View Single Post
georgia
16th March 2007
Old 16th March 2007

My Recordings/Credits

some thoughs from a different thread I figured might be useful here

Television standards are most definitely not.

If you are going to mix for delivery to Broadcast you must absolutly beyond a shadow of a doubt get a written copy of the delivery specs for the SPECIFIC broadcaster you are delivering to.

Every broadcaster has DIFFERENT SPECS! I have a 3" binder FULL of specs from all sorts of broadcast facilities, cable companies, individual corporations that provide content to broadcasters, etc.... I would share this, BUT, they are company confidential. In most cases You can ask for them when you are delivering program material, but its notoriously hard to get the written tech specs out of the hands of the broadcasters.. Why? it's beyond me! I have no clue as to why they are go greedy about their specific specs, but it the way things are. But, anyway, get a copy of the spec for your given delivery.

The specs will generally call for
Peak limits, LM100 Dialnorm settings, Track positions, general levels, what goes on what track... etc etc.

Also don't forget who your listening audience is. It ranges from MONO TV sets with the speaker in the BACK of the set facing the wall all the way up to people like me who listen to TV on huge genelec 5.1 systems!

So besides meeting all the delivery physical specs, and boy there are some crazy specs out there... you need to still mix a "good" program.

ok.. here are some delivery spec examples:

"-20 db full scale where 0VU corresponds to -20 dbfs AES signals"
"The peak level cannot exceed +10VU Reference SMPTE RP155"
"Line mode compression - Film Standard"
"Mix level 105db"
"Lt/Rt 0.707 (-3db)"
"Tape Format HDCAM or SRW"
"Channel 1 - Left Channel 2 - Right Channel 7&8 - Dolby E"
"Dialognorm -27"
"Nominal Operating Level -20 db (LAeq)

or this....

"Stereo audio must be fully mono compatable"
"The audio mix should also be well balanced and equalized, with dialogue and narration clearly able to be heard"
"Program audio must reflect tone level"
"audio levels are evaluated using three different measurements, audio signal peak, average loudness, and dialogue loudness"
"Peak audio levels are evaluated using a digital true-peak meter with zero rise response"
"Assuming a reference level of -20 dBFS, peak audiomay not rise above -10 dBFS at any point in the program"
" (place broadcaster name here) also requires that program dialogue levels be analyzed using a Dolby LM100 broadcast loudness meter."
"assuming a reference level of -20 dBFS (+4dBu) VU levels should consistantly fall between -26dBFS and -28dBFS as an average for the entire program."

or this

"The audio dynamic range of commercial materials must be suitable for television broadcast."
"Related to test level ( nominal -20dbFS), instantaneous peaks must not exceed -2dbFS"
"Average peaks should not exceed -8dbFS."
"Average Dialogue should not exceed -27dbFS."
"Dialogue norm = -25dB"

So you can see that there are some basic "Sort-of-standards" but when you get into the nity gritty of each delivery spec..... ,BTW, these just scratch the surface of the actual spec documents... you will see extensive in consistancies and varying requirements between actual hard delivery requirements.

We did a series of NAPA parts commericials for Superbowl last year ( not tihs past one ) and we had to create 7 different physical tapes with 7 different mixes to meet the delivery requirements for all the deliveries...

cheers
geo