DIY Ultratouch Cotton Bass Traps / Broadband Absorbers
New Reply
Subscribe
Implicit
4th July 2008
Old 4th July 2008
Gear nut

Lightbulb Updated Design

Time is money, right? Turns out most of the time I spent on making the first trap was stapling in the chicken wire, so I slightly modified the design so that the chicken wire (hopefully) wouldn't be needed.

What I did was use 6 of the cross braces to hold the Ultratouch in place instead of the chicken wire. With this approach I was worried about the Ultratouch protruding far enough to eventually touch where the fabric will be, but so far I haven't seen too much bulging during the Ultratouch's initial decompression. On the upside, the frames are even more rigid with the extra 5 braces

Update Cost: Total parts cost for each unit is around $103 (Ultratouch $36, Ikea parts $62, hardware $5) and will be right at $133/unit after I install the fabric. Construction time is now 1 hour.

Frame assembled with 6 cross braces in place:

Implicit
4th July 2008
Old 4th July 2008
Gear nut

One brace removed so that the Ultratouch can be installed:

Brace, reinstalled -- trap finished for now:

Implicit
6th July 2008
Old 6th July 2008
Gear nut

Lightbulb Updated again...

I took the second trap apart to reinstall the Ultratouch in a different fashion. This orientation has a more uniform absorption surface but I'll wait a few days to see how much it bulges past the cross braces to make sure it won't eventually interfere with the fabric wrap.

6th July 2008
Old 6th July 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to diogo_c
can't see the pics...
Implicit
6th July 2008
Old 6th July 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
can't see the pics...
Sorry you are having problems -- I updated some of the image links last night, so try clearing your browser cache. I just cleared my caches here I can see the images just fine with both IE and Firefox on the PC and Firefox and Safari on the Mac. I logged into the remote server and looked at the web server log and I can see people retrieving the images so I know it's working for some. Send me a PM if you still can't get it to work. Thanks
Implicit
8th July 2008
Old 8th July 2008
Gear nut

Smile More Samples

I ordered a full Guilford of Maine FR701 sample book from GIK Acoustics that arrived today... decisions decisions

Implicit
9th July 2008
Old 9th July 2008
Gear nut

Question

Speaking of fabric, for those of you who have used GOM FR701 in the past -- did you have any issues with being able to see wood etc behind the fabric? The weave on the FR701 is more sparse than I was expecting and I'm wondering if I might need to plan to have a base fabric color underneath it. Please share your experiences
9th July 2008
Old 9th July 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Implicit View Post
Speaking of fabric, for those of you who have used GOM FR701 in the past -- did you have any issues with being able to see wood etc behind the fabric? The weave on the FR701 is more sparse than I was expecting and I'm wondering if I might need to plan to have a base fabric color underneath it. Please share your experiences
I have used this in my DIY traps.
I have no issue seeing the wood except when I'm taking a picture and using a flash.
Really, in everyday use, all I see is the black fabric.
9th July 2008
Old 9th July 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
I think your going to see the wood frame vs the ultra stuff when a light is shined on it, but I don't think it would be so bad that you would notice it all the time.

Glad you got the sample book, let me know if you need anything else!!!!!!!

Glenn
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
Implicit
13th July 2008
Old 13th July 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuben View Post
I have used this in my DIY traps.
I have no issue seeing the wood except when I'm taking a picture and using a flash.
Really, in everyday use, all I see is the black fabric.
Hi Ryuben,

Yea I could imagine with black, but I worry about very light colors such as the "Silver Papier" and "Quartz" below:

Quote:
Guilford of Maine FR701 fabric samples arrived today:

From left to right...
Top: 403 Vanilla Neutral, 404 Apricot Neutral, 401 Blue Neutral, 481 Pearl
Bottom: 538 Silver Papier, 380 Quartz, 400 Cherry Neutral, 394 Opal
Just holding the small sample up to one of my traps it's pretty easy to see the transition underneath between the wood and the Ultratouch...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
I think your going to see the wood frame vs the ultra stuff when a light is shined on it, but I don't think it would be so bad that you would notice it all the time.
Hi Glenn,

Even with the colors mentioned above?
Implicit
14th July 2008
Old 14th July 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
I took the second trap apart to reinstall the Ultratouch in a different fashion. This orientation has a more uniform absorption surface but I'll wait a few days to see how much it bulges past the cross braces to make sure it won't eventually interfere with the fabric wrap.
As I suspected, three layers of R-21 starts to bulge after a while

Implicit
14th July 2008
Old 14th July 2008
Gear nut

Cool Updated Design Part 3

Since I needed another batch of Ultratouch to finish all the traps, I decided to pick up a bag of R-13 instead of R-21 so that I could mix and match to get the thickness just right:

Time to fix that bulging trap:

I found that two layers of R-13 with a layer of R-21 sandwiched in between gives the desired thickness.

I had to do some cutting to get the 94" batts trimmed down to the right length. To do this I used a serrated blade knife as that seemed to work best. The R-13 cut pretty easily but the R-21 (below) took more effort:

Implicit
14th July 2008
Old 14th July 2008
Gear nut

Pics of the previously bulging trap with the new R-13/R-21/R-13 setup installed. So far no bulging

14th July 2008
Old 14th July 2008
Lives for gear

They look great!

