Login / Register
 
I just built my first skyline diffuser....
New Reply
Subscribe
#61
11th October 2010
Old 11th October 2010
  #61
Lives for gear
 
Jens Eklund's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,687

Jens Eklund is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis. View Post
Wheres the best position to place such diffusors, behind the listener or on the sidewalls?
Does my room need diffuser?

/Jens
#62
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
  #62
Gear interested
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 18

mtbdudex is offline
My 1st post here, I got here via avsforum.
(In my day job 25 years ago I used to be a tool and die designer, lots of experience with special machines, molds, sheetmetal wood models, sheetmetal dies, etc.)

I see this, and in my mind it's a Master male pattern;


Sure, there may be die-lock issues, but those could be addressed.
-Make a Master female pattern from it
-Then that master female pattern mold can be used to make multiple lightweight copies, exact duplicates of the master male pattern using layup techniques.

I did not see that discussed in this thread, have others done it?
If there is a link to that please post.
#63
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
  #63
Lives for gear
 
PaulP's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,196

PaulP is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
I did not see that discussed in this thread, have others done it?
If there is a link to that please post.
The BBC really wanted to get this to work but I think they finally gave up.

You can read all about it here : MODULAR ACOUSTIC DIFFUSER
#64
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
  #64
Gear interested
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 18

mtbdudex is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulP View Post
The BBC really wanted to get this to work but I think they finally gave up.

You can read all about it here : MODULAR ACOUSTIC DIFFUSER
Thx, I downloaded and briefly read the paper.
I need to "absorb" their test results/conclusions....
#65
28th May 2011
Old 28th May 2011
  #65
Gear addict
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: denver colorado
Posts: 399

Send a message via AIM to daveybasso
daveybasso is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H View Post
They look great, nice work!



Sounds like a good starting point.

I would definitely put some bass trapping in there.
how do you keep something like that from flexing during installation and the blocks popping off or breaking off thier glue? just curious
#66
28th May 2011
Old 28th May 2011
  #66
Gear addict
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: denver colorado
Posts: 399

Send a message via AIM to daveybasso
daveybasso is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H View Post
As a test I decided to build a skyline diffuser today! I calculated the dimensions with the free mhsoft software and went for a basic design wich works from 860Hz to 3440Hz.

Views: Size: ">Attachment-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-107729

Got a bunch of wood from the Gamma store, I needed a total of 15 meter by 5 cm. Took out the machine saw and sawed them in to little pieces of 20, 15, 10 and 5 cm.

Attachment 107730

After that, all I had to do was glue them on a 60 by 60 cm panel in the right order. My cat decided to help.

Attachment 107731

Halfway there!

Attachment 107732

And there it is, the glue has to dry for a day, I will install it in the studio over the weekend.

Attachment 107733

Total costs of building this; around 30 Euro's.


Cheers,

Tommy
so what keeps something like that from flexing and popping off some of the blocks ( as i understand they are only glued on?) when you pick it up and move it around to mount it? or is the glue just that strong ehe
#67
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
  #67
Lives for gear
 
HermanV's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 583

HermanV is offline
Spray Paint

Hi guys. I have built two of these diffusers already and stained them. the staining takes quite a while. Has anyone tried simply spray painting them? Will it ruin the pine?

Also.. How are you mounting them? I drywall screwed them into the wall on the spaces marked "0" But I am paranoid about them just hanging on drywall screws cause of the weight.
#68
17th January 2012
Old 17th January 2012
  #68
Lives for gear
 
HermanV's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 583

HermanV is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveybasso View Post
so what keeps something like that from flexing and popping off some of the blocks ( as i understand they are only glued on?) when you pick it up and move it around to mount it? or is the glue just that strong ehe
As long as the board you glue it on is smooth and does not bend easily (I used plywood about 1/8th of an inch thick). I glued the pieces using Titebond ultimate wood glue and they are not going anywhere.
#69
18th January 2012
Old 18th January 2012
  #69
Gear interested
 
bobbybovine's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 14

bobbybovine is offline
Hi everyone, I have been toying around the idea of skyline diffusors however I don't want to go the wood route for weight issues. No one has really said if the ones made from extruded polystyrene are as effective as wood? Are there different densities of the polystyrene that are better or is the stuff that is readily available in your local building supplies store sufficient? And would the 1D diffusor be a better or worse solution?
#70
18th January 2012
Old 18th January 2012
  #70
Lives for gear
 
Jens Eklund's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,687

Jens Eklund is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybovine View Post
Hi everyone, I have been toying around the idea of skyline diffusors however I don't want to go the wood route for weight issues. No one has really said if the ones made from extruded polystyrene are as effective as wood? Are there different densities of the polystyrene that are better or is the stuff that is readily available in your local building supplies store sufficient? And would the 1D diffusor be a better or worse solution?
Diffusors: opinions about EPS polystyrene?

In a control room, 1D diffusers are usually a better option, especially if LEDE/RFZ design.
#71
18th January 2012
Old 18th January 2012
  #71
Gear interested
 
bobbybovine's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 14

bobbybovine is offline
Awesome thanks. Now I have been thinking of using varying diameters of PVC Pipe cut in half length ways and arranged randomly to create a diffusion panel. Is there any stock in this or is it just a "pipe" dream? I have not seen anything like that anywhere on the interwebs either. I am sure someone here can tell me why it isn't done.

Thanks

Bob
#72
18th January 2012
Old 18th January 2012
  #72
Lives for gear
 
Jens Eklund's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,687

Jens Eklund is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybovine View Post
Awesome thanks. Now I have been thinking of using varying diameters of PVC Pipe cut in half length ways and arranged randomly to create a diffusion panel. Is there any stock in this or is it just a "pipe" dream? I have not seen anything like that anywhere on the interwebs either. I am sure someone here can tell me why it isn't done.

Thanks

Bob
Pvc pipe diffuser
#73
18th January 2012
Old 18th January 2012
  #73
Gear interested
 
bobbybovine's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 14

bobbybovine is offline
Thanks for that but I was thinking more of them lined side by side in varying diameters (1" - 16" randomly) I did find this thread but nothing conclusive.

Cheap DIY Diffuser Panel Idea
#74
18th January 2012
Old 18th January 2012
  #74
Lives for gear
 
Jens Eklund's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,687

Jens Eklund is offline
#75
18th January 2012
Old 18th January 2012
  #75
Gear interested
 
bobbybovine's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 14

bobbybovine is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post
Thanks that is exactly what I am looking for, and it looks like it works quite well if I am interpreting the data correctly. And a cheap and easy DIY project at that. Thanks so much Jens!!

Bob
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
DeeDrive / So much gear, so little time!
35
Dopamine / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
31
GrahamN / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
2
Rokus666 / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
4
Disjointed / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
8

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.