How to mount acoustic foam?
New Reply
Subscribe
springs
6th June 2004
Old 6th June 2004
Gear nut

How to mount acoustic foam?

How do you mount foam on a wall? The wall is painted sheetrock...the foam is cheapo Auralex-looking stuff. I've tried two dumb-ass methods so far. Lessons learnt: nails thru the foam into the wall don't work well as the nails then sort of tear through or out of the foam, and double-sided adhesive tape works for a few hours then the foam drops off, especially if there's humidity.

Basically looking for a pretty cheap and effective way to keep it up there on the wall! Help please... (Nothing too expensive or sophisticated if possible - it's a shitty square apartment room that with hope I'll be moving out of into a 'proper' studio in about 6 months!)

Jules, I know foam isn't exactly gear...so move thread if necessary...it's just that people are so damn helpful and responsive in this forum! Peace out
6th June 2004
Old 6th June 2004
Lives for gear

dude have i got the answer! (two answers actually)

1) go to home depot and get those wooden strips they use to hold carpet along the edges of the walls. you wail the nail side into the walls, and then hang the foam on the little spikey barbs. works awesome. try to get the at least a few of the "nails" to hit into a stud area whenever possible. do one strip at the top and one at the bottom. these carpet nailer wood strips tend to be warped, so you will have to throw out some to get to the good straight ones. you will be putting small yet observable holes in the walls, so be lease-wary of this. but imho a good quick spackle job/repaint should be able to fix this when it's time for you to move out.

2) another idea is to mount a thin board backing to the top edge area (using spray adhesive) of the foam panel and then hang them like a picture, adding some weight to the bottom area so it hangs flush. maybe even spray adhesive-attaching a thin board backing to the whole back, then you can take them on and off the wall to adjust acoustics, turn them sideways, etc. this is an idea i have floating in my mind for the next time i have to do some mounting.
6th June 2004
Old 6th June 2004
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via AIM to MASSIVE Master
I use one of those new Craftsman staple guns into the valley of Auralex sheets. The Craftsman in particular because of the accuracy and pressure (it's the one that pushed toward the staple instead of away from it, allowing one-handed full-force). You've got to hit it hard and right in the valley or it dimples.

That carpet-tack strip idea sounds pretty cool, though... Never thought of that one...

Spoon-feed a newb some answer and he'll mix for a day -
Get him to *think* about it and figure it out for himself and he'll mix for a lifetime --- JS
6th June 2004
Old 6th June 2004
Gear Guru

You can just glue it directly to the wall. the 3m spray adhesive is pretty good for a permanent mounting. Better than the caulking gun type stuff like liquid nails.

Just be careful positioning it, because you don't get much wiggle room once it grabs

I did some of my foam with the thin backing idea- exactly as presented by genericperson - a sort 'shiny' masonite type stuff spray glued across most of the foam panel- and then used the heavy duty velcro to hang it = hooks on the wall, loops on the board.

The velcro will not stay if glued onto the foam directly, but it stays put on a board.
jho
6th June 2004
Old 6th June 2004
jho
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to jho
Two Words:

"Liquid Nails"

Totally easy. Home depot, Lowes, etc. It's what you want. Fast, easy, holds. If you use just little round dollups then it's easy to take down if you ever move your studio without tearing up the foam. Note, you will have to paint the room when you leave, though. Be careful when taking off so you don't pull the paper off the sheet rock (dry wall mud will fix if you goof)

It's what Primeacoustics, etc ship with their acoustic foam btw.
6th June 2004
Old 6th June 2004
Gear nut

I just finished lining my "2nd bedroom" in an apartment with acoustic foam - it's plaster on brick, I'm pretty sure. Given that I can't mark the walls, I found some craft glue at a hardware store that holds really well, but will peel off when I need to move.

It's by "UHU", for "polystyrene foam & craft foils". Did the job.
springs
6th June 2004
Old 6th June 2004
Gear nut

THANKS!
6th June 2004
Old 6th June 2004
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by jho
Two Words:

"Liquid Nails"

Totally easy. Home depot, Lowes, etc. It's what you want. Fast, easy, holds. If you use just little round dollups then it's easy to take down if you ever move your studio without tearing up the foam. Note, you will have to paint the room when you leave, though. Be careful when taking off so you don't pull the paper off the sheet rock (dry wall mud will fix if you goof)

It's what Primeacoustics, etc ship with their acoustic foam btw.
Liquid Nails X2

I am embarrassed how much Auralex I wasted my money on in my life, but I have installed 200 panels easily. Liquid Nails will hold Lenrds too.
At the time I had no idea what I was doing.
My studio looks good but sounds like dog crap...The stuff is ambient / tone killer in the hands of a rookie.
6th June 2004
Old 6th June 2004
Lives for gear

Caulk is cheaper than liquid nails and works just as well.

