OC SelectSound™ Black Acoustic Board
Paje
2nd December 2008
Old 2nd December 2008
Gear Head

Question OC SelectSound™ Black Acoustic Board

Greetings all,

I tried a couple of searches but couldn't find any hits on this product & wondering if it has been evaluated by the slutz-collective. ~> Commercial Acoustic Systems: SelectSound® Black Acoustic Board
The specs are here (pdf) ~> http://www.owenscorning.com/around/s...s/BLACKAC1.PDF

I'm just in the initial stages of dealing with the acoustics in my room. I was looking at building panels from OC 703, which I can obtain locally and from which I was initially planning on building panels. I'm curious as to how the "SelectSound™ Black Acoustic Board" performs, if anyone knows. For convenience sake, I like that it already has matting ("...the durable black mat facing may be cleaned by vacuuming") but am wondering if it would be complimentary and/or competitive with OC-703 panels.

TIA,
Paje
2nd December 2008
Old 2nd December 2008
Lives for gear

wow thanks! i've been putting off doing my clouds for ages but this looks like a great material for them.

they don't list 4" specs, but you could just stick together two 2" panels. great absorption but a bit lacking at 125 hz. fully competitive with roxul and beats 703 at 2".

selectsound specs:
http://www.owenscorning.com/comminsu...ic%20Board.doc

for comparison see RHT 40 2" and OC 703 2" specs here:
http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

someone else's panels with this stuff:
DIY Acoustic Panels
dunno if the resin treatment he did is necessary
Paje
2nd December 2008
Old 2nd December 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovisceral View Post
wow thanks! i've been putting off doing my clouds for ages but this looks like a great material.

they don't list 4" specs, but you could just stick together two 2" panels. great absorption but a bit lacking at 125 hz.

http://www.owenscorning.com/comminsu...ic%20Board.doc
Glad to be of service. Doing some google searches, seems this product has been around a few years? (2004?) I'm also reading that it is made from the same material as the 703, just with some sort of black glass-fiber "skin" already installed (on one side?). One side matted would be Ok because I was planning on "sandwiching" them anyways. My (Local) supplier reported they are less expensive then the 703s. Easier and less-expensive = better for me (as long as performance is up to par).
2nd December 2008
Old 2nd December 2008
Lives for gear

it appears to be sandwiched on only one side. but they advertise it as nondeformable which is good.
Paje
2nd December 2008
Old 2nd December 2008
Gear Head

Does it really seem good? I like the dimensions as well (48"x96"). I read this ~>
Quote:
No the skin isn't a fabric, just a denser fiberglass layer. But it's very smooth and not irritating at all, no problem if you brush up against it. The main concern is puncturing it, but I suppose that would happen with thin fabric as well.
(from here ~> http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=885&start=2)

The minimum order is reportedly less as well. I was looking at 120 pieces of the 703, lol!
Paje
3rd December 2008
Old 3rd December 2008
Gear Head

I got my pricing info today. There is no min order (one case has 4 pieces of 48"x96"x2") but the pricing comes out to $2.53/sq.ft. ($323.42/cs)
The OC-703 is $112/cs, 12 24"x48"x2" to a case, so $1.17/sq.ft. Less than half the cost of the SelectSound! Of course, I have to order 120 pieces to get that price, but, for my requirements, I'll be spending about the same amount of money for 46% of the product. Now I just need to factor in cost of fabric covering and time involved assembling the OC-703. Gahh.. no ROIs before coffee! tutt

Hmmm.. what do you think audiovisceral?
3rd December 2008
Old 3rd December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paje View Post
I got my pricing info today. There is no min order (one case has 4 pieces of 48"x96"x2") but the pricing comes out to $2.53/sq.ft. ($323.42/cs)
The OC-703 is $112/cs, 12 24"x48"x2" to a case, so $1.17/sq.ft. Less than half the cost of the SelectSound! Of course, I have to order 120 pieces to get that price, but, for my requirements, I'll be spending about the same amount of money for 46% of the product. Now I just need to factor in cost of fabric covering and time involved assembling the OC-703. Gahh.. no ROIs before coffee! tutt

Hmmm.. what do you think audiovisceral?
that higher cost makes sense based on what it is. on second look, it appears to be just oc703 dyed black and with a membrane glued on one side. not worth the money.

if you're doing a framed project, try to get some roxul/rockwool rht40 (floppier but better and safer) or if not framed, stick with the oc703.

wear a mask either way and if you can, use a tighter fabric than burlap (at least imo).
Paje
3rd December 2008
Old 3rd December 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
. on second look, it appears to be just oc703 dyed black and with a membrane glued on one side. not worth the money.
lol! You should write their marketing copy! They do seem to be very "proud" of the fact that it is black. If I could trouble you w/another question - just how rigid is the OC-703? I'd just assume not be troubled with framing if possible but, then again, I would then need to secure the fabric directly to the 703, which could be difficult. (I'll be certain to use something of tight enough mesh so as to not allow particles to escape).
3rd December 2008
Old 3rd December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
that higher cost makes sense based on what it is. on second look, it appears to be just oc703 dyed black and with a membrane glued on one side. not worth the money.
That is *exactly* what it looks like to me. For double the price I think you'd be nuts to buy it...OC703 or mineral wool will accomplish precisely the same thing.

Frank
3rd December 2008
Old 3rd December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paje View Post
lol! You should write their marketing copy! They do seem to be very "proud" of the fact that it is black. If I could trouble you w/another question - just how rigid is the OC-703? I'd just assume not be troubled with framing if possible but, then again, I would then need to secure the fabric directly to the 703, which could be difficult. (I'll be certain to use something of tight enough mesh so as to not allow particles to escape).
703 maintains its edges/corners sharper better. that's all. either way, if you're going to hang them, a frame will be generally necessary.

...or for the money, i like these
Ready Acoustics, LLC - Bass Traps - Acoustic Panels - Do It Yourself! Solutions - Stylish Mounts - Corner Mount

though gik products look better.
Paje
3rd December 2008
Old 3rd December 2008
Gear Head

11th February 2009
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

Definitely. Just a couple of things from their website that should be corrected:

You may treat 100% of your room if you like the best of the best. You will just have to add some reflective surfaces, as you don’t want the room to be too absorptive.

No, not so much. Treating 100% of the room is not only NOT the "best of the best", it's very rarely the right thing to do at all.

...and, under advantages of treating the room are these two bullet points:

• Reduce sound leakage to other rooms.
Nope...it absolutely will not. It *probably* won't make it worse either, but it won't help in any significant way. There is a world of difference between soundproofing and acoustic treatment; increasing STC ratings typically has no effect on NRC ratings at best, and vice verse *at best*. Worst case, increasing one decreases the other.

• Excelling heat barrier.
No, it isn't. Applying mineral wool or rigid fiberglass to a wall surface will have no effect whatsoever on the thermal rating of a room. Again, it's not going to hurt either.

Frank
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search