I'm not trying to compare apples and oranges, I'm simply looking for a polysynth (+ if it can be performance oriented) which sounds like the Prophet VS! I mean, I'm just in love with that gritty digital OST feel and I got 1800€ to spend.
So why not directly grab one? Well:
- I read somewhere that they are quite fragile and repairs are ridiculously expensive; (so performance not recommended)
- I'm sort of reluctant to drop 2000€ on a 25 year old digital synth even though it sounds amazing;
- I also heard it's a bitch to program and tweak in live use;
- I have a SCOPE rig with Vectron which supposedly has all the VS wavetables but for some reason the lack of a vector controller makes it almost worthless (key here is expressing music in a live context);
So then I come upon the poly evolver which seems right up my alley for OST/industrial/psychedelic sounds however:
- 4 voices for a performance synth seems a bit iffy (a triad and a one note bassline);
- Can it really be used for performance/gigging? It seems a bit bigger and perhaps as fragile as the VS, can the new PE ones handle heavy tweaking?
- It has all the VS wavetables, but has any effort, preset bank or otherwise, been made to make it sound like a VS? It doesn't have a vector joystick though... Any thoughts on how such a thing can be added? A second controller? How about an old Neuron VS controller?
I'm open to suggestions on alternatives (like an old SQ80 or Wavestation), or even a MIDI controller with Joystick + and a Pinknoise sample bank... ANYTHING!! I'm not really stuck on the hardware per se, but mostly on the sound, and the live use of the latter.
Thanks for any help (sorry if this overlaps another thread on here)