Unless it's heavy foam.
6th June 2004
Old 6th June 2004
Lives for gear

If you wanna save money on buying more Auralex if you need to move your stuff or reposition try fixing the foam to thin 5mm Hardboard leaving an overhang on any sides to allow screw holes, nails etc.

You can then either mount the hardboard direct to the wall or hang the foam like a picture.

Cheers,
Rich
jho
7th June 2004
Old 7th June 2004
jho
Lives for gear

RichT - that avatar is a little disturbing.

How about some Juggies from The Man Show instead?

*Disclaimer* This picture of Vanessa Juggy from The Man Show posted ONLY as a favor to RichT. Any further looking at the picture is prohibited.
Attached Thumbnails
How to mount acoustic foam?-juggies_vanessa.jpg  
7th June 2004
Old 7th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jho
RichT - that avatar is a little disturbing.

How about some Juggies from The Man Show instead?

*Disclaimer* This picture of Vanessa Juggy from The Man Show posted ONLY as a favor to RichT. Any further looking at the picture is prohibited.
Yeah, you're right. I found a picture uglier than the nekkid men - my face.

Nice juggies.
jho
7th June 2004
Old 7th June 2004
jho
Lives for gear

Nice Mug
springs
7th June 2004
Old 7th June 2004
Gear nut

Hey, just to follow up, I got this really thin stuff - hard to describe, it almost looks like wood-backed formica-ish stuff, but flexible - at Home Creepo in their little cut-out bin. It was just the basically the thinnest stuff I could find. I used 3M extra strength spray adhesive and attached it to the foam - drove 2 nails thru the foam and backing and the Auralex is hanging on the walls no problemo!

Only bad part is the little nail holes for us renters - a spackle and pain will patch it up, as was said above, if you need to worry about such things. I'm feeling guilty spraying the 3M shit (chemicals...aerosol...great for the environment!) but damn, it kicks ass. Thanks.
26th June 2010
Old 26th June 2010
Gear interested

Acoustic Foam Attachment

I used button cap roofing nails with green caps, and finish nails. length of your choice in my last studio. Worked well for ten years
Rob
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Gear interested

Well if you're looking for a less permanent solution, here's what I did:

I rent a room, so nail or glue definitely wont work. All you need is double sided foam tape that has a weight grade good enough for your foam. Your issue will then be the foam coming off the tape, but the tape should be strong enough to stick to the wall. What I did as a cheap but laborous solution, was to cut strips of tape equal to the width of a staple bullet, stick them onto the foam, then secure the tape with the staple bullet, lodging it into the acoustic foam. When you do stick the foam on the wall, the double sided tape secures the staple bullet, and the staple bullet secures the foam from falling. Ofcourse, this method is more useful for smaller and lighter panels, but given enough tape and bullets, it should work.

Here's a pic:
http://postimage.org/image/rtv50101h/
note: I used the tape really sparingly, but yeah, just put enough to hold it up.
The black lines are staple bullets lodged into the acoustic foam.
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jho View Post
OK, I will continue to not drool while not looking. And also not think about how to mount Vanessa Juggy while trying to get back on topic.
17th December 2012
Old 17th December 2012
Gear Guru

CD

This is not my idea, but I do like to broadcast it because it causes smiles. Came from JHBrandt if I remember correctly.
Glue CD's to the back of the foam. Thumbtack in the wall. Hook the hole of the CD over the thumbtack.

DD
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

Translucent silicon, enough grab to hold it till dry and if you need to get it down no horrid stuck bits of hard glued foam or wallpaper/paint peeling off/discolouration, instead a soft rubber like thread which comes off easy.

