Gotta be these guys.....
I urge you bass guys to hear this informative interview. I have been playing 25 years and learned so much from it!
As for those who are mortals (like most of us) an ideal bass player:
- Doesn't play it like a guitar (most of the time).
- Has knowledge of equipment.
- Has his/her own style, but can play good covers as well.
- Is not a failed guitarist, but has set out to play bass from the start.
- Is not a guitarist who plays bass as a secondary instrument (like me: I can pretend to play bass, but am NOT a bass player)
- Has their own technique
- Contributes to musical process in the band.
- Can play sessions.
- Can use fingers and pick.
I'm sure I've left somethings out.
LOVE all this bass talk in this forum all of a sudden!
DSI MEK, DSI Prophet '08, Yamaha DX-7, Roland Gaia, Roland Alpha Juno 1, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Monotribe, Yamaha AN1x, Korg X-50
Ibanez Artcore A85 JazzBox, Ibanez SZR720BB, 1989 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 1981 Gibson ES-335, 1986 Fender JapStrat.
Roland RE-201 Space Echo, MXR Carbon Copy Delay, MXR Analog Stereo Chorus, Digitech RP-1000 MFX
Amps: Fender HR Deluxe 112, Peavey KB100
Zoom HD16 Hardware Recorder, Cubase 5, Yamaha HS50m Monitors