Andre
14th July 2008
Old 14th July 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hi Ryuben,

Yea I could imagine with black, but I worry about very light colors such as the "Silver Papier" and "Quartz" below:

Just holding the small sample up to one of my traps it's pretty easy to see the transition underneath between the wood and the Ultratouch...

----------

Hi Glenn,

Even with the colors mentioned above?
Well our pillar trap GIK Acoustics: GIK Elite Pillar Bass Trap has a wood frame and yes you can see the frame through it but like I said you REALLY have to look hard.

Glenn
Implicit
14th July 2008
Old 14th July 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Well our pillar trap GIK Acoustics: GIK Elite Pillar Bass Trap has a wood frame and yes you can see the frame through it but like I said you REALLY have to look hard
Is that only for the Black fabric versions?

Have you made any with lighter color FR701?
14th July 2008
Old 14th July 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Is that only for the Black fabric versions?

Have you made any with lighter color FR701?
Yes we have made them with bone also and could not see it all that much.

Glenn
Implicit
14th July 2008
Old 14th July 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Yes we have made them with bone also and could not see it all that much
Thanks. Roughly what color is the absorptive material inside?
Implicit
14th July 2008
Old 14th July 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
They look great!
Thanks!
15th July 2008
Old 15th July 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
The diameter of the finished trap is ~62" and the FR 701 comes in linear yards of 66" x 36", so I'll have around 4" excess to finish the vertical seem. The trap's height is around ~71" so it will probably take slightly more than 2 linear yards (66" x 72") to cover the trap from top to bottom since the top will be also covered with fabric. Hope that helps
do you happen to remember the price you got the materials for? It looks really good, I always hated the fiber glass stuff because it looks dangerous to be living in the same room as that stuff (although we probably have it insulating around the house, that stuff just play mind game with me whenever I see it).
15th July 2008
Old 15th July 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks. Roughly what color is the absorptive material inside?

Not as dark as the stuff you used.

Glenn
Implicit
15th July 2008
Old 15th July 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
do you happen to remember the price you got the materials for? It looks really good, I always hated the fiber glass stuff because it looks dangerous to be living in the same room as that stuff (although we probably have it insulating around the house, that stuff just play mind game with me whenever I see it).
I haven't purchased the FR701 yet, but I was estimating $15 per linear yard.
17th July 2008
Old 17th July 2008
Gear Head

fabric

I bought fabric here and it's nice.

Cheaper than the GOM stuff.
6th August 2008
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Head

15th August 2008
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Head

From what I have been reading, 16" inch wide floor to ceiling bass traps are not nearly as effective as 24" wide floor to ceiling bass traps. I have heard some go as far as to say that 16" inches is just to narrow all together and do not really effect low frequency at all. I am building bass traps similar to the ones in this thread. I have some 16" x 94" x 5-1/2" UltraTouch, and now after hearing that it is to narrow I'm wondering if I should scratch the idea of using the 16" wide and buy some 24" wide Ultratouch instead. Could someone shed some light on this for me? I guess a good question would be, how effective are the actual results of the ones being built in this thread?
15th August 2008
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octra View Post
From what I have been reading, 16" inch wide floor to ceiling bass traps are not nearly as effective as 24" wide floor to ceiling bass traps. I have heard some go as far as to say that 16" inches is just to narrow all together and do not really effect low frequency at all. I am building bass traps similar to the ones in this thread. I have some 16" x 94" x 5-1/2" UltraTouch, and now after hearing that it is to narrow I'm wondering if I should scratch the idea of using the 16" wide and buy some 24" wide Ultratouch instead. Could someone shed some light on this for me? I guess a good question would be, how effective are the actual results of the ones being built in this thread?
If you where making a flat panel that was 16" wide, to straddle the corner, I would agree but if you make a 16" squ and put that in the corner it will work REALLY well. It will have almost the same as filling the corner with a 24" face TIMES 2. Meaning making 2, 17x17x24 inch filled areas and putting them together. Our Pillar bass trap is basically like 2 Tri Traps put together in size.

Glenn
15th August 2008
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Head

I see, thanks for the clarification. Well, I was planning on 16" panel traps in the corner but now I guess that is going to have to change. I am in a pretty small room so I was hoping I would'nt have to use 24" wide panels in the corner but I guess I don't have a choice. I still have the 16" Ultratouch though. Any suggestions on how to utilize them, maybe on the sides of the room?
Implicit
16th August 2008
Old 16th August 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefD View Post
this would be a great project to share on Ikea Hacker.
Good call -- I should do that once they are complete.
Implicit
16th August 2008
Old 16th August 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octra View Post
I see, thanks for the clarification. Well, I was planning on 16" panel traps in the corner but now I guess that is going to have to change. I am in a pretty small room so I was hoping I would'nt have to use 24" wide panels in the corner but I guess I don't have a choice. I still have the 16" Ultratouch though. Any suggestions on how to utilize them, maybe on the sides of the room?
For bass traps the name of the game is surface area and thickness. I would have to agree with Glenn... if you don't want to put a 24" triangle across your corners then do the 16" and put them in a square frame configuration like the ones in this thread or use 2 layers of the 16" across the corners with the corner totally filled. The second piece of Ultratouch will be a better absorber than the air gap much like all of the "superchunk" designs you can find in threads elsewhere on this forum.
16th August 2008
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
pretty cool.. Kind of reminds me of our new table trap!!

Glenn
This is sooooo pimp!
Best idea ever!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search