View Single Post
27th November 2007
Old 27th November 2007
Lives for gear

First off: Thanks to the fine reps from these companies that are guesting the forum here. Your contributions are simply invaluable.

On to the black heart of this particularly dark matter:

If an artist ELECTS to give a piece of his art away, that is their own prerogative. I have no problem with this.

HOWEVER,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbrother View Post
We are going to have to think of new ways to make money from music: Recordings now are not as desirable a product as once they were, because they can be gotten for free. It is pointless to argue that it is stealing (even though, of course, it is), as everybody is doing it now anyway.
Free = without worth = worthless

We do all realize this, right?

This is not what I want my entire life's work, my inspiration, my driving force, my reason for existing on this planet to become.

Worthless.

So, shut it down. Turn off the supply. Tag songs, follow the trails. Warn filesharers once, then pull their access and prosecute them. Same with content providers. Prosecute the sites. Break down their doors, arrest the employees, confiscate the servers. At the very least, make it a little more difficult. A little less easy. A little riskier.
Make it ILLEGAL.

Perhaps a few more (or a whole lot more) soccer moms need to be arrested before popular opinion shifts back to (what is obviously) common sense regarding acknowledged theft. We ARE discussing THEFT. I imagine if mommy and daddy are fined a few thousand dollars for juniors DL habit, they might revisit their own personal views on the rights and wrongs of this subject. If this were to take place, how long would it take for global "popular opinion" and/or perception to experience a major paradigm shift? Not long.

Simple questions, folks: Exactly what part of stealing is open to debate? It's "okay because everyone does it"? Why do we have laws? Why are laws enforced? Is this an anarchy?

Casey
SC Digital Services

Bob Olhsson wrote on 17th September 2002, 12:56 PM:
"Music is being used to sort consumers rather than to entertain people."