Login / Register

Roxul Rockboard 60 - best LF absorber Roxul makes?
New Reply
Subscribe
danbronson
10th April 2008
Old 10th April 2008
Lives for gear

Roxul Rockboard 60 - best LF absorber Roxul makes?

On their site, the specs say that for a 3" piece, at 125 Hz it's coefficient is 0.78. That seems to be the highest I've found at that frequency/thickness.

http://www.roxul.com/graphics/RX-NA/...d60-8-7-07.pdf

Should I take a look at anything else or is this Rockboard 60 my best bet? I'm going to be doubling these up so that they're 6". My room currently has some pretty nasty stuff going on even under 100 Hz so I want to tame everything as far down as possible. I plan to put up foam around the room too, so HFs are not a concern right now.

I live in Canada, so 703/705 is not easily available but the Roxul stuff is (and it seems just as good or better actually). Price is not an issue (within reason!) and neither is weight. Thanks!
10th April 2008
Old 10th April 2008
Lives for gear

Acoustics is not intuitive. As bass trap thickness increases, less dense material is better. For 6"traps fully filled, Rockboard 40 is better.

Andre
danbronson
10th April 2008
Old 10th April 2008
Lives for gear

I didn't realize that! Thanks for the response.

So I guess the question becomes, is Rockboard 40 my best bet for 6" traps where really low frequencies are concerned?
10th April 2008
Old 10th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbronson View Post
I didn't realize that! Thanks for the response.

So I guess the question becomes, is Rockboard 40 my best bet for 6" traps where really low frequencies are concerned?
Your welcome. Best is avery subjective term. Rockboard offers ease of use. Safe n Sound offers great bang for buck. Fibrex, OFI, Knauf etc all make equivalent products. Ask for "4.0lb/ft^3 rigid mineral wool" and compare prices, delivery times, etc.

Good Luck!

Andre
11th April 2008
Old 11th April 2008
Gear Head

I picked up Rockboard60 and will be making superchunks out of it. I don't see a problem at all with it doing a good job for that application. Just by placing the stuff in the room has made a huge difference and I have not even put it up yet. Go with the more denser stuff. According to Ethan he did a test with different densities and the more dense the material the better it was. It was even better with the frk in front of it as well.
31st May 2008
Old 31st May 2008
Lives for gear

I'm just about to make some 4" panels and a few superchunks. Is 4lb/ft3 fine (rockboard 40) or would 6lb/ft3 (rockboard 60) be a better idea? I'm not going to frame them so if the 60 is much more rigid it seems I might have to get that.
thanks!
31st May 2008
Old 31st May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iangomes View Post
I'm just about to make some 4" panels and a few superchunks. Is 4lb/ft3 fine (rockboard 40) or would 6lb/ft3 (rockboard 60) be a better idea? I'm not going to frame them so if the 60 is much more rigid it seems I might have to get that.
thanks!
Acoustically the 4 lb/ft^3 is better. Roxul makes several types of insulation at that density with various amounts of rigidity. You can probably find a 4 lb/ft^3 material that has similar rigidity to the 6 lb/ft^3 material.

Andre
31st May 2008
Old 31st May 2008
Lives for gear

great! thanks. Is the rockwool 40 the same as 703? I did a search but some people said yes they are the same and some people said rockwool can cruble easily. I"m not going to take my panels out for a night on the town but i don't wnt them to break and I have to make new ones.
thanks
31st May 2008
Old 31st May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iangomes View Post
Is the rockwool 40 the same as 703? I did a search but some people said yes they are the same and some people said rockwool can cruble easily. I"m not going to take my panels out for a night on the town but i don't wnt them to break and I have to make new ones.
Acoustically for practical purposes they are the same. As far as crumbling etc., go to the suppliers and feel the materials yourself. you posted earlier that you are not going to frame the absorbers. 703 can not be used with out a frame for support in panels, so comparing it is meaningless. Only you can decide if crumbliness is acceptable.

Andre
1st June 2008
Old 1st June 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks Andre, I appreciate the help.
lol, crumbliness is a funny word.
Thanks again!
Ian
2nd June 2008
Old 2nd June 2008
Gear nut

For superchunks corner, Safe and Sound is hard enough, have similar absortion quality, and is many times much cheaper than Rockboard.

I suggest you take a look into it.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search