, your implying, LERNDS aren't totally crap?
You can see a direct comparison of LENRDs, Foam By Mail knock-offs, and real bass traps on the RealTraps Product Data page.

--Ethan
13th May 2009
Old 13th May 2009
Gear nut

Ouch. I feel a little sorry for mikey.

Regards,
mikeynyuk
13th May 2009
Old 13th May 2009
Gear maniac

Yikes, yeah that look fairly impotent under 200 HZ.

Good news is I found some dense rigid mineral wool today!

Took me all day driving around industrial estates, poking around warehouses and pestering sleepy spaniard workers. I don't have the specific density, but in appearance, weight and squishingness it appears much the same as OC703. It comes with silver paper glued onto one side and is designed to de used as roofing in warehouses, to keep the heat in...T The guy told me they haven't sold any since they got it in four years ago, which is hardly suprising seeing as the temperature rarely drops below 20 degrees in Tenerife. Needless to say I got a good price

Already picked up some material and will hit the hardware store tommorow for wood and brackets. I'll post pics. Tonight, I hope to sleep

Like to say thanks to Ethan for having such a great site, I have consulted it in the past and spent much of the morning on it today getting some important facts straightened out in my head.

peace all

Mike
13th May 2009
Old 13th May 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Weasel9992
The problem with LNRDs isn't just that they don't work well for bass absorption (though they don't), it's also that they work about as well throughout the frequency spectrum if not better. In other words, you're absorbing about as much at 4Khz as you are at 125Hz. That's the very definition of a poorly designed bass trap.

Frank

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search