Login / Register

Your thoughts on my room treatment please.
New Reply
Subscribe
richardswag
14th May 2008
Old 14th May 2008
Gear addict

Your thoughts on my room treatment please.

Hi

I've had to setup a temporary room (for composing and mixing - maybe recording the occasional vox or acc guitar) whilst my long-term garden studio build is under planning.

The room is a perfect square and sounds absolutely dreadful - hard floor and walls and no soft furnishings aren't helping. To make matters worse - the size of my workstation means that my listening position is almost bang in the middle of the room.

So I'm almost done building 3 broadband bass traps (I don't want to do corner chunks as there are sockets there - as well as the fact that the room will have to become a guest room again at some point) and 2 side absorbers to see how that might initially improve things. The attached pic shows my first thoughts on where I'd place them. Opinions?

Also - I'm not 100% sure about what to do with the back wall and maybe the ceiling (the door is kind of in the way for putting traps in the corners).

TIA for your input.

Richard Brown
Attached Thumbnails
Your thoughts on my room treatment please.-bedroom-setup.jpg  
14th May 2008
Old 14th May 2008
Gear Guru

Well I guess I don't need to tell you that a squ room and being set up in the middle is about as bad as you can get. tutt Needless to say you are just going to need A LOT more bass trapping in that room then you are planning and make sure you place that panel off the wall 4" on that back wall. In fact you should go with more panels back there if you can. Also you straddle corners where that are not just wall to wall corner but also ceiling to wall and floor to wall. See the following for a panel straddling the ceiling to wall.

For the ceiling us 2" panels spaced off the ceiling 2" and cover the early reflection between where you sit and the monitors.

Glenn
http://www.gikacoustics.de (German Translation)
404 492 8364 (USA)
+44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (Europe)

Built in Slat design (Scattering/Diffusion) on all Bass Traps click here
14th May 2008
Old 14th May 2008
Gear addict

Traps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
Well I guess I don't need to tell you that a squ room and being set up in the middle is about as bad as you can get. tutt Needless to say you are just going to need A LOT more bass trapping in that room then you are planning and make sure you place that panel off the wall 4" on that back wall. In fact you should go with more panels back there if you can. Also you straddle corners where that are not just wall to wall corner but also ceiling to wall and floor to wall. See the following for a panel straddling the ceiling to wall.

For the ceiling us 2" panels spaced off the ceiling 2" and cover the early reflection between where you sit and the monitors.

Glenn

Hey Glenn are those your monster traps?
richardswag
14th May 2008
Old 14th May 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
I was planning on the one on the back wall being like the top one in your pic, and the ones in the corners straddling all 3 dimensions of the corners. As I can't get anything in the corner with the door (see pic) - should I put something in the opposite back corner or not? (I gather the symetry is less important behind you). Would you suggest 4" or 2" panels on the back wall directly behind me - and would some Auralex foam be some help too?

Sorry for the barrage of questions and thanks for your advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Your thoughts on my room treatment please.-doorcorner.jpg  
14th May 2008
Old 14th May 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
should I put something in the opposite back corner or not?
Straddling any corner is a good thing.

Quote:
Hey Glenn are those your monster traps?
No it is the GIK 244 panel. GIK Acoustics: GIK 244 Bass Trap

Glenn
14th May 2008
Old 14th May 2008
Lives for gear

If that were my room, I would cover every surface possible in broadband absorbers starting with the corners (wall/ceiling and wall/floor as well as wall/wall) and consider a diffusor along the back wall so that it doesn't sound too dead. Also try to bring your listening position forward if you can. Anywhere is better than the center of the room.
jwl
15th May 2008
Old 15th May 2008
jwl
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to jwl Send a message via Yahoo to jwl
Agreed, if that drawing is to scale then at the center of the room from 2 dimensions you are almost certainly sitting in a major null. I'd move forward or back, so that you are 38% into the room from the front wall or rear wall.

And yes, more bass trapping, the square room demands it. Cover every corner (including wall/ceiling) and the rear wall.
15th May 2008
Old 15th May 2008
Lives for gear

+1 on the rear wall. Also likely to have to do one directly to your side on each side.

Bryan

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustical Designer
GIK Acoustics
richardswag
16th May 2008
Old 16th May 2008
Gear addict

16th May 2008
Old 16th May 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardswag View Post
Looks like I'm definitely going to need more - but I just finished building the first 5 (see here Yet Another How I Built My Bass Traps (in the UK) thread...) and just standing them in the room has a marked effect. Hanging them properly tomorrow...
Well keep us posted and if you have any questions at all.

Glenn
richardswag
16th May 2008
Old 16th May 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbronson View Post
If that were my room, I would cover every surface possible in broadband absorbers starting with the corners (wall/ceiling and wall/floor as well as wall/wall) and consider a diffusor along the back wall so that it doesn't sound too dead. Also try to bring your listening position forward if you can. Anywhere is better than the center of the room.
I was actually considering a QRD directly behind me - if only for the fact that they look really cool!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search