View Single Post
26th February 2012
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheebs Goat View Post
You think smells and atmosphere and the physical effort to do or not do something do not make a difference in the final sound? I couldn't disagree more.

Anyway, to chime in on the whole "digital can model 1000 tape decks in one plugin while you can only own 4 actual decks" bit: Drums are great illustrations of this.
A plugin can have hundreds of snare drums sampled. But each drum on it's own is what it is, and that's all it can ever be. You can get maybe a dozen or so hits on each drum and then choose how you want to mix the mics that were in the room when the samples were recorded.

With one single actual physical drum, I can strike it a literally infinite number of ways. Sure, most of those infinite strikes will start sounding same-ish...but then I can twist lugs. I can loosen the snare. I can pick up a brush. I can pick up a heavier stick. I can put a whole new type of head on there. I can use moon gel or a wallet or a stuffed animal and duct tape. I can use a different mic. I can move the mics anywhere. I can use any number of mics. I can put the drum in a stairway or outside or anything in between. I can put 87 pennies in the shell. Hell, I can even sample it after the take and still have the benefit of augmenting the performance in editing.

A digital simulation totally loses the "you can do ANYTHING" aspect of reality. Crossing that gap is not anywhere near the horizon.
Thank you, good sir !

In any case, some these fellows are putting electronics in a different category than acoustic instruments ... I suppose I am putting them in the same category as instruments with the limitless possibilities.

I felt I illustrated how I recently achieved a result I can't fathom happening in the digital realm. While it may seem technically possible, it's realistically impossible -- the situation would never present itself in a way that makes it possible.

thus, there will always be a place for, and a different result in, the analog domain.