View Single Post
18th November 2007
Old 18th November 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to juniorhifikit Send a message via Skype™ to juniorhifikit
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTuneCore View Post
Music isn't dead. Music is alive and well. More people are making more music than ever before, and it's getting heard.

The only thing that changes is how a business model or industry function as things change in the way people buy, sell, steal, make and listen to music. And that question is just too darn big to discuss here.
steal being the operative word here...

Quote:
A short answer: maybe the OLD way of conducting the music industry, with its expectations of certain profit margins, ROIs and cashflow, is "dying" (I'd have to argue even that, but you have to start somewhere). Even if it is, one model's "death" is a new model's "opportunity."
"music industry" and "profit margins" are business terms - I don't see any resemblance to a business model as long as stealing is allowed.

Quote:
Don't forget this has happened before: how the publishing industry (scores printed on paper) trembled when phonorecord delivery appeared! The publishers are hardly out of business, despite more than a century after Edison. Just a thought.

--Peter
peter@tunecore.com
Agreed - publishing adapted to include recorded music. Unfortunately we're looking at a much more complicated problem. I'm waiting with baited breath for a solution so we can get back to a healthy business model for artists and their industry. I feel that as long as stealing is allowed, a solution will not be found.