You must get pure silicon though, nothing else. (do not use bath sealant unless it is 100pct translucent silicon)

Barry Gardner
SafeandSound online mastering
Mastering audio examples
Highly experienced, low rates, high end analogue. Manley Massive Passive (hardware), PMC IB1S, Summit Audio DCL-200, Vari Mu compressor, Sontec style custom analogue EQ, Benchmark DAC1 (HDR), Large client list and Biog.Visit site for lots of great information on audio mastering.
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

Use velcro or place the foam on a wood frame and cover it with fabric

http://www.onlineacoustics.com - Acoustics !

http://www.mel-music.com
- project of mine with a female singer

http://www.sonicflames.com - Indie Label & Audio/Music Services

http://www.spinousmusic.com
- my one man band project
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

"T" pins

24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
This is not my idea, but I do like to broadcast it because it causes smiles. Came from JHBrandt if I remember correctly.
Glue CD's to the back of the foam. Thumbtack in the wall. Hook the hole of the CD over the thumbtack.

DD
Nice idea, but one could also use heavy paper or balsa wood the same way.

+1 for Bluetac if you rent.
6th June 2013
Old 6th June 2013
Gear interested

Hi, I know this thread is specifically dealing with walls, however here's one for doors / cupboards etc... with 0 damage...
I found 2 old luggage straps lying around, which worked beautifully to mount the foam to my door... Another thing I found to be quite handy, was some "L" brackets - basically screwed in at the top of the door where it's unlikely anyone will ever notice any holes, and there was just enough space between the door and frame for them to fit - leaving me the option of mounting a backboard later if necessary again, with almost 0 damage to the house... hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
How to mount acoustic foam?-door-treatment.jpg  
7th June 2013
Old 7th June 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig.nel6@gmail View Post
I found 2 old luggage straps lying around, which worked beautifully to mount the foam to my door... Another thing I found to be quite handy, was some "L" brackets - basically screwed in at the top of the door where it's unlikely anyone will ever notice any holes, and there was just enough space between the door and frame for them to fit - leaving me the option of mounting a backboard later if necessary again, with almost 0 damage to the house... hope this helps
interesting solution!
7th June 2013
Old 7th June 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig.nel6@gmail View Post
Hi, I know this thread is specifically dealing with walls, however here's one for doors / cupboards etc... with 0 damage...
I can't say this idea ever dawned on me, but I like the outside-the-box thinking! (And the doorknob hole )
15th June 2013
Old 15th June 2013
Gear interested

I know this is kind of resurrecting an old thread, but I FINALLY figured it out!!! For those of you that rent and cannot mark on the walls...

Get some 3M Command Poster strips. About 4 bucks for 12. And get a hot glue gun and glue. All you have to do is remove the covering on the Command strips, and then either glue the non-wall side directly to the foam and place on wall, or stick the strip to the wall, then place glue on it and press the foam into the glue and strip and against the wall. The strip is plenty strong to hold Auralex type panels but will come off completely clean. The adhesive on the strip will not hold the foam but the glue will, HOWEVER, it is not a SUPER strong bond, and the foam will come off with a bit of tugging. AND the glue will peel off the foam as well and won't tear, melt, dissolve, or otherwise damage the foam. Its PERFECT....so far, at least YMMV, good luck!
15th June 2013
Old 15th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE Master View Post
I use one of those new Craftsman staple guns into the valley of Auralex sheets. The Craftsman in particular because of the accuracy and pressure (it's the one that pushed toward the staple instead of away from it, allowing one-handed full-force). You've got to hit it hard and right in the valley or it dimples.

That carpet-tack strip idea sounds pretty cool, though... Never thought of that one...
Yup - Staplegun.

Cdlt
28th November 2013
Old 28th November 2013
Gear interested

Fixing acoustic treatment to walls

Well here's an idea outside the square for those leasing to minimising damage.
Velcro adhesives!
$4.50 at Bunning's for a pack of twelve.
Work a treat without damaging foam or wall.

My view.

Sig
4 Weeks Ago
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Gear nut

Old thread but came upon it doing a search for this very question. What I finally did was use a couple of old cardboard boxes I had, cut squares slightly less than 2'x2' and fasten the foam panels to them using T-pins. Bend the pins over on the back. Then used 'damage-free hangers' on the walls. All you can see is the foam.

Amazon.com: Command Large Picture-Hanging Strips, White, 4-Strip: Home Improvement

Pins....Amazon.com: Du-Bro 253 1-1/4" Nickel Plated T-Pin (Quantity/Package: 100 ): Toys & Games

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search