View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
I don't think I've ever heard anyone knowledgeable say that pro tools is any better than any other daw for audio recording. For file and project management it is really great, and it's a very fast pro level tool once you learn all of the keyboard shortcuts etc. But better? nope.

I'd like to know where you keep hearing people say this:

At pro audio stores? ignore them - they don't know what they're talking about at stores mostly.

In low budget amateur circles? How would they know? They can only afford one product, often the cheapest or most famous is their choice.

In recording school? Do NOT trust anything you learn in recording school as a true industry standard or in fact as vaguely current information.
For large scale tracking and editing, I absolutely think PT is better than Logic. You can't edit to sample accuracy with Logic in the main window - yes, you can use the sample editor, but not on multiple tracks. That alone is a deal breaker for me.

If you're only doing smaller, one or two track overdubs, you're not needing to get too detailed in your audio editing, or you mainly program - logic all the way. I tend to notice when people have recorded audio in logic and send it to be mix - the comps are often not very good, vocal breaths hacked in half, glitchy edits, and so on. Obviously the operative has a big part to play, but I think PT makes it easier to be conscientious, and logic kind of hides everything away that it doesn't think you need to know about - even the logic fade graphics are kind of bodged, "well it kinda does this but hey, don't worry about it" efforts.

I don't fall into any of the above categories - this is all from working experience.